Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
HEALING - Answer to your question new
      #273202 - 07/09/06 01:48 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Healing,

You posted saying you couldn't figure out how to POST a NEW message, right? All you could do was reply?

If you go to the opening page of the appropriate Board ("IBS Diet", "IBS Recipes", etc.), there is a LIGHT BLUE bar beneath a green bar, that has a bunch of functions listed. "Post" is one of them.

Once you click that, you can post a completely new message. Make sure you do a clear Subject heading.

Once you are done writing, you click the "Continue" button at the bottom and that posts your message.

When you come back to check on responses, you might have to go through a few pages of newer posts in order to find it...just be forewarned.

Hope that helps!

~ E.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hang on a minute... new
      #273205 - 07/09/06 02:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The key word there is theory.

#273206 - 07/09/06 02:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I agree with you Sand.

#273217 - 07/09/06 05:36 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I've read a few things, and continue to be confused on a few areas.

Are SIBO and IBS two distinct things?
Since I tested positive in the breathe test, does this mean I have SIBO, IBS, only SIBO, or the two?

If I take Xifaxan is it alleged this will cure the SIBO, IBS, or what my ailments are, if so, will I feel as I did before and be able to eat anything?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Absolute nonsense new
      #273239 - 07/09/06 08:36 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I went to a nutritionist who tried to feed me the same theory. It is absolute bunk! What Sand said is correct according to every GI doctor I have talked to. These are two mutually exclusive ailments.

Re: Absolute nonsense new
      #273242 - 07/09/06 09:35 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

So, if somebody has SIBO, they have SIBO alone not IBS as their ailment?

Is this generally accepted?
As far I am concerned, I was positive for the breathe test, does this mean I have SIBO and not IBS, and that if given Xifaxan I should be good and can go back to eating as I used to eat before?

I find this hard to imagine that SIBO and IBS have the exact same symptoms but are mutually exclusive.

From essentially all I have read from Heather, I have the same major symptomes, bloating being the biggest, c, trapped gas, and the trigger foods HEather lists, even so much as eating insoluable fiber on a low stomach, all make me ill.
So how can it be they can be identical yet not mutually exclusive?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Absolute nonsense new
      #273245 - 07/09/06 11:39 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you that. All I know is when I asked my doctor about what the nutritionist told me, my doctor told me that bacterial overgrowth is something totally different from IBS and the theory that IBS is caused by bacteria is not true.

My two cents: If your doctor diagnosed you with SIBO then focus on treating that first with his/her guidance. If it doesn't go away then look at it from an IBS standpoint. I really don't know what else to tell you. I'd talk to your doctor about this instead of all of us here.

they are different by definition, because IBS is a functional disorder new
      #273255 - 07/10/06 05:03 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

which means if you slice up an IBS patient's insides, you would find NOTHING out of the ordinary. No celiac disease, no blockages, no ulcers, and no bacterial overgrowth. IBS is a rule-out diagnosis, meaning it's the conclusion doctors give when there is no physical problem. IBS is diagnosed when everything looks like it should work right, but for some reason, the muscles and fluids can't coordinate themselves properly (maybe because of bad signals from the brain). Bacterial overgrowth is a physical situation that can be the culprit for the digestive problems you are experiencing. If you eliminate that physical problem and you are still not functioning properly, then an IBS dianosis may be in order. But it is illogical to say that a phsysical problem (SIBO) and a functional problem (IBS) are the same thing.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Absolutely correct new
      #273256 - 07/10/06 05:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...and so perfectly stated that I can't add anything, only reiterate:

IBS is "diagnosed" by default when everything else has been ruled out. If you've been diagnosed with something other than IBS, then THAT's what you have, not IBS.

Great post, Dr. Panda - clear, vivid, thorough, and succinct. -nt- new
      #273272 - 07/10/06 06:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3725 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review