All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Warning: Explicit salad comment
      #272053 - 07/01/06 07:27 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I am frustrated--I have been for years about consuming salads.
I don't know if I should just "accept" it as normal for one with IBS-D and continue trying over & over & over again. It would seem futile, however salads taste delicious.

I consume my SF first, lately some sort of "starchy" food and often SF veggies. I save a small salad for "dessert." It is topped with fat free salad dressing, either storebought or homemade. Within half an hour of consuming this salad I see it exits my body rather explicitly, virtually unchanged (okay, sorry if it is TMI, basically the chewed up version of what was in the bowl).

Does this ever change for anyone with IBS-D? Is this my fate forever? (I'm seeing my G.I. in July to wine/complain, etc. and update) I don't get gassy with salad--it's not inside of me long enough to give me gas. Is it a waste of time and energy to even bother having a salad course?

My menus are jokes--hardly "real" food.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Warning: Explicit salad comment new
      #272061 - 07/01/06 08:35 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Kate it's been a year for me and I still don't do salads well. I'm D also and yep, pretty fast exit for some raw veggies. I make myself stick to cooked veggies. Sometimes I do just crave a salad and eat it just to get it out of my system (pun intended). That is not a fun way to eat for me so I don't do it very often, can't think of when I ate one last. But heck, some days I can't remember breakfast this late in the day!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

check the salad dressing!! new
      #272075 - 07/01/06 10:58 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

if it's fat-free, there's bound to be something in it that makes it fat-free. it's probably a preservative or additive that is a major trigger and making you have bad D attacks. check for sorbitol, mannitol, aspartame, HFCS.... any of those will send you straight for the bathroom! BEWARE

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#272095 - 07/02/06 06:56 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I too have the salad frustration. I am IBS-A but I used to eat salads all the time. On an empty stomach and my meal was the salad. I tried to have one a couple of weeks ago and it did not go well. Just as you describe it did not send me into attack mode but it didn't stay in my body at all. I wonder if I have made my body intolerant to things I used to eat by eliminating them for awhile. It is like my body doesn't know what to do with it anymore and rejects it

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#272105 - 07/02/06 09:08 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I swing to the c mode but am in love with them as well. But I get the bloat!

I have other things I miss like you do salads--NUTS! But, accept the things you can not change--FOR TODAY! You never know about the future.

Removing the mental anguish of what if is a peaceful thing.

Hang in there babe!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: check the salad dressing!! new
      #272124 - 07/02/06 10:08 AM
Wind

I don't think it's the dressing--I usually make my own or leave the salad naked (i.e. undressed and eat the lettuce plain as one might eat carrots or celery or cucumber). My own dressings are generally vinegar-based (plain rice vinegar, balsalmic, champagne, sherry, etc.) & sometimes incorporate dijon mustard or herbs or lemons/limes, but not always.

I think it's like a mini-montezuma effect, I guess. It's mostly disappointing because salads are my favourite food of all and somehow they make the other foods "taste" better probably because of the contrasts in textures and flavours, etc. I limit the lettuces to less than 2 cups and still experience the little marathon to the bathroom. (Even my relatives & friends do, which is embarrassing)

I've had this "effect" for at least ten years, now to varying degrees. I keep stupidly hoping it will change, but it doesn't.

Small amounts of cooked leafy greens don't do this to me when I eat them with a sound SF source and in stable mode.

It just really sucks, especially in the summer, when all you really want is a salad for its cooling effect.

Kate, IBS-D.

Bethany it's creepy new
      #272125 - 07/02/06 10:10 AM
Wind

It's creepy, it's it? It's like our bodies just reject it and literally "spit" it out. Oh well. It's the bum-rap. Every once in awhile I try a tiny salad with that same effect.

It's nice, though, to know that I'm not alone in this.

Kate, IBS-D.

#272126 - 07/02/06 10:12 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I've given up on salads as well, even though I love them too. Basically I can't eat ANY veggies or fruit (maybe green beans on a good day with SF of course). I also love cucumbers and cantaloupe but I get sharp, stabbing pains behind my belly button, bloating, and gas. I know I need veggies and fruit, so I'm trying to follow the advice of others here and eat them the safe way. BTW, I too have seen what I just ate come back out. I've been told there is no way for the food to pass through that fast, but I have seen it with my own eyes (unfortunately)

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Lol--"to get it out of your system!" new
      #272128 - 07/02/06 10:14 AM
Wind

Great pun, franny.

Yes, that's exactly it--I have one just "to get it out of my system."

Most of my family/friends just don't understand that I do not process lettuce/raw vegetables.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Bethany it's creepy new
      #272169 - 07/02/06 03:29 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

you are definitely not alone on this one. You and I also share a love for cooked and chilled baby carrots don't we? I love them but cannot have them raw without pain. Sooo this is my new way of getting my veggies, cooking them, putting them in the fridge to get cold and then eat away. It also makes them sweeter so I don't mind. I have resorted to fruit source bars, or fruit to go bars for my fruit source, raw fruit is not my friend either!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review