All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
How's the Acacia going now, Shell? new
      #280371 - 08/30/06 09:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you still happy with it? I'm increasing on the same schedule as you...but I still have bloat and gas. I don't know if I should keep increasing or actually decrease.

when you increased, where you "stable" at the dose you worked up to before increasing? Or were you still experiencing gas and/or bloat?

Oh, I read that floaters means you have gas in the stool. I wouldn't think floaters was a good thing.

Thanks for your opinion.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How's the Acacia going now, Shell? new
      #280383 - 08/30/06 10:05 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm good to go now!! The gas & bloating is very little and not all the time...so it might just be when I have those no-no foods that are not really IBS safe, but I push my luck sometimes if ya know what I mean. Each time I increased "things" where still "changing" then when the gas & bloating did not decrease....I reduced my daily intake...now I'm at a really good place... no troubles and I go at least twice a day if not more but everything is "formed"....I would call myself "stable"..... I currently take 3 teaspoons two times a day.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#280388 - 08/30/06 10:32 AM
Jordy

Quote:

Each time I increased "things" where still "changing" then when the gas & bloating did not decrease....I reduced my daily intake

I'm sort of confused. You still were having some side effects while you continued to increase...but then you said you reduced your amount. I'm confused. Sorry. But could you help me understand this?

Thank you! Glad you are "stable"!

--------------------

#280390 - 08/30/06 10:43 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Quote:

Each time I increased "things" where still "changing" then when the gas & bloating did not decrease....I reduced my daily intake

I'm sort of confused. You still were having some side effects while you continued to increase...but then you said you reduced your amount. I'm confused. Sorry. But could you help me understand this?

Thank you! Glad you are "stable"!

As I increased my BM's were changing....but in a good way....I went from being "C" and only going once every couple of days to going more times a day, but the consistancy was not what I WANTED it to be in the end. But then when I started to SEE what I wanted....I was still having too much gas, which can mean I was taking too much...so I decreased to the previous amount taken before the last increase and have been there ever since and the gas reduced at well.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Did I give up on acacia too quickly??? new
      #280517 - 08/31/06 12:10 PM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself but it seems like I don't get alot of feedback when I post a question/reply. Anyways.........I'm usually IBS-C and then once in a great while I'll "explode" with diahrrea and painful cramps. So I had a bad attack a month ago and then ended up having panic attacks/anxiety and then ordered the ACACIA and have been on that for 3 weeks and for the past 3 weeks I have been really bad. I've had awful pains every day and have had to take bentyl and vicodin daily. And now I have had diahrrea 4 times each morning and am eating almost nothing and have lost 9 pounds. I went to the dr. for the 3rd time yesterday and he gave me levsin as the bentyl wasn't working. I don't want to go back to being constipated again but this is ridiculous!! I'm weak and shaky every day and in constant stomach pain. I've even done Heathers "break- the-cycle" diet - all to no avail. And I am only doing 1/2 teaspoon twice a day of the Acacia. Any suggestions? Oh, I do the peppermint caps/tea, etc. You name it, I've tried it. It's just so frustating that a month ago I was primarily symptom free and now that I've been doing everything I'm supposed to - I'm a wreck!!! I even have Xanax now to take when I need (I hardly do) in case this is all stress related!! And he gave me Tamadol for the pain but I don't like to take things!!

#280521 - 08/31/06 12:19 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Did you start off very slowly at a low dose of the acacia and increase gradually? When I started it, I took 1/4 tsp once a day for a week and then increased by 1/4 tsp. every week until I felt better.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#280531 - 08/31/06 12:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I started even lower. About 5-6 weeks ago, I started with just 1/8 teaspoon twice a day. I'm currently only up to 1 1/4 teaspoon TOTAL per day. I, like you, started at the recommended 1/2 t. twice daily and it gave me horrible gas and cramps. Try starting at the 1/8 t dose, and if you have no symptoms there, give yourself a week to increase up to 1/4 teaspoon twice daily. That's exactly what I did. Rather than increasing my dosage instantaneously, I did it over a week or so, at the rate of 1/8 t. per week.

I've been on the diet two months and I'm certainly not stable yet! Keep with it!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#280537 - 08/31/06 01:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First, be absolutely certain your doctor knows you had a drastic change in symptoms 3 weeks ago. Even with an IBS diagnosis, any sudden change in symptoms should be thoroughly checked out.

Second, if you think the Acacia is making things worse, stop it totally for at least a few days and see if your tummy calms down.

Third, I understand not wanting to take medicines, but you may need to in order to get through this bad patch. Try taking Levsin/Bentyl regularly throughout the day - it should say on the label how often you can take it. I find Donnatol helpful, but it does contain belladonna, which I think is an opiate. You can also try Imodium, although you run the risk of swinging back to C (which might sound wonderful about now, I know).

Fourth, try to eat. I know it's hard when you feel so awful, but if you can get a regular conga line of food moving through your system rather than just throwing stuff in there infrequently, it might help smooth out the process. Even if you just eat a few pretzels or a half cup of applesauce or a piece of French or Italian bread every hour or so, at least they'll be something going on. And getting some food into you should help with being weak and shaky.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#280569 - 08/31/06 07:05 PM
Jordy

Did you increase by 1/8th teaspoon total for a week. Or did you increase each of your two doses by 1/8th tsp...making it a total of 1/4 a week increase?

Does this amount help you go? Or just hasn't made you worse? As you know,I've increased by 1/2 tsp a week and now up to 3 tsp. I really hate to go backwards....but I hurt so badly tonight...I've never had this bad of sharp pains and cramps.

--------------------

#280612 - 09/01/06 09:21 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I spend an entire week increasing by 1/8 teaspoon TOTAL! Yes, very slowly. But it doesn't give me gas! I'm not increasing right now because I'm trying to add in the Natural Calm, so I don't want to change too many things at once. I don't think I'm yet at a high enough dose to help with C, and my C has been much worse lately because of starting an AD. HOPEFULLY it will help!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 46594

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review