All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy/Vegan products
      #271980 - 07/01/06 07:55 AM
neves4

Reged: 04/30/06
Loc: Redding, CA

Hi there everyone. It's been awhile since I have posted on here, busy busy. Sure wish it would slow down. Anyhow, I imagine there must be tons of posts out there re: soy and vegan products but hopefully someone can just narrow it down for me? Anyone into the Boca brand products? Are they good? I feel stupid but do I understand that the Boca products are made from Soy, correct? I can't imagine a hamburger or sausage tasting good though.

My tough part is snacks. When I am hungry and want something to take with me in the car, everything I think of I shouldn't be eating!! Any suggestions???

Hope everyone is feeling well, I am becoming a bit more stable so this is good!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pretzels are my go-to portable snack. -nt- new
      #271982 - 07/01/06 07:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Pretzels are my go-to portable snack. -nt- new
      #271983 - 07/01/06 08:01 AM
neves4

thx. i do enjoy pretzels and am reading both of heather's books right now where it did mention that. when i read the bag though it says "wheat flour" so is that the type heather mentioned being ok because of the way it is processed or something to that effect?

Wheat flour new
      #271995 - 07/01/06 09:19 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Wheat flour is soluble fiber. That's the flour that's in most pretzels, French and Italian bread, pasta (I think), pizza dough, and so on. Whole wheat flour is IF and must be eaten carefully, that is, with an SF base. The ingredient list should say "whole wheat" if that is what is meant.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Soy/Vegan products new
      #272002 - 07/01/06 11:07 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I used to say the same thing about soy burgers. My husband used to say: "Ye of little faith...." Soy burgers are actually pretty tasty. Boca burgers and sausage links/patties are good and Yves meat products are very good. I'm not a big fan of Morning Star producs. Just be sure to check for dairy in the ingredients. Many of them have cheese. I just go with the Boca flame broiled vegan patties and doctor them up the way I would a normal burger.

Here's a list of products and brands. It includes meats, dairies, and some snacky type things.

"Dairy" products
Blue Diamond Almond Milk (Chocolate can be heated on the stove and makes an excellent hot chocolate)
8th Continent Soy Milk
Trader Joe's Soy Milk
Silk Soy Milk
Tofutti (Check out http://tofutti.com/) Tofutti has a ton of products (alternatives for almost everything dairy) and reps from Tofutti have told me that stores on the east coast (USA) carry many more selections than on the west coast. Many small health food stores will special order products if you ask them. Just take a UPC or know the exact brand and item name.

Cheese
Veggie slices and shreds
Soy-Sation cheese blocks (actually melts like cheese)

Yogurt & Sour Cream
Tofutti Supreme Sour Cream
Silk, Nancy's, and Trader Joe's soy yogurts

Sauces, Soups and Ready Meals
Prego Organic sauces
Del Monte spaghetti sauce (no HFCS)
Imagine Soups (tomato, mushroom, butternut squash)
Amy's no-cheese pizza (I put soy cheese on it)

Meat/Meat Subs/Fish/Tofu
The entire Yves line for meat alts (the pepperoni is so tasty)
Gardenburger soy burgers
Boca soy burgers, sausage, ground round
Seafood: Catfish, White Ruffy, Shrimp, Tilapia, Salmon (baked, steamed, broiled, grilled)

Drinks
Trader Joe's Mango Nectar
Country Time Lemonade mix
Tropicana no-pulp, low-acid orange juice.

Teas
Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice (no caffeine, has a very strong cinnamon flavor)

Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream/Sorbet
Tofutti Cuties and Ice Cream
Soy Dream (Vanilla and Mango Vanilla especially)

Bars, Candy, Cookies and Chips
Trader Joe's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tostitos
Trader Joe's dried fruit (banana chips and unsulfered sweetened mango slices)
Snyder's of Hanover Pretzels (sticks and snaps and garlic nibblers are great) (some of their flavors have lactose in them)

Breakfast Cereal
Kellogg's Corn Pops
Cheerios

Restaurant dishes
Subway Sandwiches

Miscellaneous
Trader Joe's Organic-free range-veggie fed-chicken Eggs (I can tolerate yolks)
Trader Joe's Bird Nests (in the frozen section)
Trader Joe's Stir-fried vegetable Egg Rolls (in the frozen section)
Green Giant tender asparagus spears (canned)
Any brand Canola oil cooking spray (as long as it is only canola oil in the can)

Bread/Pasta/Noodles/Rice
Trader Joe's Bagels (plain and onion-yum!)
Mission Tortillas (I usually use tortillas in place of bread, buns, rolls, etc for almost everything that would need one of those.
Golden Grain Mission pastas (that's what is in my cupboard right now but I've never had trouble with any pasta)
Rice a Roni (chicken, mushroom, chicken with broccoli, use a small amount of canola oil in place of butter)
Trader Joe's Organic pastas

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#272016 - 07/01/06 12:40 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I like the original flavor of Boca burgers. So long as you aren't expecting it to taste like a hamburger, they're not too bad,really.

I also like their breakfast "sausage" patties. My husband really likes them, too, and he doesn't even have tummy trouble and is pretty much a full-on carnivore.

Re: Wheat flour new
      #272225 - 07/02/06 10:19 PM
neves4

Ok...i understand that better-thank you very much! Still trying to learn so much and I keep reading Heather's books over and over and still miss details. Thank you again. Is it the same with "WHOLE GRAIN" too? We want to avoid that, correct??

#272227 - 07/02/06 10:20 PM
neves4

thank all of you for the input on the soy burgers and that's what I wanted to know is if they do taste like a hamburger-good to know they don't so I won't be expecting it! i'll give some of these products a try! thanks!!

#272228 - 07/02/06 10:21 PM
neves4

I really appreciate your list! I also am glad you had emailed me awhile back with lots more info. It is so nice to not be alone in this situation!

#272387 - 07/03/06 10:03 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You are definately not alone. I think that there is a lot of comfort in knowing that you're part of "us" instead of part of "them." It's good to know other people dealing with similar problems for support.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#273929 - 07/13/06 06:33 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

2 words: Morningstar Farms. IMO they are the best of all of 'em.

Bocas have never tasted good to me, though I've heard a lot of ppl. rave about them. Gardenburgers are so-so. Publix (if you live in the South) recently started putting out Greenwise (their "house" organic brand) soy patties... the vegan ones are bland as can be, the vegetarian ones are more flavorful.

Edited to add: The Morningstar Farms "Plain" Chik Patties are GREAT--but the parmesan ranch flavor (besides containing dairy) are WAY too salty.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Edited by GaiasSong (07/13/06 06:37 PM)

#273931 - 07/13/06 06:35 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I wish there was a Trader Joe's near me! We have Aldi, but I think it will be a long time before TJ's casts a glance toward my area.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#273941 - 07/13/06 08:11 PM
JustMe

Reged: 06/29/06
Loc: NY

I was vegge for about 4 years... the boca chicken patties are YUMMMMY

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5098 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1402

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review