All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question re no gallbladder, peppermint tea and questran
      #271417 - 06/28/06 01:03 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I have been searching the boards and the site and the web for answers to my questions and have been unsuccessful. So if they are redundant, I apologize, just point me in the right direction.

I've had my gallbladder out May 2nd, since I read both of Heather's books I knew that there could be problem, with bile and D, and a solution was to take questran (cholestyramine). For those of you who take it do you take it before each meal? And how much? Or is this a trial and error thing?

I found a post from 2 years ago regarding peppermint tea and stimulation of gallbladder should you continue to drink it if you don't have the gallbladder any more. There really wasn't an answer given. Any new opinions?
Thanks
Heather

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question re no gallbladder, peppermint tea and questran new
      #271429 - 06/28/06 02:17 PM
bjeans

Reged: 06/22/06

I'd like to know the answers too, having had my gallbladder out several years ago, and just having ordered peppermint tea!

Heather, I just wanted to tell you that you may find your body slowly changes regarding foods you eat over the next year or two, as your body adjusts to not having a gallbladder. So something you can not eat today you *might* be able to eat a year from now. For me, changes were gradual. I know someone who had his gall bladder out and he could immediately eat lots of stuff he couldn't before. But I bet that's unusual.

#271532 - 06/29/06 07:14 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Very interesting. I know alot of people have been asking me if I can eat "normal" now. And the answer is no, because I still have IBS with or without my gallbladder. I have to admit I did try and eat pizza, ice cream and other high fat food and I did get D. I am hoping the peppermint tea is still ok to drink, I have a feeling it just might be a trial and error type of thing.

--------------------
IBS-D

#278160 - 08/13/06 08:45 AM
NancyB

Reged: 08/13/06

I just registered on this board, so forgive the lapse in response time. I take the generic form of questran -- 1 packet mixed in juice 2 times a day. I take it around breakfast and after dinner -- mostly because it has to be 60-90 minutes after the Nexium I've been taking 2x a day! I don't think it matters whether you take it with a meal. I think the amount to use is trial and error. I've found 2x a day works but 2 years ago when I started on this I read about some people who break it down to 4x a day and other who are just 1x a day. I've been very successful using it. Good Luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review