All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"Fried" Potatoes?
      #270814 - 06/24/06 09:09 AM
DeterminedMOM

Reged: 06/17/06

I used to fry potatoes swimming in olive oil. My (now IBS) daughter loved them. She doesn't mind baked potatoes either, but I'm leary of using even soy butter, and who likes them plain?!? So I've been spraying to bottom of a non-stick pan with Mazola Pure and then frying potato slices and she happily eats them with ketchup...Anybody think this would be a problem? (I know organic ketchup is best, don't have it yet but I'm going to get some asap.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Fried" Potatoes? new
      #270816 - 06/24/06 09:13 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Earth Balance buttery spread is vegan and IBS safe and it tastes just like butter. I've never had a problem with ketchup as long as I use it in moderation. You can also bake the potato slices and then fry them just enough to brown them. Just some ideas. As long as the food seems to sit well with your daughter, I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#270821 - 06/24/06 09:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think what you're doing to make "fries" sounds safe - and yummy. Like hohoyumyum I've never had a problem with regular ketchup.

There are also a number of recipes in the Recipe Index for various types of fries. I make a variation of Crispy Potato Wedges. I peel the potatoes, toss the wedges with a little olive oil, and use garlic salt for flavoring.

As for baked potatoes, I use a little Smart Balance Light on mine.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#270845 - 06/24/06 05:35 PM
DeterminedMOM

Reged: 06/17/06

I have some 100% soy butter sticks (Willow Run brand), but it's still labeled 100% fat. Isn't that "bad?" I know *some* fat is necessary, as is protein, insoluable fiber, etc., but right now we're trying to play it as safe as possible (and not starve or go nuts!) to get her back on track.

#270858 - 06/24/06 09:09 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I've been sauteeing polenta lately as an alternative. Seems safe and yummy. I put a safe spaghetti sauce on it and have with IF veggies.

#270971 - 06/26/06 05:00 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page
Or try this. Thinly slice potatoes (like chips). Seal in a ziploc bag with 1 tbsp oil, sea salt to taste and some pepper . Bake in the oven on a stick free cookie sheet on 375 until done. Flip once.
YUM!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#271013 - 06/26/06 09:08 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Heather recommends no more than 25% of calories from fat. I tolerate that easily, while some people cannot tolerate that much. I do think you're very sensible to keep fat to a minimum while your daughter is trying to stabilize. I'm very fat tolerant now, but when I first started on the EFI Diet fat really bothered me and I used the bare minimum I could get away with.

Since your daughter likes the "fries" you're making now, I say stick with them. Once she's more stable - and wants a change - you can try some of the other suggestions. And while I've never had a problem with regular ketchup, it wouldn't hurt to try the non-HFCS version, again at least until your daughter is stable.

My approach when I first started the EFI Diet was to be overly cautious. Once I got stable, I started branching out a little and have discovered I have a fair amount of leeway. I truly believe, though, that my excessive caution at the beginning is a big part of what got me stable. I think my gut just needed to be treated as kindly as possible for a while.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

That's an awful lot of fat. new
      #271113 - 06/26/06 08:06 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'd look for something else if you need to use "butter" in things she's eating.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2666

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review