All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What is an attack?
      #269792 - 06/16/06 07:35 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I would just be interested to see what different people define as "an attack". It seems like perhaps this is a hugely variable and personal thing. Do you still have *some* symptoms when you are stable but because they are not extreme you feel stable?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is an attack? new
      #269804 - 06/16/06 09:07 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Hey, good question! I've been wondering how others define an attack, too.

I consider it an attack if it's an "OMG, where's the bathroom? I need it NOW!" moment. Or, if I feel the painful waves of gas, I know that moment is coming. I had a couple of attacks last weekend, but I wasn't surprised because I'd eaten some questionable things.

Anyway, I do still consider myself stable. I have been fine the rest of the week, and eaten safely. Occasionally, I still get gassy, but not painfully so. Also, I haven't had to take a Levsin since December.

If I had attacks every day for about a week, I wouldn't consider myself stable anymore.

#269806 - 06/16/06 09:21 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Personally speaking from an ibs-d person. I consider an attack where the pain starts right around my solar plex(right in the middle kinda below the ribs) and then it moves down into my lower intestins/lower back. From there the pain/spasms come in waves until the D starts and after about 2-3 d movements i'm usually fine.

Personally other than the bad timing D can have, if it was just the d i could handle it alot better, but it's the blinding pain, hot flushes, and nausea that really make the whole ibs thing truely depressing for me. Sometimes i will have minor attacks that consist of minimal pain, 1 d movement, then done everything is back to normal those are the happier days. (and i'm damn near jumping for joy when i have a normal bm.. <sigh> that almost seems like a dream now haha )

#269810 - 06/16/06 10:04 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Yes !!!!! It would help me a lot if an IBS-C describes an 'attack' for me. What's the difference between a spastic colon and IBS? I really appreciate the info. Also looking for a support group in the Orlando,FL area.

Thank you,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Re: ibs vs spastic colon new
      #269819 - 06/16/06 10:54 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

As far as I am aware (and pls others feel free to correct me on this) but i'm pretty sure the two things go hand and hand. People with IBS have a spastic colon which is usually the culprit to most of the stomach problems.. (pretty sure anyways)

Re: ibs vs spastic colon new
      #269823 - 06/16/06 11:08 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

The way I understand it is "spastic colon" is what doctors used to call "IBS". They are the same thing.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#269830 - 06/16/06 11:44 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I am a C. When I get an attack there is a familiar twisting in my gut. Being a C when you have to 'go' it is not fast, it's a long slow process. My intestines knot and squeeze and take over my whole body. I get hot and sweat and sometimes pass out. This goes on till I am empty. I am left drained of all energy and have to sleep for a while to recover.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#269833 - 06/16/06 12:07 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

To me, an attack is when I start to feel that 'oh no, pain is coming sign' then, the pain comes, as does the nausea and the instant need to find a bathroom and fast! When Im having an attack, the pain starts in my middle belly, then around to the sides, and usually radiates to my legs. Pain....

#269838 - 06/16/06 12:34 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Hello Lyndeigh,
Thank you for the info. Are you IBS-C or D? I'm IBS-C and I'm still trying to figure out about an attack. I'm confused I go to the bathroom every morning(after I wake up and after breakfast). Some days I feel just fine after a BM in the morning, but some other days and have the pain all day and all night long until the next morning when I have a BM again. Sometimes I get the pain later during the day or night and won't feel better until the morning BM. And some other times I get the pain after my BM in the morning and gets better later in the afternoon or night time, but I only seem to be able to have a BM in the morning. I eat about the same things everyday to keep it safe, but I never know from one day to another about the pain. Any ideas????? I appreciate the help...

Thank you,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

#269846 - 06/16/06 12:54 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

OK, this is more like me. It's a slow thing (although it can get bad quick when my period hits). I used to have periods of time of what I called 'raunchy gut'. Not pain, not heartburn, but I would just get this raunchy yucky squishy feeling in my gut. This is I guess why I think maybe this has just gotten worse and worse. HOwever, I don't feel AS bad as it seems the rest of you do, and yet, it can still seem nearly debilitating at times. Like you are just tired but not sleepy?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 816 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7351

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review