All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Can you tolerate yogurt?
      #268602 - 06/10/06 05:47 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I've been staying away from dairy for about 5 days now (I think it's too early to tell if it helps yet). I use soymilk and soy yogurt instead. I was wondering if anyone here cannot have regular milk, cream, etc. but does fine with yogurt?
I know it says here to eliminate dairy products completely but I love yogurt and I'm sorry but soy yogurt doesn't taste as good. I can live without regular milk but really miss yogurt - is there some hope for me?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can you tolerate yogurt? new
      #268603 - 06/10/06 05:58 AM
jaq

Reged: 05/20/06
Loc: Bournemouth, England

I've never felt that I've had any problems with dairy but then, I've never had an awful lot either. Like you, I've cut it right down whilst I come to terms with this IBS thing, (just have a scrap of goat's butter on toast sometimes) but know I can usually have it in moderation.

--------------------
Never EVER give up!

#268605 - 06/10/06 06:35 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've never had any problems with yoghurt. I did switch to soy yogurt for a while, because Heather says all dairy is a trigger, but I didn't notice any difference. Now I am kind of going back and forth between soy, goat and regular yoghurt, depending on what I find in the store. My herbalist recommended goat to me as easier to digest because it has a fraction of the lactose of cow - like 10% or something.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#268656 - 06/10/06 02:03 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

The only dairy I eat is yogurt, which doesn't seem to give me many problems. I just eat the fat and artifical sweetener free ones, though. Like you, I probably couldn't give up yogurt, either!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#268684 - 06/10/06 04:03 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

I am not a huge fan of Soy either....But..If you try the brand "Silk" soy products, I love them. Yogurt, milk, yogurt smoothy drinks, all of it...And it actually helps my stomach.

#268689 - 06/10/06 04:35 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Katka, I love all dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt, icecream - you name it. About the only dairy I can handle is what's in milk chocolate and margarine/butter. I have tried soy yogurt - it is so expensive! It tastes okay, a bit too sour, but it is palatable. I prefer real yogurt. I found out about 2 years ago that I can't tolerate real yogurt anymore. :'( It seems to be trial and error for me. I can tolerate something and then WHAM! I can't anymore. It's depressing. It's worse because I can't afford the substitutions all the time. I just have to make do with what I can and when I can. Good luck, I totally empathize with you. *hugs*

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: Can you tolerate yogurt? - another yogurt question and more dairy comments new
      #268691 - 06/10/06 04:42 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I agree, Silk makes good soy products overall. About the only soy product I can't handle at all is soy ice cream! I have tried it many times, different flavors, different brands, and I just can't come to grips with it. At least I can still eat sorbet and popsicles.

Have any of you heard of that Dannon Activia yogurt?? I thought about trying it, but it's expensive and I bet you'd need to try it more than a few times before seeing any results. It claims to help normalize the digestive tract after contuous use. Any thoughts? I looked at their website for the product, but didn't really give me anything more than what the TV commercials did. Thank you.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Activia new
      #268695 - 06/10/06 05:09 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

That is one of the things I tried thinking it would help make me better. My mom tried it w/me. She doesn't have IBS. It gave her "d". Not me. It didn't do anything for me. It was easy on my stomach though. I don't feel like it did anything special to me. It says it's supposed to regulate your digestive system. It sure didn't me. Soy yogurt on the other hand does.

Re: Can you tolerate yogurt? - another yogurt question and more dairy comments new
      #268741 - 06/10/06 10:27 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can read more FAQ's on www.activia.ca
They don't suggest people with sensitivities to milk products use this.

Edited by Gracie (06/10/06 10:28 PM)

#268748 - 06/11/06 04:08 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Thanks everyone for your answers !
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't seem to give it up!
renne21 - where do you buy goat yogurt, in your local grocery store? I don't think ours has it (east coast, shop at Giant).
polly2004 - I've tried Silk yesterday, it was OK but I still wasn't big on it. I have yet to try the ice cream - loooove ice cream .
Sommer - I love Activia but I don't think it'd have a different effect on us IBS people than any other yogurt. It comes in small containers so I think maybe less yogurt=less trouble?
Anyway, I think I'll go another week cold turkey with no dairy and then do the "milk challenge" where you drink abour 12oz of milk on empty stomach and if you don't have symptomps for about 4 hours, dairy is OK for you. Either way, I hope even if dairy wasn't OK, regular yogurt would be .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Edited by Katka (06/11/06 04:09 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review