All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
"Breaking the Cycle" Phase
      #267708 - 06/05/06 10:43 AM
AG1983

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Portland, Oregon

I have been struggling with IBS for five years and I am miserable! I would like to start with the "3 day breaking the cycle plan", but I am not sure where to begin. I have just started reading Heather's book Eating for IBS, and I am feeling somewhat optimistic. My biggest struggle is with urgency and diarrhea - two problems that make it impossible to live a normal life. I have recently purchased the peppermint capsules, fiber supplement, and peppermint tea from the website so I have plenty of ammunition to tackle this thing, but unfortunately I do not know where to begin in terms of the "breaking the cycle diet". I printed the 'soluble fiber food list' from the website, should I be using this as a guide for the first three days? I really need more direction as to what I can eat during the first three days! I know Heather only suggests that I eat items that are on the "GO - soluble fiber list", but those aren't meals. More specifically, during the "breaking the cycle period" with the rice, pasta/noodles, and oatmeal, and toast that Heather wrote about, am I supposed to be eating these items plain or can I use butter on my toast and sauce on my noodles for example? Thank you for all of your understanding!

P.S. One more question - I would like to track my symptoms as Heather said she did early on so that I know what to stay away from. Is there a "symptom tracker" worksheet on the website?

--------------------
Adam
(IBS-D)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Breaking the Cycle" Phase new
      #267726 - 06/05/06 12:55 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome to the boards... you have come to the right place. Heather and everyone here are wonderful and will do what they can to help you during this journey....

If you have not read this page yet.... http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/what_to_eat.asp please do so. It's boring (as Heather says) but it is just for a few days... plain is the best.

As for the "symptom tracker" worksheet, no there is not one.

Keep us posted on your progress and please ask any questions that you still have if you can't find it on the website.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#267729 - 06/05/06 01:20 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

While there is no "symptom tracker" I did keep a daily journal of everything I ate and my reactions. that really helped me see what gave me relief and what gave me grief. Try eating frequent, small meals to start with. I too had the urgency/D and it made my life hell. This site has been the best thing in the world for me. Good luck, it does work.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#267952 - 06/06/06 04:10 PM
AG1983

Thank you for your reply - you sound like you know quite a bit about this disorder. Here is the problem, I have never spent anytime worrying about my diet and have no idea where to begin planning meals for the "breaking the cycle phase". I have read some other discussion postings, one in particular where the poster had suggested a specific menu for IBC-C complete with breakfast, lunch, and dinner for three days. I know it is alot to ask, but if anyone out there has something similar for someone in trouble with IBS-D I would really appreciate it. Thanks, AG.

--------------------
Adam
(IBS-D)

#267985 - 06/06/06 05:47 PM
babakagirl22

Loc: Kentucky

Hi AG, I am also 22, and have Ibs-D. Lucky for me I am taking Levsin and doing very well with it, but I just wanted to give you a few ideas for very easy tummy meals. Hope this helps some!!!

1. Oatmeal with banana or mango mixed in.

2. Toast with a little honey and a applesauce

3. Baked potato or mashed potatoes(homemade with no butter) with seasonings and some butter spray (I use parkay)

4. Noodles with a bit of butter spray and seasoning or just pepper and salt. Maybe some onion powder or (weird but I put some sugar!!!)

5. Any fresh white or sourdough bread, made anyway, you could dip this in some chicken or veggie broth...

6. Rice

7. For snacks...pretzels, animal crackers, arrowroot crackers, rice cakes....

I hope this helps some, I know they are not really full meals but things like a potato or oatmeal with fruit sound like enough.

Also, be sure to stay away from msg (a seasoning in many foods, high fatty foods like butter and ice cream, dairy (I can handle some but for breaking the cycle, no way!!!) aAnd there is several other things to look out for, read everything on this site, and continue to ask questions!!!! Welcome!!!
Marci

--------------------
Marci.

For everything there is a season...

#268010 - 06/06/06 07:44 PM
AG1983

Marci, thank's for your fast reply. I am starting the "breaking the cycle phase" probably Thursday or Friday and I am trying to gather as much information before that. I am glad to see that the items you listed are alright for the first three days. Another question if I may -

First, is levin the same as levbid? I was on Levbid for a while (until it stopped working for me).

Second, do you know how to get rid of the old discussions on this thing and only view the unread?

Thanks,

Adam

--------------------
Adam
(IBS-D)

#268027 - 06/06/06 09:51 PM
babakagirl22

Loc: Kentucky

Yes, the medications are the same. I have had several people tell me it doesn't work for them. I feel very lucky that it worked for me right now. The main time I have issues with IBS now is when I am very stressed!!! Um....for old posts, I don't know how to hide them but the unread topics should show up a different color than the ones you have read!!! Keep me updated on how the BTC diet goes for you. I am on all the time, but don't always post. I will be gone from the 17th to the 27th so won't be on then!!! Good luck, and keep posting!!
Marci

--------------------
Marci.

For everything there is a season...

#268050 - 06/07/06 04:46 AM
cs

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi there,

I'm also new to the board and have been suffering from IBS-C (or what we are still trying to diagnose) for almost as long as I can remember. (approx. 14yrs). I've found that it comes and goes in severity, but lately it's almost constant. You made mention to a 3day start for IBS-C and was wondering if you could provide me the link. Good luck to you and your three day start!

thanks,
cs

#268094 - 06/07/06 09:19 AM
AG1983

Welcome to the boards!! I have only been registered for a couple of days and already feel at home - it is an amazing resource. Click on the following link and scroll to below the FAQ's and you will find information on "breaking the cycle". I am planning to start on Friday so I will post my progress. Good luck! Here is that link: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#break_cycle
Also, you should really invest some time to familiarize yourself with Heather's entire website, it is full of so much information that well really bring you an awareness. I have found it most useful when I am in the grocery store, it has just made me stop and think about what I am going to eat and that I think is the first step to getting IBS under control.

--------------------
Adam
(IBS-D)

#268116 - 06/07/06 11:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you want to do the Break The Cycle Diet strictly, you need to eat only the Soluble Fiber foods on the list. This would eliminate broths, seasonings, fats, cookies, crackers, etc. I know it sounds boring - and it is - but it's just for a few days. Try eating all day long: applesauce, a slice of bread, a banana, pasta, rice, just nibbling all day long. This will keep you from getting too hungry and I think keeping food in your system constantly will help calm things down, too.

When I first found this Website, I never did the BTC Diet. I just stopped eating triggers and started eating more SF. It worked like a charm. (Because I'm IBS-D, I could also drastically cut back on my IF; that's won't work for a C.)

I have done the BTC Diet a time or two since then, either because I ate way too many of the wrong things and my tummy rebelled or because I've had trouble recovering from an intestinal virus. I have to admit, I cheated a little and added pretzels and - when I couldn't stand the blandness anymore - some garlic salt to my pasta. The stricter - and more boring - you can be, though, the better it is on your tummy.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4174

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review