All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Corn Sugar
      #267644 - 06/05/06 07:06 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I've recently found out that I'm allergic to Corn Sugar which I believe is in most foods. Does anyone know where I can get some good information on foods that contain Corn Sugar or more information on Corn Sugar in general? Thanks for any help!

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Corn Sugar new
      #267728 - 06/05/06 01:04 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

What is dextrose?

Dextrose is the commercial name used for the crystalline glucose produced from starch. If the crystallized dextrose (glucose) contains no water, it is listed as "dextrose anhydrous" or "anhydrous dextrose" in an ingredient statement. If the crystallized dextrose contains one molecule of water, it will be listed as "dextrose" or "dextrose monohydrate" in an ingredient statement. The majority of the dextrose listed in food ingredient statements began as cornstarch.

Food manufacturers may list dextrose produced from cornstarch as "corn sugar" in an ingredient statement. If the dextrose comes from another source like rice or wheat, the ingredient list would read "rice sugar" or "wheat sugar," respectively.

Dextrose is used in many baking products like cake mixes and frostings, snack foods like cookies, crackers and pretzels, and desserts like custards and sherbets. Dextrose is also used as a filler in the single-serve, table-top packets of the common artificial sweeteners.

web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#267730 - 06/05/06 01:33 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

dextrose (glucose), fructose
Dextrose (also known as glucose or "corn sugar") and fructose ("fruit sugar") are simple sugars that are often made from corn. Dextrose is used in a variety of foods, including cookies, ice cream and sports drinks such as Gatorade. It also shows up in prepared foods that are supposed to come out crispy, such as french fries, fish sticks, and potato puffs. It's common in intravenous solutions, which could be quite dangerous. Fructose is usually seen in the form of high fructose corn syrup, but makes an occasional appearance on its own.

web page

--------------------

#267761 - 06/05/06 04:42 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Thanks Shell Marr. I also know that it's in a lot of different snacks and such like the peanut crackers that I ate and had a pretty severe reaction to.

The worst part is that I believe corn sugar can be hidden under different ingredient names, making it almost impossible sometimes to tell if it's in a certain food or not.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#267804 - 06/05/06 09:48 PM
Shell Marr

What was your pretty severe reaction? I've done some surfin on the net trying to find answers and I'm just wondering how you found out that you have allergies to just corn sugar and not corn in general? What kind of test did you have done? NOW I want to know all about...until today I did not even know that corn "sugar" existed...LOL

--------------------

#267840 - 06/06/06 07:47 AM
babakagirl22

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Lostcode, I have not been tested but I get sick after eating high fructose corn syrup, but not corn syrup. Do you think I could have a allergy. I have thought I could for a while now. What was your reaction? I would like to compare it to mine!! Thanks!!!
Marci

--------------------
Marci.

For everything there is a season...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1487 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 492

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review