All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past
      #26687 - 11/12/03 10:04 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi,
It seems that few good placebo controlled studies have been done to evaluate the efficacy of these drugs in regards to their ability to relieve/decrease the specific symptom of constipation or diarrhea in people w/ IBS.

SO, it occurred to me that this board would be a very good place to collect some experiential info from all of you who have used one or more of this class of drugs, which are called the Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors [SSRIs}. The names of all of the SSRIs on the market currently are:

Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil CR, Celexa, Lexapro, Sarafem, Fluvoxamine and Effexor [this one has a second medication included in it, so it's a unique SSRI].

I think this thread will very useful to others on this board who are currently taking, or considering using, one of these medications. So, plz include in your replies:

1) what type of IBS you have: C, D or C&D

2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past?

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom?

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience w/ this class of meds w/the rest of us, I'm sure others will very much benefit from it. LL

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #26700 - 11/12/03 10:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I currently take Lexapro. In the past I have taken Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I find I feel better with the Lexapro, it controls my mood swings better. I have IBS C. I switched to Lexapro in June because I couldn't get my IBS under control no matter what I did. The first 2 weeks were pretty weird, I was dizzy, shakey and couldn't concentrate. I had the giggles and felt "high" after about 2 weeks these side effects went away completey. I'm still struggling with my IBS so I'm not sure if its made a big difference there but otherwise I do feel better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

SSRI anti-depressant meds new
      #26717 - 11/12/03 11:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi there

I'm on Celexa now, but I've got that for depression as well as IBS. Before I started on that, I was on a low dose of another one, but I can't remember which.

I found that this type of med helped with the cramps and spasming. However, the main bonus for me was that I didn't get so anxious or stressed (even on the low dose), so my IBS improved overall.

Side effects I've had are a dry mouth and eyes (mainly in the few couple of weeks tho) and really vivid dreams - I now talk in my sleep sometimes, but it doesn't bother me!

Re: SSRI anti-depressant meds new
      #26719 - 11/12/03 11:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh, I forgot to say...I'm mainly IBS-d, but sometimes alternating.

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the p new
      #26732 - 11/12/03 11:38 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm taking a new mood stabilizer, Trileptal, for bipolar disorder and one of the benefits is that is has helped my IBS trememdously. I have IBS-C and where I was having bad C, stomach pain, and bloating almost every day, I rarely have a bad day now. I have taken the SSRI's in the past, and I would like to encourage anyone who tries one of these or a mood stabilizer to please give it enough time to work. Many of these take several months or more before you will notice a difference. I think many times people start them and when they don't have immediate results, they give up on them! In my case, the improvement was very gradual (2-3 months.)
Side effects? None, except in the beginnning, it made me very drowsy, but now it doesn't. And I sleep very well at night, which has been great.

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #26735 - 11/12/03 11:41 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I took Zoloft (and then prozac after Zoloft gave me bad headaches) a few yrs back, during a time when I was suffering miscarriages (4 late ones in a row, from 1995 thru 1997). I didnt take them for IBS.

One thing I have found though...daily aerobic exercise helps stem the deep aspect of depression, which I still suffer from. I find after a good workout (one complete with an endorphin rush from intense exercise for the last 15 mins or so), I am in a cloud of euphoria! Lasts a few hrs too.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

TXS!! I'm so pleased that all of you have already responded, hope lots of other do so too!-nt new
      #26738 - 11/12/03 11:56 AM
lithelady

--------------------

#26825 - 11/12/03 04:23 PM
Stressed Mom

Reged: 10/21/03

I found an excellent book at the library a few yrs. ago titled Healing the Mind the Natural Way by Pat Lazarus! I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone for whom a Dr. wants to prescribe drugs for bipolar, depression or any other related problem. There is a lot of seratonin in the stomach & perhaps this is why there is a connection. Has every one heard about orthomolecular psychiatry? They basically use mega doses of certain vitamins to help these various problems. It's FASCINATING & REALLY WORKS! By the way, another great book is a new one called Against the Grain for all gluten allergy /Celiac sufferers! I wish evryone the best of success in this difficult struggle!

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the p new
      #26860 - 11/13/03 03:40 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I was on Paxil and I found it to be helpful - I think. I have OCD so the meds were for that but I think since my anxiety was less, my IBS improved.
I'm just starting Effexor so the jury is still out on that one - I'll let you know.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

"Bump" for the weekend audience! Hope more replies come in and txs again for the ones so far-nt new
      #27152 - 11/14/03 12:03 PM
lithelady

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51473

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review