All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #66176 - 04/30/04 05:25 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Sure-for whatever help it may be. I have been on Zoloft for 5 years. Before that I was on Prozac. I am diarrhea predominant, but lately have been alternating. I have continued to experience my IBS symptoms during this time, so those two meds have not been of any help regarding my stomach.

Amy

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #66183 - 04/30/04 05:35 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

My understanding was that these meds were painkillers, that they raised the pain gate in your gut that stopped every signal being sent through from being interpreted as a pain signal. As far as I know they weren't meant to do anything about actual D or C symptoms. At least this is how my doctor explained them to me.

#66193 - 04/30/04 06:08 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi,

I'm IBS-D. Never took any medication before but my new doc put me on Effexor about 1 1/2 months ago and I am totally amazed at the difference.

I still pretty much eat only safe things with a little cheating here and there but I used to get really bad bouts of D every day. I gave up coffee and take my meds and I feel so much better, none of the gut wrenching pain and running for the bathroom. I'm not saying that I won't get sick if I really cheat badly but before this I wasn't able to eat hardly anything without getting sick.

So for me I have to say I'm glad I tried it and I'm happy I feel better.

Barbara

#66810 - 05/02/04 01:05 PM
Chelsea

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: British Columbia

1. I have IBS-A
2. I'm currently taking a low dose of Celexa (20mg)
3. I started taking it about a year after my IBS started and noticed no effect whatsoever. Of course, I wasn't given the celexa for my IBS symptoms so it's not any sort of disappointment.
4. The only side affect I've noticed is a loss of sex drive.

#66853 - 05/02/04 03:25 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

(Silly me, I didn't realize this was an old post! Fibrofog strikes again!!)

Good idea. See my answers below.

Quote:

1) what type of IBS you have: C, D or C&D

I'm IBS-D.

2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past?

Currently take Effexor. Took Zoloft in the past.

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom?

Both were slightly constipating which for me was a nice fringe benefit. (They were prescribed for depression not IBS.) However, eventually my IBS got bad enough that the slight side effect didn't even faze it!

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?

Zoloft started giving me headaches which is why I switched to Effexor. Both cause some dry mouth but not too bad, both caused a little trouble starting to urinate when I first started taking them, but that wore off within a week or so. Both are slightly sedating, so I had to take them later in the day so they helped me sleep at night rather than at my desk in the office (!). And the Effexor raised my body temperature (really!) so I no longer feel cold all the time. It also accelerated my heart rate slightly (I was told to warn my personal trainer at the gym!) and raised my blood pressure slightly, which means if I don't take it right on time, my blood pressure drops and I have to quick eat something salty and drink some water to recover. I think that's all the wierd little things. Oh yeah and really vivid dreams, which is kind of fun, like little mini movies!! Having said that it would take a submachine gun wielding thug to get it away from me because it has helped me SO MUCH!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Edited by LauraSue (05/02/04 04:22 PM)

#66855 - 05/02/04 03:30 PM
LauraSue

Welcome StrmGirl! Gurgling is a perfect description -- we all know exactly what you mean!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66861 - 05/02/04 04:47 PM
Ericasmom

Both were slightly constipating which for me was a nice fringe benefit. (They were prescribed for depression not IBS.) However, eventually my IBS got bad enough that the slight side effect didn't even faze it!

You know, it was the same thing for me with the Zoloft, Laura. I have decided after seeing so much feedback that these type of anti-depressants really are not constipating.

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?

Zoloft started giving me headaches which is why I switched to Effexor. Both cause some dry mouth but not too bad, both caused a little trouble starting to urinate when I first started taking them, but that wore off within a week or so. Both are slightly sedating, so I had to take them later in the day so they helped me sleep at night rather than at my desk in the office (!).

That's wierd! I just started on Valium, and it's causing the exact same things for me. LOVE that dry mouth!(GRR!). If it keeps making me sleepy during the day, I may have to consider taking my dose all at night, too. Oh well!

Amy

--------------------

#66865 - 05/02/04 04:55 PM
LauraSue

Amy,
Biotene products are great for the dry mouth. Toothpaste and mouthwash and gum if it doesn't make you gassy.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66869 - 05/02/04 05:14 PM
Ericasmom

Thanks-my dentist turned me on to that Biotene gum-it's great! I can do hard candy also, as long as I don't overdo it.

Amy

--------------------

#66880 - 05/02/04 06:34 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I never answered this so, here it is!
1) what type of IBS you have: A

2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past? Lexapro

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom? I don't know my IBS started months after I went on Lexapro. So I can't say I've experienced any correlation.

Dry mouth, increased sweating, mild insomina (at first). That's really it. It's worked well with no major side effects.

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review