All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Can someone comment... new
      #27619 - 11/18/03 07:51 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

on why or how antidepressants can help alleviate the symptoms of IBS? Is it simply because of your better mood = less stress? Or does it actually reduce the amount of spasms and cramps? I am thinking of starting one (maybe celexa) but am not sure which is best for me. I definetly need something to bring my spirits up, they have been down for years.

Thanks, any info is appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can someone comment... new
      #27630 - 11/18/03 08:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's to do with the brain-gut connection - read ShawnEric's latest post on this board. But if you do have a problem getting down anyway, then these meds can really help you to cope with your IBS.

Linz

Re: Can someone comment... new
      #27639 - 11/18/03 09:07 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

The Use of Antidepressants in the Treatment of irritable Bowel Syndrome and Other Functional GI Disorders

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/antidepressentsandibs.htm

But,

Treating IBS by Hypnosis?

Articles > Treating IBS by Hypnosis?
Treating IBS by Hypnosis?

Summarized by Robert W. Griffith, MD
November 6, 2003

Introduction

Surprisingly, the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) takes up to 50% of the gastroenterologist's workload, according to British researchers. Symptoms - abdominal pain, bloating, and constipation or diarrhea - can be sufficiently severe to impair the patient's quality of life. Although specific medications have recently become available to address the condition (see related links below), treatment remains unsatisfactory for many patients.

Hypnotherapy has been shown in earlier studies to be an effective form of therapy, at least in the short term. Now a study has been reported in the British journal Gut that describes the long-term benefits of this form of treatment.

What was done

A gut-directed hypnotherapy unit was established in the UK some years ago. Recently, questionnaires were mailed to 273 patients with IBS who had completed a course of gut-directed hypnotherapy at least one year previously. A full course comprised up to 12 one-hour weekly sessions. The patients had already completed such questionnaires immediately before and after their course of hypnotherapy. The aim of the study was to see if the apparent benefits of hypnotherapy persisted for at least a year.

The questionnaire covered IBS symptoms, an anxiety and depression scale, a subjective assessment of symptoms (how the patients themselves felt about their condition), doctor's visits, and medications used.

What was found

Of the 273 questionnaires sent out, 204 were returned - a 73% return rate. The time between treatment and the return of questionnaires ranged evenly between 1 and 6 years.

Immediately after completing the course of hypnotherapy, 52% of the patients reported they were "very much better", 19% were "moderately better", and 15% as "slightly better", while 13% reported "no change".

The questionnaires collected at varying interval greater than one year (and up to 6 years) after finishing hypnotherapy showed that 81% of the original responders had maintained their improvement; 29% had "improved much more", 24% "improved moderately more", 11% "improved slightly more", and 17% were "about the same as at the end of hypnotherapy". The remaining 19% had experienced deterioration, mostly described as "slight worsening".

The specific IBS symptoms (pain severity, pain frequency, bloating, bowel habit dissatisfaction, life interference) showed a similar response. All of them were significantly improved immediately after hypnotherapy, and showed little change at the follow up survey, whether this was after 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years.

Quality of life, anxiety, and depression scores were significantly improved immediately after hypnotherapy, but were more likely to show some deterioration by the time of final follow up; however, they were still significantly better than those before the hypnosis therapy. Visits to the doctor and the amount of medication taken showed similar changes after treatment.

Comment

This is the first report of the long-term benefits of gut hypnotherapy for IBS. The results are quite favorable - 71% of patients were improved by hypnotherapy, and 81% of these responders maintained the benefit, or reported further improvement, for periods up to 6 years.

As many as 85% of the people who returned questionnaires had continued to practice hypnotherapeutic techniques on their own, after the end of the hypnotherapy course. It wasn't possible to say whether this was associated with a better result over the follow-up period.

Gut-directed hypnotherapy, first developed in the UK in 1984, is a technique that clearly requires specific experience, and is unlikely to be successful in untrained hands. IBS patients considering such an approach should consult with their physicians and find a center that is able to provide this particular service.

Source

Long term benefits of hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome. WM. Gonsalkorale, V. Miller, A. Afzal, PJ. Whorwell, Gut, 2003, vol. 52, pp. 1623--1629

http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gm=2!gid2=2716;jsessionid=10ZgtFR0rVtNctW4ofDn2ETrDQhRO6ZkFTVVLlcib1nN1T0imf7r!1860583584!174479238!7537!7038

HT shows the highest success rate for IBS global symptoms and can continue to work after the treatment.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Thanks for the feedback! - nt- new
      #27706 - 11/18/03 11:45 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Re: the pill has lactose .... new
      #38342 - 01/17/04 01:02 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

Maybe the new patch would work well for you...and now I am wondering if my pills are making me worse as well.....Except that I dont notice any improvement during my "off" week, actaully I a sometiime worse during my period....

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #38344 - 01/17/04 01:23 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

1) what type of IBS you have: C, D or C&D
IBS C&D
2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past?
I'm taking Lexapro.

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom?
I've noticed a drastic improvement in the frequency of trouble, BUT... this could be attributed to Heather's diet, since I started at the same time as the Lexapro.

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?
I had an increase in sleepiness, initially, which was almost enough to make me switch but I hung in there and about 4 weeks into the meds, it got better.

--------------------

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #38368 - 01/17/04 02:16 PM
mksb1309

Reged: 01/07/04

I am currently taking Paxil. I have IBS-C. In terms of improvement, it has taken a lot of the anxiety away that I have. I think Paxil really works to change the way you are thinking and thus letting you deal with IBS and its attacks. Without worrying all the time, I'm not as stressed and anxious about having another attack. The side effects and the cons - it is a powerful drug that takes time to get off of once you start; my sexual drive has definately decreased, which has been a bad side effect for me; some people say that there may be a sleeplessness, but I actually sleep better since I am not worrying. Overall, it has been a wonderful drug for me. When I get down about IBS, it doesn't allow my mood to drop as much as it used it. It is easier for me to deal with an attack when it happens. I hope that this answers your questions.

#38382 - 01/17/04 03:04 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I am taking 1/2 dose of zoloft, 25 mg. I have IBS-D. I have taken it for 3 years, with no side effects. My gynecologist told me to stay on it, and go off the birth control pills, as I am pre menopausal and zoloft gives a sense of well being and helps keep me on an even keel. I can't say that it has helped my IBS at all.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#38400 - 01/17/04 03:45 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

So you know the generic names for these drugs? Thanks.

Re: the pill has lactose .... new
      #66163 - 04/29/04 11:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I know this is an old post, but I stumbled upon it and found it intriguing. Does anyone know approximately how much lactose is in the BC pill? Could it really be enough to upset the tummy? (It's such a small pill).

This is very interesting for me, because I take continuous cycle birth control which means I don't take seven days off, and I'll do this for anywhere from 4-6 months at a time, and maybe that's what's causing my stomach to keep hurting.

Any info would be great...I assume the patch doesn't have lactose?

Kelly

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 595 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review