All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #27266 - 11/15/03 10:06 PM
StrmGirl97

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: South Dakota

Hi - I'm new to the message boards, but this spiked my interest a little bit. I was finally diagnosed just last month with IBS-D after going through all the tests that needed to be done. I've had symptoms for around 8 or so years - and my medications have fluctuated from the beginning.

Initially I was thought to have a parasitic infection, so I took something to fight Giardia (I think). It helped for oh, about a month... at most. After that (up until a year or so ago) it was thought to be a mental disease - something I could control and brought on myself. Since then, I've been on Paxil, which made my symptoms completely intolerable and leaving my home was not an option. Next was Lexapro. That helped for a spell. The nice thing about Lexapro was that it calmed the frequency of attacks, and made the pain associated with them virtually disappear. However, it didn't work for longer than about 6 months (so much for the thought of it being stress related). And I still had the night pains, tho they were less frequent.

So currently, as a result of the tests... I'm taking Amitripdylene (sp?). I've not had attacks since I started it. Admittedly, I've only been on them for about 3 weeks, so I still have a long road ahead of me, but I'm really hoping. I'm also hoping the scatterbrained feeling subsides, as well as the head rushes. But most importantly... the closest thing to IBS symptoms I've had since starting is 'gurgling' (I'm not sure how else to describe it). A good start I think for the new drug.

There's a good first rambled post from the new girl.

--Katy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #27267 - 11/15/03 10:16 PM
Shanna

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

1) what type of IBS you have: C, D or C&D

constipation

2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past?

Paxil.

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom?

Improvement in constipation... significant.

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?

Stopped taking them because of weird mood changes, insatiable appetite, large amount of weight gain, and complete loss of sex drive. Took me a couple of years to get back to normal eating habits and lose the weight I gained. These pills are not worth it.

A side not -- birth control is horrible for my IBS. I am not sure exactly why.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#27291 - 11/16/03 11:11 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Hi! I was on effexor for five years-but it stopped working for my anxiety and depression. I have been on celexa for two years, and it works well! i think that's why i'm ableto control my IBS D&C without too much trouble! maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Re: the pill has lactose .... new
      #27427 - 11/17/03 10:09 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

About the birth control - the pill contains lactose which is a HUGE ibs trigger. Even though it's in small amounts, it still can irritate you. That may be why. My Doc looked high and low for lactose free ones for me and there is no such thing.
Sigh.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#27470 - 11/17/03 11:08 AM
Shanna

wow, thanks. that explains alot! i am serverely lactose intolerant.

--------------------

#27521 - 11/17/03 02:23 PM
Shanna

i have been told by a dotor that this is true -- wow! why do we need lactose in our BC pills??????

--------------------

#27522 - 11/17/03 02:25 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I never knew about that either. How bizarre! Maybe I'll start popping a Lactaid pill before I take my BC pill now. *rolling eyes*

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#27540 - 11/17/03 04:27 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Is that all versions of the pill or specific ones?

#27547 - 11/17/03 05:24 PM
kickyfast2

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

I took Paxil for about 5 years and had a nasty withdrawl from it when my doc switched me to Zoloft. I still have tremors and sensitivity to cold..and have been having headaches everynight..so bad that I have to sleep them off.

As far as birth control goes..my OBGYN put me on the Ortho-Evra patch..due to a sensitive stomach she suggested not adding further complications with a pill. And its great! No side effects besides the headaches..which I'm not sure which drug those are from or if its just hereditary!

#27586 - 11/17/03 08:01 PM
Shanna

i did some major research into the patch. when i get back on b/c, i am definitely going to use it. it is so much better than pills -- especially in terms of side effects. i am not to using b/c now - i don't like taking hormones.
(

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1086 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review