All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past
      #26687 - 11/12/03 10:04 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi,
It seems that few good placebo controlled studies have been done to evaluate the efficacy of these drugs in regards to their ability to relieve/decrease the specific symptom of constipation or diarrhea in people w/ IBS.

SO, it occurred to me that this board would be a very good place to collect some experiential info from all of you who have used one or more of this class of drugs, which are called the Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors [SSRIs}. The names of all of the SSRIs on the market currently are:

Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil CR, Celexa, Lexapro, Sarafem, Fluvoxamine and Effexor [this one has a second medication included in it, so it's a unique SSRI].

I think this thread will very useful to others on this board who are currently taking, or considering using, one of these medications. So, plz include in your replies:

1) what type of IBS you have: C, D or C&D

2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past?

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom?

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience w/ this class of meds w/the rest of us, I'm sure others will very much benefit from it. LL

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #26700 - 11/12/03 10:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I currently take Lexapro. In the past I have taken Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I find I feel better with the Lexapro, it controls my mood swings better. I have IBS C. I switched to Lexapro in June because I couldn't get my IBS under control no matter what I did. The first 2 weeks were pretty weird, I was dizzy, shakey and couldn't concentrate. I had the giggles and felt "high" after about 2 weeks these side effects went away completey. I'm still struggling with my IBS so I'm not sure if its made a big difference there but otherwise I do feel better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

SSRI anti-depressant meds new
      #26717 - 11/12/03 11:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi there

I'm on Celexa now, but I've got that for depression as well as IBS. Before I started on that, I was on a low dose of another one, but I can't remember which.

I found that this type of med helped with the cramps and spasming. However, the main bonus for me was that I didn't get so anxious or stressed (even on the low dose), so my IBS improved overall.

Side effects I've had are a dry mouth and eyes (mainly in the few couple of weeks tho) and really vivid dreams - I now talk in my sleep sometimes, but it doesn't bother me!

Re: SSRI anti-depressant meds new
      #26719 - 11/12/03 11:13 AM
Linz

Oh, I forgot to say...I'm mainly IBS-d, but sometimes alternating.

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the p new
      #26732 - 11/12/03 11:38 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm taking a new mood stabilizer, Trileptal, for bipolar disorder and one of the benefits is that is has helped my IBS trememdously. I have IBS-C and where I was having bad C, stomach pain, and bloating almost every day, I rarely have a bad day now. I have taken the SSRI's in the past, and I would like to encourage anyone who tries one of these or a mood stabilizer to please give it enough time to work. Many of these take several months or more before you will notice a difference. I think many times people start them and when they don't have immediate results, they give up on them! In my case, the improvement was very gradual (2-3 months.)
Side effects? None, except in the beginnning, it made me very drowsy, but now it doesn't. And I sleep very well at night, which has been great.

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the past new
      #26735 - 11/12/03 11:41 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I took Zoloft (and then prozac after Zoloft gave me bad headaches) a few yrs back, during a time when I was suffering miscarriages (4 late ones in a row, from 1995 thru 1997). I didnt take them for IBS.

One thing I have found though...daily aerobic exercise helps stem the deep aspect of depression, which I still suffer from. I find after a good workout (one complete with an endorphin rush from intense exercise for the last 15 mins or so), I am in a cloud of euphoria! Lasts a few hrs too.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

TXS!! I'm so pleased that all of you have already responded, hope lots of other do so too!-nt new
      #26738 - 11/12/03 11:56 AM
lithelady

--------------------

#26825 - 11/12/03 04:23 PM
Stressed Mom

Reged: 10/21/03

I found an excellent book at the library a few yrs. ago titled Healing the Mind the Natural Way by Pat Lazarus! I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone for whom a Dr. wants to prescribe drugs for bipolar, depression or any other related problem. There is a lot of seratonin in the stomach & perhaps this is why there is a connection. Has every one heard about orthomolecular psychiatry? They basically use mega doses of certain vitamins to help these various problems. It's FASCINATING & REALLY WORKS! By the way, another great book is a new one called Against the Grain for all gluten allergy /Celiac sufferers! I wish evryone the best of success in this difficult struggle!

Re: For everyone who is using an SSRI anti-depressant med currently or has used one of them in the p new
      #26860 - 11/13/03 03:40 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I was on Paxil and I found it to be helpful - I think. I have OCD so the meds were for that but I think since my anxiety was less, my IBS improved.
I'm just starting Effexor so the jury is still out on that one - I'll let you know.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

"Bump" for the weekend audience! Hope more replies come in and txs again for the ones so far-nt new
      #27152 - 11/14/03 12:03 PM
lithelady

--------------------

#27266 - 11/15/03 10:06 PM
StrmGirl97

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: South Dakota

Hi - I'm new to the message boards, but this spiked my interest a little bit. I was finally diagnosed just last month with IBS-D after going through all the tests that needed to be done. I've had symptoms for around 8 or so years - and my medications have fluctuated from the beginning.

Initially I was thought to have a parasitic infection, so I took something to fight Giardia (I think). It helped for oh, about a month... at most. After that (up until a year or so ago) it was thought to be a mental disease - something I could control and brought on myself. Since then, I've been on Paxil, which made my symptoms completely intolerable and leaving my home was not an option. Next was Lexapro. That helped for a spell. The nice thing about Lexapro was that it calmed the frequency of attacks, and made the pain associated with them virtually disappear. However, it didn't work for longer than about 6 months (so much for the thought of it being stress related). And I still had the night pains, tho they were less frequent.

So currently, as a result of the tests... I'm taking Amitripdylene (sp?). I've not had attacks since I started it. Admittedly, I've only been on them for about 3 weeks, so I still have a long road ahead of me, but I'm really hoping. I'm also hoping the scatterbrained feeling subsides, as well as the head rushes. But most importantly... the closest thing to IBS symptoms I've had since starting is 'gurgling' (I'm not sure how else to describe it). A good start I think for the new drug.

There's a good first rambled post from the new girl.

--Katy

#27267 - 11/15/03 10:16 PM
Shanna

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

constipation

Paxil.

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom?

Improvement in constipation... significant.

4) what were the major side-effect(s), if any that you experience and were they significant enough to require you to stop taking the med or to swtich to another med?

Stopped taking them because of weird mood changes, insatiable appetite, large amount of weight gain, and complete loss of sex drive. Took me a couple of years to get back to normal eating habits and lose the weight I gained. These pills are not worth it.

A side not -- birth control is horrible for my IBS. I am not sure exactly why.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#27291 - 11/16/03 11:11 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Hi! I was on effexor for five years-but it stopped working for my anxiety and depression. I have been on celexa for two years, and it works well! i think that's why i'm ableto control my IBS D&C without too much trouble! maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Re: the pill has lactose .... new
      #27427 - 11/17/03 10:09 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

About the birth control - the pill contains lactose which is a HUGE ibs trigger. Even though it's in small amounts, it still can irritate you. That may be why. My Doc looked high and low for lactose free ones for me and there is no such thing.
Sigh.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#27470 - 11/17/03 11:08 AM
Shanna

wow, thanks. that explains alot! i am serverely lactose intolerant.

--------------------

#27521 - 11/17/03 02:23 PM
Shanna

i have been told by a dotor that this is true -- wow! why do we need lactose in our BC pills??????

--------------------

#27522 - 11/17/03 02:25 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I never knew about that either. How bizarre! Maybe I'll start popping a Lactaid pill before I take my BC pill now. *rolling eyes*

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#27540 - 11/17/03 04:27 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Is that all versions of the pill or specific ones?

#27547 - 11/17/03 05:24 PM
kickyfast2

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

I took Paxil for about 5 years and had a nasty withdrawl from it when my doc switched me to Zoloft. I still have tremors and sensitivity to cold..and have been having headaches everynight..so bad that I have to sleep them off.

As far as birth control goes..my OBGYN put me on the Ortho-Evra patch..due to a sensitive stomach she suggested not adding further complications with a pill. And its great! No side effects besides the headaches..which I'm not sure which drug those are from or if its just hereditary!

#27586 - 11/17/03 08:01 PM
Shanna

i did some major research into the patch. when i get back on b/c, i am definitely going to use it. it is so much better than pills -- especially in terms of side effects. i am not to using b/c now - i don't like taking hormones.
(

--------------------

Can someone comment... new
      #27619 - 11/18/03 07:51 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03

on why or how antidepressants can help alleviate the symptoms of IBS? Is it simply because of your better mood = less stress? Or does it actually reduce the amount of spasms and cramps? I am thinking of starting one (maybe celexa) but am not sure which is best for me. I definetly need something to bring my spirits up, they have been down for years.

Thanks, any info is appreciated!

Re: Can someone comment... new
      #27630 - 11/18/03 08:48 AM
Linz

It's to do with the brain-gut connection - read ShawnEric's latest post on this board. But if you do have a problem getting down anyway, then these meds can really help you to cope with your IBS.

Linz

Re: Can someone comment... new
      #27639 - 11/18/03 09:07 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

The Use of Antidepressants in the Treatment of irritable Bowel Syndrome and Other Functional GI Disorders

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/antidepressentsandibs.htm

But,

Treating IBS by Hypnosis?

Articles > Treating IBS by Hypnosis?
Treating IBS by Hypnosis?

Summarized by Robert W. Griffith, MD
November 6, 2003

Introduction

Surprisingly, the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) takes up to 50% of the gastroenterologist's workload, according to British researchers. Symptoms - abdominal pain, bloating, and constipation or diarrhea - can be sufficiently severe to impair the patient's quality of life. Although specific medications have recently become available to address the condition (see related links below), treatment remains unsatisfactory for many patients.

Hypnotherapy has been shown in earlier studies to be an effective form of therapy, at least in the short term. Now a study has been reported in the British journal Gut that describes the long-term benefits of this form of treatment.

What was done

A gut-directed hypnotherapy unit was established in the UK some years ago. Recently, questionnaires were mailed to 273 patients with IBS who had completed a course of gut-directed hypnotherapy at least one year previously. A full course comprised up to 12 one-hour weekly sessions. The patients had already completed such questionnaires immediately before and after their course of hypnotherapy. The aim of the study was to see if the apparent benefits of hypnotherapy persisted for at least a year.

The questionnaire covered IBS symptoms, an anxiety and depression scale, a subjective assessment of symptoms (how the patients themselves felt about their condition), doctor's visits, and medications used.

What was found

Of the 273 questionnaires sent out, 204 were returned - a 73% return rate. The time between treatment and the return of questionnaires ranged evenly between 1 and 6 years.

Immediately after completing the course of hypnotherapy, 52% of the patients reported they were "very much better", 19% were "moderately better", and 15% as "slightly better", while 13% reported "no change".

The questionnaires collected at varying interval greater than one year (and up to 6 years) after finishing hypnotherapy showed that 81% of the original responders had maintained their improvement; 29% had "improved much more", 24% "improved moderately more", 11% "improved slightly more", and 17% were "about the same as at the end of hypnotherapy". The remaining 19% had experienced deterioration, mostly described as "slight worsening".

The specific IBS symptoms (pain severity, pain frequency, bloating, bowel habit dissatisfaction, life interference) showed a similar response. All of them were significantly improved immediately after hypnotherapy, and showed little change at the follow up survey, whether this was after 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years.

Quality of life, anxiety, and depression scores were significantly improved immediately after hypnotherapy, but were more likely to show some deterioration by the time of final follow up; however, they were still significantly better than those before the hypnosis therapy. Visits to the doctor and the amount of medication taken showed similar changes after treatment.

Comment

This is the first report of the long-term benefits of gut hypnotherapy for IBS. The results are quite favorable - 71% of patients were improved by hypnotherapy, and 81% of these responders maintained the benefit, or reported further improvement, for periods up to 6 years.

As many as 85% of the people who returned questionnaires had continued to practice hypnotherapeutic techniques on their own, after the end of the hypnotherapy course. It wasn't possible to say whether this was associated with a better result over the follow-up period.

Gut-directed hypnotherapy, first developed in the UK in 1984, is a technique that clearly requires specific experience, and is unlikely to be successful in untrained hands. IBS patients considering such an approach should consult with their physicians and find a center that is able to provide this particular service.

Source

Long term benefits of hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome. WM. Gonsalkorale, V. Miller, A. Afzal, PJ. Whorwell, Gut, 2003, vol. 52, pp. 1623--1629

http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gm=2!gid2=2716;jsessionid=10ZgtFR0rVtNctW4ofDn2ETrDQhRO6ZkFTVVLlcib1nN1T0imf7r!1860583584!174479238!7537!7038

HT shows the highest success rate for IBS global symptoms and can continue to work after the treatment.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Thanks for the feedback! - nt- new
      #27706 - 11/18/03 11:45 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03

#38342 - 01/17/04 01:02 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

Maybe the new patch would work well for you...and now I am wondering if my pills are making me worse as well.....Except that I dont notice any improvement during my "off" week, actaully I a sometiime worse during my period....

#38344 - 01/17/04 01:23 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

IBS C&D
I'm taking Lexapro.

I've noticed a drastic improvement in the frequency of trouble, BUT... this could be attributed to Heather's diet, since I started at the same time as the Lexapro.

I had an increase in sleepiness, initially, which was almost enough to make me switch but I hung in there and about 4 weeks into the meds, it got better.

--------------------

#38368 - 01/17/04 02:16 PM
mksb1309

Reged: 01/07/04

I am currently taking Paxil. I have IBS-C. In terms of improvement, it has taken a lot of the anxiety away that I have. I think Paxil really works to change the way you are thinking and thus letting you deal with IBS and its attacks. Without worrying all the time, I'm not as stressed and anxious about having another attack. The side effects and the cons - it is a powerful drug that takes time to get off of once you start; my sexual drive has definately decreased, which has been a bad side effect for me; some people say that there may be a sleeplessness, but I actually sleep better since I am not worrying. Overall, it has been a wonderful drug for me. When I get down about IBS, it doesn't allow my mood to drop as much as it used it. It is easier for me to deal with an attack when it happens. I hope that this answers your questions.

#38382 - 01/17/04 03:04 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I am taking 1/2 dose of zoloft, 25 mg. I have IBS-D. I have taken it for 3 years, with no side effects. My gynecologist told me to stay on it, and go off the birth control pills, as I am pre menopausal and zoloft gives a sense of well being and helps keep me on an even keel. I can't say that it has helped my IBS at all.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#38400 - 01/17/04 03:45 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

So you know the generic names for these drugs? Thanks.

#66163 - 04/29/04 11:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I know this is an old post, but I stumbled upon it and found it intriguing. Does anyone know approximately how much lactose is in the BC pill? Could it really be enough to upset the tummy? (It's such a small pill).

This is very interesting for me, because I take continuous cycle birth control which means I don't take seven days off, and I'll do this for anywhere from 4-6 months at a time, and maybe that's what's causing my stomach to keep hurting.

Any info would be great...I assume the patch doesn't have lactose?

Kelly

#66176 - 04/30/04 05:25 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Sure-for whatever help it may be. I have been on Zoloft for 5 years. Before that I was on Prozac. I am diarrhea predominant, but lately have been alternating. I have continued to experience my IBS symptoms during this time, so those two meds have not been of any help regarding my stomach.

Amy

--------------------

#66183 - 04/30/04 05:35 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

My understanding was that these meds were painkillers, that they raised the pain gate in your gut that stopped every signal being sent through from being interpreted as a pain signal. As far as I know they weren't meant to do anything about actual D or C symptoms. At least this is how my doctor explained them to me.

#66193 - 04/30/04 06:08 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi,

I'm IBS-D. Never took any medication before but my new doc put me on Effexor about 1 1/2 months ago and I am totally amazed at the difference.

I still pretty much eat only safe things with a little cheating here and there but I used to get really bad bouts of D every day. I gave up coffee and take my meds and I feel so much better, none of the gut wrenching pain and running for the bathroom. I'm not saying that I won't get sick if I really cheat badly but before this I wasn't able to eat hardly anything without getting sick.

So for me I have to say I'm glad I tried it and I'm happy I feel better.

Barbara

#66810 - 05/02/04 01:05 PM
Chelsea

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: British Columbia

1. I have IBS-A
2. I'm currently taking a low dose of Celexa (20mg)
3. I started taking it about a year after my IBS started and noticed no effect whatsoever. Of course, I wasn't given the celexa for my IBS symptoms so it's not any sort of disappointment.
4. The only side affect I've noticed is a loss of sex drive.

#66853 - 05/02/04 03:25 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

(Silly me, I didn't realize this was an old post! Fibrofog strikes again!!)

Good idea. See my answers below.

Quote:

I'm IBS-D.

Currently take Effexor. Took Zoloft in the past.

Both were slightly constipating which for me was a nice fringe benefit. (They were prescribed for depression not IBS.) However, eventually my IBS got bad enough that the slight side effect didn't even faze it!

Zoloft started giving me headaches which is why I switched to Effexor. Both cause some dry mouth but not too bad, both caused a little trouble starting to urinate when I first started taking them, but that wore off within a week or so. Both are slightly sedating, so I had to take them later in the day so they helped me sleep at night rather than at my desk in the office (!). And the Effexor raised my body temperature (really!) so I no longer feel cold all the time. It also accelerated my heart rate slightly (I was told to warn my personal trainer at the gym!) and raised my blood pressure slightly, which means if I don't take it right on time, my blood pressure drops and I have to quick eat something salty and drink some water to recover. I think that's all the wierd little things. Oh yeah and really vivid dreams, which is kind of fun, like little mini movies!! Having said that it would take a submachine gun wielding thug to get it away from me because it has helped me SO MUCH!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Edited by LauraSue (05/02/04 04:22 PM)

#66855 - 05/02/04 03:30 PM
LauraSue

Welcome StrmGirl! Gurgling is a perfect description -- we all know exactly what you mean!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66861 - 05/02/04 04:47 PM
Ericasmom

Both were slightly constipating which for me was a nice fringe benefit. (They were prescribed for depression not IBS.) However, eventually my IBS got bad enough that the slight side effect didn't even faze it!

You know, it was the same thing for me with the Zoloft, Laura. I have decided after seeing so much feedback that these type of anti-depressants really are not constipating.

Zoloft started giving me headaches which is why I switched to Effexor. Both cause some dry mouth but not too bad, both caused a little trouble starting to urinate when I first started taking them, but that wore off within a week or so. Both are slightly sedating, so I had to take them later in the day so they helped me sleep at night rather than at my desk in the office (!).

That's wierd! I just started on Valium, and it's causing the exact same things for me. LOVE that dry mouth!(GRR!). If it keeps making me sleepy during the day, I may have to consider taking my dose all at night, too. Oh well!

Amy

--------------------

#66865 - 05/02/04 04:55 PM
LauraSue

Amy,
Biotene products are great for the dry mouth. Toothpaste and mouthwash and gum if it doesn't make you gassy.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66869 - 05/02/04 05:14 PM
Ericasmom

Thanks-my dentist turned me on to that Biotene gum-it's great! I can do hard candy also, as long as I don't overdo it.

Amy

--------------------

#66880 - 05/02/04 06:34 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I never answered this so, here it is!
1) what type of IBS you have: A

2) which medication(s) you are currently taking or have taken in the past? Lexapro

3) what degree of improvement you experienced SPECIFICALlY in regards to your constipation or diarrhea symptom? I don't know my IBS started months after I went on Lexapro. So I can't say I've experienced any correlation.

Dry mouth, increased sweating, mild insomina (at first). That's really it. It's worked well with no major side effects.

--------------------
--Julie

#66887 - 05/02/04 07:16 PM
barberm10

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Florida

I have IBS-D
My IBS (unknown to my at the time what I had) had gotten so out of control that it was running my life. I became depressed and asked my Dr. for something...
He put me on Zoloft. I have been on the Zoloft for 2 months now. I didn't want to take it at first but...it in addition to my daily fiber and diet change, I am in a better place then where I was 6-7 months ago when this all started.

Funny, just recently I forgot to call my Dr. to get more of the Zoloft and didn't have any for 3 days. 2 of those 3 days, my stomach hurt and 1 of the days I had D...

I personally think it helps me alot!

#66890 - 05/02/04 07:24 PM
barberm10

I feel the same as you do Barb...
I really feel like being on Zoloft has made a big impact on my D...I use to go sometimes 6 times a day. This is the best I have felt in 7 months since my IBS introduced itself in my life.

#66891 - 05/02/04 07:29 PM
barberm10

They are not "pain killers"...
Narcodics are not good for the system...You are right!
Zanex (sp) is a Narcodic...I know this because my Family Dr. gave it to me because I would get so anxious with my IBS attacks and my Gastro Dr. told me not to take it anymore!

Celexa - Maryh - question new
      #284738 - 10/01/06 09:14 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, CAn you tell me what your side effects have been on celexa? Any weight gain, loss of sex drive? Thanks, Debbie IBS-C
I have been prescribed it for anxiety/little depression.

Re: SSRI anti-depressant meds - Liz = Celexa question new
      #284740 - 10/01/06 09:21 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, Can you tell me if you are still on Celexa and how you found it = I have been prescribed it and am concerned about weight gain or loss of sex drive. Thanks. IBS=C

Effexor new
      #284818 - 10/01/06 08:01 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I'm primarily a D.
I've been on Effexor for about a month. I am definely less anxious and certainly a lot happier. I haven't noticed like a severe change in my IBS symptoms but I've been pretty stable for most part. I've been following Heather's diet for 9 months now.. As far as side effects go sometimes I have headaches that I think are from the Effexor but other than that nothing else about them bothers me.

Re: isn't the patch just synthetic hormones too? nt new
      #284821 - 10/01/06 08:11 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

Re: SSRI anti-depressant meds - Liz = Celexa question new
      #284835 - 10/02/06 05:20 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Hi. I have been on celexa and zoloft not the other. I need to gain weight but that didn't make me. My friend was on celexa and it did she thinks. I think it ranges but also you need to weigh the benfits vs the cons. Also be upfront with your concerns with your doc. There are many similar drugs that can be inerchangable. My psych encourages me to always express my concerns.

#284836 - 10/02/06 05:22 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

1) IBS-D

2) currently: Prozac
past: Paxil (weight gain), Zoloft (more D), Wellbutrin (more panic attacks), Celexa (fell asleep), Lexapro (fell asleep), Effexor (increase in blood pressure)

3) no change in my IBS-D with any of the above medications (except for more D on Zoloft)...only Lotronex helped

4) see #2

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Re: Effexor new
      #287185 - 10/19/06 11:49 PM
Traveler

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: CA

HI, I've been on Effexor for a couple of years for fibromyalgia. I have ibs-c. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I think it's helped my mood more than any specific symptom of either of the above. I'm not aware of any side effects due to the Effexor. But, I'm on so many meds, it would be hard to tell.

Re: Effexor new
      #287186 - 10/20/06 01:10 AM
Eri

Reged: 10/13/06

I have both good and bad experience of effexor.
I was really helped by effexor in the beginning. I was on it for three years . In the start it was a really good thing and it cured my depression ( I was suicidal) but after I while it was a lot of unacceptable side effects that at last made me quit. It was nightmares, bad sleep, I was losing weight and had no good results when I went out running (the med made me in some strange way more slow ?!!) and worst of all was that I started to bleed between periods. All this things stopped when I quitted taking effexor so I am almost sure it had to do with it.

Eri

Are you taking any AD in its place?-nt new
      #287196 - 10/20/06 07:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Lexapro new
      #287211 - 10/20/06 09:28 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I was on Lexapro for about a year. I'm IBS-D but I also have microscopic colitis. Originally the doctor gave me Paxil but I took just one pill, then was in the bathroom for hours (even at night) with d and pain. Forget that...swictched me to Lexapro (only 5 mg) for axiety/depression and hoping that it would help the IBS in the meantime. No side effects...I suppose the d got a little better, but nothing to brag about. I just think I was less anxious so it resulted in less d. Keep in mind that a few weeks later (probably when the lexapro started kicking in), I started taking Librax which I think has given me the best benefit to prevent d so far. Well, not prevent...just decrease frequency of flare-ups. Heather's diet and Acacia, along with the Librax seem to be successful so far (about a month). Incidentally, I went off the Lexapro this summer and I saw just a little bit of increase in the d but it could be in my head??? Sorry so vague...hope that helps.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#344316 - 04/09/09 01:07 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Ten years ago I had severe anxiety and IBS-D. I had been prescribed LUVOX (fluvoxamine) and after about a month of taking it (25mg per day, a VERY low dose) both my anxiety and IBS had disappeared. My IBS is directly related to stress and so is my anxiety so maybe that is why it helped me so much. I have been off of LUVOX for a little over 7 yrs now, and just recently both my anxiety and IBS has returned.....now I have noticed by applying dietary changes, even without meds my anxiety and IBS is diminishing.

#349280 - 08/21/09 07:36 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

Zoloft's generic is sertraline. I've been taking it for about 2 months and it has seemed to help to some degree.

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1039 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review