All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nausea
      #266720 - 05/31/06 01:59 PM
robcl

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: Arkansas

Ive read a few posts commenting on nausea, but its my number one problem. How common is this really? I even have several friends with IBS that look at me like im crazy when I talk about all the nausea I get. Cany anybody just ease my mind and tell me that this is common and the diet will get rid of it most of the time. even though ive been diagnosed with IBS alot of my symptoms seem to be the less commonly experienced problems, which is really confusing me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea new
      #266765 - 05/31/06 03:51 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Nausea is one of my main symptoms. There have been times in my life when I have felt nauseous every single day. I had an upper GI which showed nothing wrong.

When I follow Heather's diet and really watch my fat intake my tummy doesn't feel sick. I have been stable for a while and I do cheat every now and then. If I do eat high fat foods for several days the nausea comes back.

The one thing I have noticed about everyone hear on the boards is that we all have IBS and similar symptoms but everyone is different. Everyone has different tolerances and different levels of pain.

--------------------
Janey

#266777 - 05/31/06 04:04 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

Hey - nausea is my number one problem too - in fact - I feel naueas almost every day...ugh. I do not follow the IBS diet because my tummy feels better with whole grains (go figure), but low fat, no caffeine, no alcohol, and lots of pepto bismol help me a lot. I am always looking for tips to decrease my nausea...and would love suggestions too. Have you found anything that works for you? What are your other symptoms that make your docs think IBS? I think that my main problem is functional dyspepsia (IBS of the upper GI) - although I certainly have some lower GI issues too (Good old IBS). I hope that you can get soem relief!

#266797 - 05/31/06 05:27 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Me too. I've found that being on the diet has helped but I still have my days.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#266799 - 05/31/06 05:33 PM
robcl

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: Arkansas

In response to why my doctors said I had IBS, i think it was really just looking at my medical history. I had gastric problems from formula when i was a baby and things never got better, i had to follow a fairly strict diet even until junior high, then i let up a little bit. A few years into college i was diagnosed with an ulcer, the ulcer healed but the nausea never went away. I had the sterotypical IBS problems, constipation and the other extreme, attacks of cramping and gas, but i was so used to it because i dealt with it throughout my life. The nausea has just been a whole new issue that i havent adapted to, sometimes i will have it daily for months on end, then not at all for a few weeks. My endoscopy and colonoscopy came back clean, so my GI went ahead and made the diagnosis. As for things that help, its always changing. the nausea passes, but i never feel like im following the diet correctly because there are times when the only thing that eases it is drinking diluted gatorade and not eating. Then there are times when i have to eat 8 small meals a day. Im just trying to learn to be flexible because i dont know from day to day whats going to help or harm.

Look for ginger capsules... new
      #266890 - 06/01/06 06:24 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I found mine at a pharmacy (one of those chains that are on every street corner in Texas!) with the natural supplements. They work nicely. Others try Ginger Chews my the ginger people or Ginger Altoids...I think the altoids are awful.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Altoids - easing nausea new
      #266908 - 06/01/06 07:52 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

I use Altoids to ease my nausea - nausea is also my main concern, and as an emetophobe (extreme fear of throwing up), it makes life...interesting...shall we say.

But anyhow - I've found regular Altoids (peppermint) to help tremendously. I used to chew Ice Breakers gum to ease it, and it helped to some degree (psychological). Then I noted the gum had sorbitol (fake sugar) in it so stopped using it.

Altoids have no fake sugar which can cause spasms and are pretty powerful. So my tummy gets cooled off really quickly and effectively.

If you have bigtime acid reflux issues, might not be a good bet for you though.

~ e.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

#266912 - 06/01/06 08:26 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've had times where nausea was my main symptom. Those were a while ago, but I ended up finding out in both cases that exercise really helped me. I think that now that I'm handling stress better (hypno & yoga) and eating right (lots of small meals with SF and IF and low fat), it's become a downright rare visitor in my life.

--AC

Eating thru Nausea new
      #266916 - 06/01/06 08:34 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

So - it sounds like a lot of you have been able to successfully eat DESPITE your nausea...able to "push through" in order to get food in you.

I'm always so scared that eating will just increase the nausea (ironically, I know having nothing in my stomach & excess stomach acid can also cause nausea...go figure). With the phobia about throwing out, I will literally starve myself for almost an entire day in order to avoid the potential of throwing up. Not healthy in general. Really not healthy for the IBS.

I just received my Audio 100 hypno CD's. I really look forward to these helping the nausea in general, and I hope that working on the phobia with my therapist will help that angle too.

If anyone has any encouragement/helpful hints for eating thru your nausea, please feel free to share!

~ Emily

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2802 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2611

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review