All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Re: Does Heather's diet really help people or are we just trying to believe it does? new
      #266530 - 05/30/06 07:31 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you had testing done for different allergies and intolerancies?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

whoopiecushion new
      #266600 - 05/31/06 07:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I haven't gone back and read all your old posts, so I'm not completely up on your situation, but if you've given the EFI Diet a serious try for, say, 6 months (some would say a year) and it hasn't helped, then I would think about Lotronex. It does carry some dangers, but if I were in your situation, I would try it. Prescriptions for it are controlled, I believe, so you'll have to find a GI guy who's authorized to prescribe it.

Less drastically, you might consider the hypno program if you haven't already.

As for the fennel tea, if the problem is the taste, try hiding it by brewing the fennel with another tea, like peppermint. If you do a Search for "hate fennel" on the Diet Board with no time limit, you'll find a number of posts, including this old one of mine that in turn points you to another longer one about disguising fennel.

Also, I believe there are yoga poses that may help with gas, so perhaps the Yoga Board would be worth a try.

I also saw your other post about Acacia. There are non-gum based SFS, so if the problem is a sensitivity to gums, perhaps one of those would work. (post , web page) If the fact that you're trying Acacia again means you plan to give the EFI Diet another try, then good luck. I hope it provides you some relief this time around.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Does Heather's diet really help people or are we just trying to believe it does? new
      #266699 - 05/31/06 01:13 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Well, I went to a lot of doctors that did not have a clue of what to do with me. I went to a chiropractor, a nutritionist, a reflexologist....I was very sick, with IBS. That was 5 years ago. I had had it 10 years then. I finally found Help with IBS, and started the "what to eat, when you can't eat anything" in Heathers book. Within days, I saw and felt a big difference in my health. I have followed her diet and lifestyle, now for 5 years. I am healthier and stable everyday now. I don't miss red meats, or dairy products. I can not say enough about this website or her book and products. It gave me back my health and I don't have to be restricted about where I go. I used the hynotherapy tapes, and got off of xanax and my anxiety problems disappeared. I am SO much happier! Yes it works.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#266704 - 05/31/06 01:22 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I can drink gingerale, or cream soda, just stir it up, til you think the carbonation is out of it. I also drink lemonade, without any problems. Why can't you drink ice tea that is decaffineated?

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

allery tests I have had
      #266715 - 05/31/06 01:51 PM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

My first allery test that I took was lactose intolerance. It came back negative, even though I started having D episodes about 20 minutes after the test started and I continually had to run to the bathroom between injections. When I had a sonogram in NYC years ago, I will never forget I had to drink this solution before having the test. After the test we went to the musuem of Natural History and not long after this pain came and I ran to the bathroom and exactly what I drank came out in buckets, like white milk shake. Went right through me. I recently had a series of allery tests done to test glucose for possible celiacs. It came back negative, however there were very small indications of wheat and fish allery, but the doctor told me they were insignificant amounts. I think I have carbohydrate intolerance. When I eat spagetti my stomach blows up like someone pumped me up with an air pump. The only way I can describe my gas problems, is it seems like someone is blowing me up like a balloon, and there is only a small pin hole that won't release any of the air without manual force. I spend a minimum of 2 hours on the toilet every morning every day of my life for the last 20 years deflating myself on the toilet, pushing on the lower left side of my abdomen to get it out. Think of a whoopie cushion, that is what I am and that is how my body works. It is a cruel joke from the devil.

Re: whoopiecushion new
      #266726 - 05/31/06 02:06 PM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

The truth is I never made it that far on the diet. I can't get to any point where things are good and I can begin adding. Not even bread and water bring on intestinal happiness. I think I lasted a month. No matter what I do I can not stop the severe intestinal bloating and trapped gas that end and begin each day with gas that can blow the toilet seat off. I will give the fennel another try mixed with the peppermint. I love peppermint tea and drink it everyday. Thanks for your advise.

Edited by whoopiecushion (05/31/06 02:11 PM)

What about stool samples? new
      #266749 - 05/31/06 03:18 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Have you had stool samples taken for parasites? I have the same kind of crazy bloating that you do, and was just diagnosed with a parasite. So I am doing an anti-parasite herbal/diet regimen right now. The bacteria I have, blastocystis hominis, apparently especially loves grains, which is possibly why I get tons of gas from grains, like you (I tested negative for celiac but gave up wheat a long time ago). Good luck, I know it sucks.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: Beth! new
      #266813 - 05/31/06 06:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes the banana is my SF source. I eat lots of them. I really am not very touchy with IF but I don't want to be negligent if possible. For lunch I have dollar bun sandwiches often. The buns are SF enough since flour is the first thing on the list and then whole wheat flour later on. I eat jasmine rice very often for dinner but sometimes I have baguette or potatoes or pasta. More often it is rice. I have at least one IF veggie for dinner. Tonight I had salad and cornbread and grilled chicken.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#266819 - 05/31/06 06:47 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

make sure that bread doesn't have dairy! Took me awhile to figure that one out! I know you don't need milk to make bread but many packaged breads do! Maybe that's why your bread and water doesn't help.
Hope you feel better!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#266832 - 05/31/06 08:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

In addition to the other ideas people have given you, you might look into probiotics and possibly even into getting tested for SIBO (here and here).

Good luck. I hope you find some relief.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 84852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review