Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Help for constipation please!
      #266136 - 05/28/06 10:59 PM
lorien

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: Wales, U.K

Hi,
I'm new to this site and have already found it sooooooo helpful!

I have started Heather's advice re SF and am really bunged up since increasing SF.
At the moment I don't know what to eat ~ stomach and bowel pain, bloating etc.. sweating when I need to go but I can't go!

I have a long history with IBS and acupuncture helped me a lot. I'm trying to become more self sufficient in the way that I treat myself, and diet is so central.

Can't take supplements or probiotics without reactions.

Any suggestions and input gratefully received! You know it all ~ there's a wealth of info between us!

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help for constipation please! new
      #266139 - 05/29/06 12:24 AM
anne354

Reged: 02/13/03

So glad to have you aboard; welcome. I do my best to follow the suggested diet with any modifications I need to make, and I have to take a couple of doses of milk of mag everyday. (My doc told me years ago when I was diagnosed with IBS-C that I need to do whatever it takes to stay regular; if I go three days without a bowel movement, I could end up in the hospital with a major blockage.) I say, whatever works. There's no one hard and fast answer on this site; we're all individual. Good luck; keep reading and posting. That's how I learn what I need to know from others.

#266163 - 05/29/06 07:40 AM
hopeful

Reged: 05/19/06

3 days without a bowel movement? i just went a little over a week without one, after having them daily for 2 weeks straight.

#266325 - 05/30/06 08:05 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you searched the site and the boards? You *need* IF in your diet. This has been posted about regularly....

--AC

#266333 - 05/30/06 08:25 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I'm so glad someone else finally talks about taking MOM (milk of Mag) everyday. I get to take three tablespoons nightly or I have serious trouble. I also use acacia, take Zelnorm and watch my diet. Before I found that little secret I had three major surgeries and numerous hospital stays due to constipation (impaction really). There are some of us who can't handle the least little bit of insoluable fiber unless it is put through a blender. It really is an indiviual thing. I have basically been stable for well over a year (stable to me is no hospitalizations, no major long bouts of pain). I watch what I eat carefully everyday. I just got back from a three day conference and no mater how careful I am it still messes me up (that plus the long weekend. I wish you luck. There is lots of great advice on these boards but what works for one doesn't alsways work for someone else. It really is trial and error. The teas also work great for me-Peppermint, Chomomile, and Fennel.

Re: Help for constipation please! Here are some suggestions.... new
      #266375 - 05/30/06 10:35 AM
Shakasue

Reged: 08/01/05
Loc: USA

Hi there:

Hopefully I can be of some help as I have had IBS for 5+ years. With regards to constipation there are several things I can suggest and hopefully one or more of these ideas, along with those from the other IBS sufferers, can help alleviate some of your constipation and frustration.

1. Food Journal: a simple spiral bound small notebook will do, one that can easily fit into your purse or bag. It needs to be done consistently to see what your triggers are and is also a good place to pen your thoughts.
2. Exercise: Any form will do, but get your body moving. This will not only help your body, but it will help reduce stress which is another IBS trigger.
3. Baebbe: I would recommend you to look into this product before buying it, but it has done wonders for me. (I have been taking it for 3 weeks as today.) It is not cheap, but I have literally tried everything under the sun to reduce my constipation. I got this product from my doctor's office but it can purchased online. It is called Baebbe and it is an all natural herbal product. My doctor and nutritionist both told me that this is NOT a lifelong product you need to be on and the literature suggests taking it for 100 days. Taking a regulator (or laxative) alone can weaken the colon which makes our problem of going to the restroom worse. I was told that this product actually helps HEAL the colon and will help get the colon back to its mobile state. Suggested length of use is 100 days, although my situation is so chronic that I plan to stay on it a bit longer.

It is not to be used by those who are pregnant or nursing and it is suggested you stop taking it when you menstruate. I take 2 capsules after breakfast and dinner and am going to the restroom every day and most days, more than once a day! (On my own my body only eliminates once a week - lovely.)

I mentioned the cost, so let me give you what I know, but please refer to their website for info as well. (www.baebbe.com) I bought a starter pack that contains 180 tablets. They suggest you take 2-3 tablets after dinner and the cost for the 180 tablets is $150. Again, I take it twice a day because of how severe my constipation is but you could stretch out the start pack to last 3 months if you take 2 tablets each day after dinner. They have smaller packs as well.

It is your body and wallet, so please see if this might be a viable option for you. I have used an enema (water bottle kind), Zelnorm (presciption med for IBS), fiber, a regulator to make me go to the bathroom, and literally everything that Heather has suggested. The last thing I want to be on is prescription medication or a laxative that will make me worse.

Additionally, I have been searching for something that will help heal the colon (probiotics are a great help, by the way - get the refrigerated kind) heal itself. Like any other wound, the colon needs to calm down and heal in order for it to get better. To me, this is one means to that end. I have been an athlete my whole life and figured there had to be a better way.

Don't forget a ton of water each day, try and reduce stress as best you can and know that you are not alone.

Good luck and let us know if you find any other great ideas or make any progress.

Best,
Sue

#266596 - 05/31/06 07:13 AM
lorien

Hi Sue,

I'm not well at the moment and so unable to make a long reply to your very constructive advice and input to my query re constipation.

But! Everything you say is very useful and I am deeply appreciative.

I'm particularly interested in Baebbe, and will look at the website you've given me. I will let you know if I try it and the outcomes.

I live with M.E./C.F.S and I also have mobility problems. This makes exercise very difficult.

I have a real problem taking any supplements, and having spent 100s of pounds (I'm in Wales, UK!) on trying out supplements, I'm now very cautious before trying out lots of new things.

Sometimes 'less' is better than 'more'!!

Better stop and reply to the others who wrote, but I will let you know if I try Baebbe!

Really hope that the Beabbe keeps on working for you!

Best regards, and stay well!

Joanna

Shakasue! Re your constipation advice to me! new
      #266597 - 05/31/06 07:17 AM
lorien

Sue,

I sent you a reply, but don't know if you would have noticed it without your name on it! So am sending this to alert you to look!

Joanna

jblake! Re your advice on constipation! new
      #266598 - 05/31/06 07:22 AM
lorien

Hi,

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your suggestion about MOM!! I remember now that my mum used to give this to me as a child! Bought some this morning, and in about 15 mins I felt soothed and able to eat some lunch!

I am indebted!

Kindest regards,

Joanna

AstroChick! Re your reply to mine on constipation! new
      #266599 - 05/31/06 07:26 AM
lorien

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the comments! Yes, I do need to search the boards, but haven't been well enough to go through it all yet. Fortunately my post brought in some very constructive advice to keep me going until I can do a wider search.

Regards,

Joanna

Anne354 Re your advice on constipation! new
      #266603 - 05/31/06 07:33 AM
lorien

Hi Anne,

Just to say a big thankyou for your warm welcome to the boards and your input about MOM!

I bought some this morning and it helped to sooth me in 15 mins!

As you say ~ we're all different and what works for one person may not work for another. I live with M.E./C.F.S. and have learnt this well and truly. I've tried many supplements that have worked wonders for others ~ and completely messed me up!

MOM was good today anyway ~ and I'm encouraged!

A soothed colon makes for a soothed mind as well! In acupuncture there's a definate correlation between the two!

Thanks again, and best regards,

Joanna

Hopeful! Re your reply on constipation! new
      #266604 - 05/31/06 07:39 AM
lorien

Hallo Hopeful,

How AWFUL to be 'stuck' for a week! Was this after starting a diet with increased IF?

Have a look at the other replies I got and hopefully there'll be some useful info in there for you as well?

Good luck, and let's hope we both get moving soon!!!!!!!!

Joanna/Lorin

Re: baebbe new
      #266621 - 05/31/06 08:58 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

It says that this product is for weight loss as well? So, there is no harmful things in it like there are in diet pills are there? Would it make you lose weight? ..Because I don't think I can afford to lose any more weight.
I am interested in the product, however, and I would like for you to keep us posted if you can. Thanks!

Re: Alli and Loren!: re: baebbe/constipation new
      #266683 - 05/31/06 11:31 AM
Shakasue

Hi there:

I am looking @ the box because you had asked about if it contains any of those bad things that diet pills have. It states that it does NOT contain: stimulants, caffeine, ephedra (herbal name is Ma-Hwang), senna or laxatives. It is 100% Chinese herbs.

My doctor's office, which does traditional and wellness programs, were the ones who gave me samples of this first to try. I used it for about 5 days, saw great results, and then came back to order a box.

I personally don't agree with their angle (baebbe's, that is) that this is a weight-loss product, that seems a bit gimmicky to me. I am guessing that the weight loss comes from losing the toxins and build-up that stays in your colon over time. My waist has gotten smaller but that is only because I am less bloated.

I don't think I would have bought the box unless I had tried the samples first. This whole IBS issue is so emotional for all of us and each time we try something that may make our days and nights easier, there is an emotional reaction that occurs. I can't tell you how many times i have cried out of sheer frustration that I can't figure why my body reacts so adversely to things. So suffice to say, I am cautious to suggest any product or path because I don't want you to get your hopes up and then get let down. Alternatively, we all need to share our ideas so that we don't feel alone and even better, we may find a suggestion that can significantly help us.

Sorry for rambling; please let me know if you have any more questions on the baebbe product or if you have any other ideas for constipation. I'll keep you posted over time on how this works for me.

Sue

Re: Alli and Loren!: re: baebbe/constipation new
      #266727 - 05/31/06 02:06 PM
Alli

Thank you! I would love to be updated on your progress with this herbal product. It seems promising. My hopes don't usually increase about any new drugs, but I usually become very interested when I here /real/ success stories about them.
Thank you very much for mentioning this product. I may try it if I feel the need.

Hopeful! I should have said SF not IF new
      #266859 - 06/01/06 12:51 AM
lorien

Sorry Hopeful ~ I don't know if you'll get this, but in my last reply I should have asked you whether you are more stuck since increasing SF not IF.

Oh dear ~ my brain has collapsed...........

Regards......

Shakasue, re baebbe again! new
      #266860 - 06/01/06 01:00 AM
lorien

Hallo again Sue,

I'm always several hours behind postings because am in the UK!

I looked at the baebbe website, and saw the weight loss sales talk. I'm glad that Alli asked you about it as I was going to. I don't want to lose more weight at the moment either.

I don't know about trying all these new herbs in one go, but I notice you mention they do samples, and so I'll ask them about this.

Have you had any adverse side effects at all?

We are all so different that in the end one just has to try something out and see if it works or not.

Acupuncture worked very well for me, and I also have a long history of using enemas ~ both coffee and water. I don't want to go back down that road on a regular basis if I can avoid it.

I have a lot of respect though for chinese herbs, so will reflect on baebbe.

Look after yourself,

Joanna (Lorien)

Re: Shakasue, re baebbe again! new
      #266949 - 06/01/06 10:10 AM
Alli

Personally, I'm not familiar with chinese herbs, but I am interested in this product, although I am not planning to try it anytime soon. I would not recommend this to just anyone, but before I usually start the ibs diet, I usually fast or 'detox' for a number of days to allow my system to clean or flush itself. This makes it easier for me to start. It occured to me, after visiting that website for the second time, that the weight loss probably isn't exactly body fat, but maybe it just refers to the wastes, ect in your intestines that need to be flushed out because I don't think I see any igredients that can help you lose actual body fat. (Although I'm not familiar with diet pills, so I guess I wouldn't know.)

Re: AstroChick! Re your reply to mine on constipation! new
      #267001 - 06/01/06 01:25 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

As a first step, try going to the "IBS News & Reviews" at the top of the page, and look at Heather's newsletters. She's had several about constipation.

--AC

Astro Chick Re News and Reviews new
      #267113 - 06/01/06 11:56 PM
lorien

Thanks for this tip AstroChick!

News and Reviews next stop!

Joanna

Re: Allie and Lorien, re baebbe again! new
      #267180 - 06/02/06 09:43 AM
Shakasue

Hi Joanna and Allie:

To answer your question, I have not had any adverse side effects at all. My only adjustment was trying to determine how many tablets were right for me. They suggest 2 to 3 tablets after dinner (30 minutes after, to be exact) and taking 2 tablets was good for me. Taking 3 was too much for me and I woke up that night and had to go.

I have been going several times a day and that is amazing given how severe my C was. But hey, I am excited to be getting rid of the toxins in my body!

Cheers,
Sue

ps. Allie: I agree with you that the "weight loss" comes from getting rid of waste in your body as opposed to actualy body fat. I am not familair with these herbs either and at some point I may Google them to learn more.

#268168 - 06/07/06 03:38 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

Sue, just read your post and how have you been doing on this it should be about a month now since you posted this. I did look up the product and very tempted to try. I have severe C as well and at last straws. Been on Xiapian but not really helping. So let me know how you are doing and I m not real happy to see how expensive it is. It seems the more expensive something is, is usually a crock!

Re: Shakasue, re baebbe again! new
      #348619 - 07/31/09 03:40 AM
David84

Reged: 07/31/09

I am not planning to try it anytime soon. I would not recommend this to just anyone, but before I usually start the ibs diet, I usually fast or 'detox' for a number of days to allow my system to clean or flush itself. This makes it easier for me to start. It occured to me, after visiting that website for the second time, that the weight loss probably isn't exactly body fat, but maybe it just refers to the wastes, ect in your intestines that need to be flushed out because I don't think I see any igredients that can help you lose actual body fat.
Which are the best detox diets for recipes?

detox diet recipes for weight loss

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review