All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm New Here -- Can Anybody Help?
      #265967 - 05/27/06 06:07 PM
Strixowl

Reged: 05/26/06

I'm new here and was diagnosed with IBS-D a few months ago & got from my Dr. what I'm finding many have. "Nobody knows how people get it and it can't be cured. Ok, so go home and take Metamucil/Citrucel/etc. per the instructions. See me in 6 wks.

I found this site and have been helped allot, but I know I can get a better handle on it. I guess one of my biggest problems is when under attack I lack enough energy to continue to study up, exercise etc.

I haven't read Heather's books, but have them ordered. And as $$ permit will try her products.

I do have a question. I had been using a combo of Citrucel powder & pills, but prefer organic. I purchased the acacia and after about 4days I got my present attack bad & have gone back to the Citrucel, but its taking along time.

Question??? Has anyone else had this problem making the switch? Were you successful in ever making it? And how?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm New Here -- Can Anybody Help? new
      #265984 - 05/27/06 08:45 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How much Acacia did you start taking?

Also have you tried any probiotics? They do help a lot too.

Edit: Soory, I forgot to say welcome to the boards, and I hope you feel better soon

Edited by Gracie (05/27/06 08:46 PM)

#266047 - 05/28/06 11:08 AM
Strixowl

Gracie,
Thank you for responding. I started by taking an equal amount (in grams)to the Citrucel powder & tabs I had been taking.

You asked if I had been taking probiotics. No,I'd never heard of probiotics except via this site. Where can one purchase them? Is an RX needed? Any name brand suggestions. Also would a probiotic be taken with Citrucel or in addition to acacia if I can get it to work for me?
Thanks Again for your response & welcome

P.S. Little better today but still afraid to leave the house.

#266055 - 05/28/06 01:22 PM
Gracie

I don't think you can start the acacia that way, that's probably why you're not feeling so good. If you were taking Benefibre it would be fine to do the switch, but not with Citrucel. You'll have to start with about 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a days, then gradually increase to 1/2 teaspoon, and so on until you reach a level that you are stable.

For probiotics you can buy them in a health food store, and you don't need a perscription. There are many different kinds available, but I've had luck with both Primal Defense and Enzymatic Therapy's Acidophillus Pearls. Others here on this board have had success with (I think it's called)Jarrow Dophillus. You should start with only 1 a day and then gradually increase by 1 every few days, or every week, otherwise you may feel gassy and bloated until your body gets used to it. With the Enzymatic Therapy pearls, you only take 1 a day.

Edited by Gracie (05/28/06 01:23 PM)

#266060 - 05/28/06 02:04 PM
Strixowl

Gracie,
By this do you mean "totally" stop the Citrucel and then start with a less than equal dose (grams) of acacia or gradually decrease the Citrucel & increase the acacia at the same time? I guess I'm thinking less fiber would bring on another attack.
Thanks again your being quite helpful,
Strixowl

#266061 - 05/28/06 02:29 PM
Gracie

Sorry, my bad. I was thinking Citrucel was a psyllium fibre.
It seems like you were doing the right thing by matching the same grams of fibre (1 tsp acacia = 2 grams fibre, 1 tblsp acacia = 6 grams fibre). I know there are a few people here that cannot tollerate acacia...maybe you're one of them?

#266195 - 05/29/06 02:09 PM
Strixowl

Hmmmmm, could be

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3511 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review