All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How are you with...Nuts, Dairy, Eggs, Salad?
      #265930 - 05/27/06 02:53 PM
jaq

Reged: 05/20/06
Loc: Bournemouth, England

I've never felt I've had any problems with these things, but know that they can be awkward for some IBS sufferers. I've heard raw veg is not good so was wondering about salad foods, especially lettuce which I've been eating for a while.

As I said, not had any problems with these foods in the past but wondering now if I should cut them out/down until I get my symptoms under control. My IBS-D does seem to have got a lot worse this last week and am wondering if you have any further advice.

--------------------
Never EVER give up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How are you with...Nuts, Dairy, Eggs, Salad? new
      #265931 - 05/27/06 03:03 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Nuts & Dairy cause me the most problems. Salad seems to be hit or miss with me. It's better if I have something in my stomach at the time when I have a salad. I'm not sure about eggs but I usually don't eat many of them so it's tough to tell.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#265938 - 05/27/06 04:23 PM
aross

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Alabama

I have been diagnosed for over 13 years with IBS. It seems like the trigger foods change from year to year. But I have not been able to eat salads for nearly 4 years now (or longer). Not even one bite of lettuce. Ice Cream (real ice cream) seems to give me severe symptoms. I cannot eat red meat and have noticed that just eating eggs (scrambled, omelets, etc.) bring on symptoms as well. I have just had 7 polyps removed from my colon and I am learning to eat all over again. It seems like a daily lesson. Any healthy eating advice is welcomed.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

#265939 - 05/27/06 04:27 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I'm actually pretty good with all of these, but I don't think that's typical.

--------------------
Kim

#265954 - 05/27/06 05:17 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Nuts: only a few after a large safe meal
Dairy: Absolutely not! No matter what I do with it, it hurts me.
Eggs: Eggs are okay with me. The yolks can trigger attacks for some people though.
Salad: I only eat romaine, spinach and butter lettuce and only with a good SF base. Those are the 3 that my body seems to tolerate. Different for everyone though.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

bad with dairy... new
      #265960 - 05/27/06 05:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

and egg yolks. I can handle one egg yolk in something large and low enough in fat. And I can handle a tiny bit of the softer cheeses with a low fat meal or a few bites dairy dessert at the end of a special meal.

Nuts and salad I can do fine as long as I follow the rules with SF first and overall fat percentage kept low. I often have a banana and a few peanuts and raisins after exercise.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#265985 - 05/27/06 08:49 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I have a problem with dairy.

Raw vegetables are NOT bad new
      #265990 - 05/27/06 09:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Raw vegetables can be difficult to digest, but if you find that you can eat them without any problems, by all means, keep eating them. I try to eat a BIG salad every day - I do average 4 days a week reliably. The key is to follow the IBS diet guidelines and eat some soluble fiber foods to "cushion" it... and if you're still trying to stabilize, you might want to steer clear of roughage for a little while, but definitely work towards adding it back in once you're feeling better. It's very important to get enough insoluble fiber in your diet, and salads are a good way to do that if you can tolerate them.

Dairy is a HUGE trigger for most people with IBS. Cut it out completely. Human digestive systems were never meant to handle the milk of other animals. I can almost guarantee you'll feel better without it.

I can do nuts, but I couldn't when I wasn't stable. Ditto for eggs, although egg whites should be safe for you regardless of whether you're stable or not.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review