All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probably a stupid colonoscopy prep question
      #265912 - 05/27/06 01:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you guys think it is wiser to get regular flavor ginger ale and pospsicles even though they contain HFCS...or would the diet versions be better even thought they contain splenda or aspartame? Or doesn't even matter? I'm just trying to do the least damage possible.

I was also told to drink Propel...but that contains sucralose (splenda) and apple juice (which is a problem usually).

Any thoughts?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probably a stupid colonoscopy prep question new
      #265918 - 05/27/06 01:35 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

If it was me, I'd go for the ginger ale and popsicles even though they have HFCS, I dilute ginger ale with bottled water. You could make your own popsicles out of cranberry juice too. The sucrolose in Propel would give me a migraine! What about regular Gatorade? How are you with that? I'm okay on it and it helps when I'm super dehydrated. Good luck!! Colonoscopies are not my fav event by any means!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#265919 - 05/27/06 01:44 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

To be honest I don't think that it will matter a whole lot, it's all coming out anyway and it will be crampy so you won't know if the effects are the prep or the HFCS/sweetener. Therefore, for reasons of tasting better I suppose I would go for the regular. (I realise how lucky we are here that the dreaded HFCS isn't in our regular sodas etc, so if I am ill I can drink flat 7up and it really helps my tummy)

The colonoscopy itself is fine, it's the prep that's yuck, but we will all be here for you Beth

--------------------
S.

#265928 - 05/27/06 02:42 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It won't matter. Whatever solution you have to mix with ginger ale or whatever is going to clean you out anyway.

I forget offhand what solution I had, but it tasted absolutely awful. Nasty, nasty stuff. I mixed it with diet 7-Up because I had one in the fridge, which made it even nastier. I would suggest you get whatever would cause you the least amount of pain. For me, that would be something with HCFS. Last time I tried anything with artificial sweetner, it was Gas City.

Can you drink regular Gatorade instead of Propel?

Thanks...I know it really doesn't matter the day... new
      #265935 - 05/27/06 03:36 PM
Augie

...of the actual prep. But I was thinking about delayed effects the following days. Wasn't sure if one would have longer lasting effects than the others.

--------------------
~ Beth

I wish the USA would adopt that same philosophy new
      #265936 - 05/27/06 03:38 PM
Augie

It's great they haven't pumped HFCS into all your foods and beverages. Hopefully, it will stay that way!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks...I know it really doesn't matter the day... new
      #265944 - 05/27/06 04:49 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

For what it's worth, I don't recall any particularly ill effects days after from the diet 7-Up or Gatorade after my procedures last year. I mean, nothing unusual for me after that point in time. Well, other than I haven't had Gatorade since, but that's psychological .

#268351 - 06/08/06 03:45 PM
dodosherri

Reged: 12/21/03

-hi-what is the purpose in cutting down the fibre in the diet one week pre-colonscopy-it would seem to me that one would want to have everything moving well!??

#268383 - 06/08/06 06:04 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Wow, Beth, looking at your signature, you sound like me.

My recent doc said he didn't think a colonoscopy was really that necessary but if I insisted he'd write me a referral - I also got some advice here that I'm better off getting one than skipping it.

I'm kind of afraid to though, and your questions are confusing - I had no idea there was so much involved! LOL

Btw, Beth, there is no such thing as a stupid question (except for the one that isn't asked). That is just my opinion though. Good luck, I hope you get the help and answers you need.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 522 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2014

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review