All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Perfectionist
      #2654 - 03/13/03 03:18 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

REading through the posts, I"m wondering if I"m interpreting a few things here. It seems a few ibs-ers consider themselves perfectionists. I was told by my doc that I suffered an anxiety disorder due to being an overachiever in highschool. Now, 10 years on, though I don't think I"m anxious, people still say I"m a perfectionist or overachiever.

ANyone else the same?

Oh - another thing - seems like a lot of people on the board are teachers. Me too! What a coincidence!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Perfectionist new
      #2667 - 03/13/03 05:38 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You sound just like me! I'm a teacher, was an overachiever (brutal perfectionist while in school) and have an anxiety disorder (OCD) which I just had diagnosed this fall, but have had all my life. I hated being a perfectionist - but I just had to exhaust myself to every small detail. I'm not quite as bad anymore, but the OCD has taken a turn for the worse, and although I'm less stressed than when I was teaching (I'm stying home to raise my son), my anxiety was still out of control. I'd love to get to know you better - maybe we can help each other out. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2706 - 03/13/03 10:21 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

OH, holy cow yes!! Perfectionist, overachiever, too hard on yourself, put too much pressure on myself. I don't mean to do this and while in college I can see where I was doing it (graduated suma cum laude while holding 2 jobs) now I'm 30 years old, a mom, and should know better. But I guess you can only do so much to change your psychological make-up. I am a teacher too!!!!!!!!! Taught first grade before staying home with the kiddos. How odd! Thanks for the thought provoking post.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#2769 - 03/13/03 08:14 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I think you hit the nail on the head. Perfectionism: by the time I was in third grade my teacher had to constantly remind me not to erase *every single* mistake and start over! Anxiety: I worry about *everything.* I mean EVERYTHING. AND...I'm going to be a teacher. Or, I will be a teacher if anyone hires me after I graduate in May! Yet another thing to worry about....

#2771 - 03/13/03 09:32 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

me too me too! i'm a perfectionist and always have been. although i am NOT a teacher, and don't plan on it. hmmm maybe it's in my destiny though and i just don't know it yet... nah. ;-) i have wondered wheather i might have a touch of OCD cuz i do have a tendency to do things in a certain order and "just so" but there's probably more to it that i don't know.

beth

#2777 - 03/14/03 12:35 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Girls this is getting a little spooky, I too am a teacher!!!! I am also sure my family would class me as a perfectionist and at times a pessimist! Everthing has to be just so in my house although I have improved in that area since my son was born. It's increasingly difficult keeping the house "just so" with a 2 yr old.

I must admit I can't relax with mess around. My husband always says sit down and rest but I can't until everything is done. He's a real glass is half full person but I'm usually the glass is half empty kind so we even each other out!

Yet another "perfectionist teacher"
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2780 - 03/14/03 04:00 AM
tlc

How odd is this??? My mum said to me that when I was in my early years of education, I would be such a perfectionist with my homework sheets, that I'd erase so much out to restart - which resulted in big tears in my paper!!!

I too worry about absolutely evertyhing and everyone else and I really hate things that are beyond my control!!

#2781 - 03/14/03 04:03 AM
tlc

In seeking to be 'the best' I can - I too put too much pressure on myself. I'm not happy settling for something that's not perfect (when it comes to my own performance) and I dread failure or criticism in my performance. I am a highschool teacher and Head of Department for curriculum.

#2782 - 03/14/03 04:06 AM
tlc

Isn't it bizarre? I thought there was something that appeared coincidental with a few of us on the board! I don't have OCD (apart from the TP issue which I started on the board a week or so back). However, I am a brutal perfectionist in my work.

It would be great to get to know each other better. Here's a start. I'm 26, been a highschool teacher (english and drama) for 6 years. AT age 24, I became head of department, curriculum at a new college. I hate things that are seemingly beyond my control and I worry about everyone - sometimes maybe I try to take on too much responsibility for others egfamily?

Wow - that is deep! But would love to hear back from you - all of you

#2783 - 03/14/03 04:09 AM
tlc

This is spooky indeed!

I"m not a perfectionist in the house (except for the TP having to be on the right way for me!).

I am a perfectionist in my work and dealing with others eg family etc. Can't stand things beyond my control and can't procrastinate for the life of me!

My boss just told me that I work like a bat out of hell! hehe

Were you a primary or highschool teacher? I"m at a new college in brissy.

#2790 - 03/14/03 05:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

This is so unbelievable. You think we were all born under the same sign?????? I'm 30 and taught music, geography and special ed. Staying home with my 18 month old and expecting number 2 in September. I know from Heather that IBS is not linked to a psychological source, but I'm wondering if us "perfectionists" and anxious people are more prone to it or have a harder time managing it. A couple of my friends went to Teachers College in Australia because it's so hard to get into them here in Canada.
Here's something I'm sure we can all relate to - I used to never eat anything but toast for breakfast and a bowl of rice for lunch for fear I'd have an attack during the school day. I'm sure as all of you have had at one point in time - I had some classes I could leave for 15 minutes, return and they'd still be working and I could leave for 15 seconds with another class and come back to chaos. (didn't help that I mostly taught grade 7 and 8 - the hormonal darlings that they are!)

--------------------

Re: OCD websites with more info new
      #2791 - 03/14/03 05:20 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Try ocdhope.com and ocdfoundation.org for more specifics on OCD. There's also lots of links from these two websites. Most people have OCD tendencies. We all have little quirks about wanting things a certain way. It is only dianosed when it starts to take over your life or causes great anxiety. Take care!

--------------------

#2792 - 03/14/03 06:06 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

WOW- all these teachers. I worked as a Daycare Teacher until my daughter was born. I too am a perfectionist and have a hard time adjusting to change if it is not in my game plan. I am very anxious about things and alittle OC when it comes to other things. Oh well, we wonder why we all have IBS!!!!

#2795 - 03/14/03 06:56 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

When I student taught, I ate nothing for breakfast and prezels and water for lunch. No wonder I lost so much weight. I didn't do so well because I was overwelmed with all the stress and trying not to have to leave a class to use the bathroom. It was also hard to prepare great lessons with my daughters around. I hated every minute of student teaching. I did wonderful when I taught my junior year of college. We only had to teach two days a week and really only one lesson. I had more time to do a fun lesson. I had first graders at the time. My special ed. student teaching placement was horrible. My teacher didn't want anything to do with me. she just wanted the money, I know this because my last day there she asked me to find out if she was going to get her money. I was so sick then and I knew I hated teaching, I just said give me an unsatifactory. I know I didn't do a great job, but I also know I didn't deserve that grade.

As for perfection, interesting. I am not a perfectionist by normal definitions. I think maybe I am in that I hate failure and would perfer to not do something then fail. i think our house is on the messier side because it is never ending and I never feel it will be clean. My IBS started within three to four weeks after my last daughter was born. I think partly becuase my sister had a baby six days before my daughter and she was doing everything two days after my nephew was born (she also had a hyperactive thyroid which was removed last year.) I felt so much presure to keep up and do everything I did before that I pushed myself too hard, especially since her delivery was bad. She didn't sleep at night for six weeks so I was exhausted and started becoming depressed. The pill just made it so much worse. The depression started dimishing when she was 10 months old and I went off the pill.

#2838 - 03/14/03 06:48 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

you guysbnshould start your own club, all you perfectionism teachers. I AM NEITHER OF THE ABOVE.

A little off topic... new
      #8387 - 05/06/03 02:47 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

... but maybe not that far. Since teaching happens to be a common "side effect" for IBS, I just wanted to tell you all Happy National Teacher Day!

Teachers rock...without them, I wouldn't be where I am today. I just wish I'd appreciated them more when I was younger.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Happy National Teacher Day...I admire all of you teachers out there for what you do every day...I'm sure it isn't always easy, especially with IBS! Keep up the good work!

Re: A little off topic... new
      #8388 - 05/06/03 03:09 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I agree with Mags, and the appreciate your teachers day. In our school today, we had a choice to write any teacher a teacher gram telling them how much we appreciate them. I wrote a nice long note to my chem teacher. She has her gallbladder out, and has ibs too. Shes really cool,realistic and understanding. Happy teachs day all!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Thanks from a teacher .... new
      #8444 - 05/07/03 06:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Even though I'm not working right now, it is nice to hear. In my part of the world, teachers have a government who hates their guts, and I no longer tell people that I am a teacher - because I grew tired of being slammed for what I do. It's nice to know someone appreciates us. Sorry if this sounds whiny - that was not my intent. It's always nice to know someone is appreciated.

--------------------

#8457 - 05/07/03 10:15 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You don't sound whiny! You should be proud to do something so great. That's terrible people make you want to hide the fact you do something so wonderful!

#8496 - 05/07/03 03:03 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I absolutely can't believe that teaching is not a respected occupation in Canada! That is just nuts!

In my mind, teaching is one of the noblest things you can do with your life. It takes a certain kind of person to be a good teacher (one gift I don't have).

Hooray for teachers!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8571 - 05/08/03 07:28 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I would just like to specify that in Saskatchewan we appreciate teachers. There is never really too much trouble with them getting what they want here.

I don't mean to say you are lying HanSolo. I just wanted to clarify.

And if it's any justification, I appreciate you HanSolo LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#8702 - 05/09/03 06:35 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Yeah - I didn't make the generalization that Canadians don't appreciate teachers. Someone responding to my post did. Ontario's teachers are going through a rough time - too many cutbacks to count. Thanks for the kind words fellow Canadian!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1642 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2414

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review