All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scared to try Equalactin
      #264881 - 05/22/06 06:02 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

I went recently to a pretty clueless GI who gave me samples of Equalactin to try--I have chronic IBS-D and I am currently taking Donnatol 4x a day (prescribed). I am afraid to introduce the Equalactin until I am done with teaching in June. I don't want to get sick again while working--I have missed so much work!

So I wondered if Equalactin contributes to people's flares and symptoms? I read through past posts and saw some Equalactin fans. Is it really effective?

--------------------
IBS-D!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared to try Equalactin new
      #264885 - 05/22/06 06:12 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Do a search on this. Equalactin is tremendously helpful and not at all harmful. It's one of the few non-Heather products that Heather openly supports. Give it a try!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#265020 - 05/23/06 12:15 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oh, Equilactin is about the most stabilizing thing you could try! It calms down my belly really well. The only drawback to it is how expensive it is relative to stuff like acacia.

--AC

Equalactin has stopped many attacks (m) new
      #265042 - 05/23/06 01:47 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

in me. I am IBS-D. Don't be afraid to try it. I also take Donnatal and lomotil occasionally. This doesn't interfere with medications.

Sandy

#267003 - 06/01/06 01:27 PM
MamaCat

THANK YOU all for the tips--I have been so afraid to do something new and lately I've been having attacks more frequently--I am going to try the Equalactin and see what happens.

Could anyone give me some advice about your dosage? The GI just handed me some samples and said "Take this" with no specific directions in mind. Needless to say I am not returning to his office.

--------------------
IBS-D!

I've been taking Prodiem, lately. new
      #267037 - 06/01/06 07:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Oddly enough, I've had success with Prodiem (contains calcium carbophil which is also in Equalactin) for the past few weeks.
I started at the minimum dose and am now up to 6 pills/day in 3 divided doses. I've had no gassiness/bloating and it's really helped ease my D attacks. I'm hardly using any Immodium, lately. I tend to take the pills about half an hour or so before meals.

Kate, IBS-D.

#267204 - 06/02/06 10:19 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've just chewed one while drinking water. That usually settles me down pretty quickly, but I think you can have 2 or more at a sitting.

The Internet to the rescue: it looks like you can take 2 tabs at a time up to 4 times a day according to the package .

--AC

Re: I've been taking Prodiem, lately. new
      #267291 - 06/02/06 03:11 PM
Strixowl

Reged: 05/26/06

Is Equalactin a prescription medication or over the counter? I've never heard of or seen it.

#267298 - 06/02/06 03:55 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

over the counter

Quote:

Is Equalactin a prescription medication or over the counter? I've never heard of or seen it.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#267341 - 06/02/06 07:15 PM
Wind

I cannot believe how much less Immodium I've used this month (since using Prodiem which contains calcium polycarbophil)! I cannot believe how much less gassy I am. I am surprised that this stuff is working so well, so far. I expected a nightmare and am experiencing the opposite.

The best part is that my guts don't have that dried out hard poop reaction to rebalancing themselves after a D attack. I have not had such a consistency of good bm's in a while.

Kate, IBS-D.

Kate, IBS-D.

#267375 - 06/03/06 06:46 AM
MamaCat

I'm giving it a try with the 2 tablet dose just once a day...today is the third day. My alternating C and D has been out of control now for the fourth week & I feel so discouraged! I am following the diet but hadn't tried fiber or other supplements yet. I am really hoping the Equalactin helps!

--------------------
IBS-D!

#267376 - 06/03/06 06:48 AM
MamaCat

I have never heard of Prodiem--is that over the counter?

It's great that you've discovered something that is helping you!! My D has been in a bad flare for weeks that is swinging back and forth to C. Immodium, even one dose, constipates me so badly and makes my colon spasm a lot. How is Prodiem different from Immodium?

--------------------
IBS-D!

#267380 - 06/03/06 07:08 AM
MamaCat

Wind thank you for the info about Prodiem...I wrote another note asking about it before seeing this one You and others gave me the courage to try the Equalactin!!

--------------------
IBS-D!

#267410 - 06/03/06 11:11 AM
Wind

Prodiem contains calcium polycarbophil, the "active" ingredient of Equalactin. Equalactin is not available in Canada, where I reside. I noticed Prodiem, recently, and decided to give it a trial run, based on the successful reviews of a few veterans of this site. Calcium polycarbophil is not one of those SFS that "ferment" and give mega-gas, etc. It helps regulate intestinal moisture, I suppose. Note, however, that it is not a stool softener/emollient. There are no bowel stimulating ingredients. It's a bulk forming SFS. Immodium basically stops D. Run a google on calcium polycarbophil to get a better understanding of it.

I guess, lately, my biggest IBS-issue has been intestinal moisture--either too much water or dried out "bunny" poops.
I experience a kind of "D-attack backlash." My intestines are literally "parched." Perhaps, this is why Prodiem is so effective for me. It's not constipating. It helps my guts absorb moisture when necessary to help keep things running smoothly. Please note that I do use Immodium when/if necessary. I note, however, that I hardly use it of late and I believe that using Prodiem, daily, has made the difference.

I am also highly intolerant/sensitive to "gum" types of fibers. Benefiber ultimately made things worse for me (guar gum). Foods which contain added "gums" cause me exceptional distress and give me gas/cramps which lead to D-attacks. Also, if I get a little too C, I get a huge D attack. Since using Prodiem, though, this has decreased significantly.

When stopping to "re-stock" at the drug store, I didn't buy any Immodium this week. I didn't buy any last week. I still have the box from last month and it's not even half empty! This is a HUGE change, for me! I simply bought more Prodiem and generic gas relief pills (I have asthma and tend to swallow a lot of air!). I am also consuming a diet high in SF, as recommended by Heather's site. I've been having solid but not hard bm's, consistently!

Sidenote: being accustomed to a lot of D, this took awhile to get used to on a regular basis

I'm significantly less gassy and hardly experience bloating--when I have alot of D, I get that famine-belly kind of bloating, i.e. a tummy full of water.

It's just nice to have things flowing rather smoothly and bounce back really fast.

Also, I don't have the situation where I have one more or less solid bm followed by a few really watery, mild D quasi-bm's.

Kate, IBS-D.

#267579 - 06/04/06 05:34 PM
MamaCat

Your post is so helpful w/ all of its information--I am having such a hard time lately and the Equalactin makes me feel so full, especially on my lower-left side. I woke up last night @ 4AM feeling awful and had D so badly it left me really fatigued and weak all day today.

How long did it take for you to get more stable with the Prodiem? Did you have constipation/ stomach pain with it also when you started?

--------------------
IBS-D!

#267717 - 06/05/06 11:37 AM
Wind

I'm a little mystified re: your sensation of lower left side
"fullness," MamaCat. I do not experience the same sensation.
Perhaps it is related to something other than Equalactin?

I started at the minimum dose of Prodiem and slowly increased.
I had cramping, but was more A versus C--experiencing a kind of warped "constipated-D." To clarify that sensation, it was like passing more water versus poop. This is disappearing. I identified some of the triggers and promptly eliminated them. I'm now going more or less on schedule. My cramping is significantly reduced--as long as I drink LOTS of water! Are you drinking enough plain water?
I eliminated cruciferous veggies--they seemed to be giving me the constipated D-attacks and raw lettuces and now all is more or less smooth sailing. Also, I discovered I was using a medication containing aluminum for a week, and eliminated that. I think that was the biggest problem. (It was an OTC gas pill called "Oval." I switched back to generic simethecone.) One bite, now of broccoli is my limit, now!

It took me about a week and a half before noticing desirable results.

Perhaps your lower left-side pain is gas? Try some yoga poses. THEY REALLY MAKE a fast difference--as well as peppermint and fennel teas.

Kate, IBS-D.

#268546 - 06/09/06 05:15 PM
MamaCat

Kate...thanks so much for your posts. Since March, the only beverage I drink on a regular basis is bottled water. For awhile I was drinking fitness water like Propel, but the added chemicals and ingredients bothered my stomach. Now I stick to Poland Spring. Occasionally I have been having 1/2 of rice milk with some Rice Chex. I was using soy milk but switched after some people said the rice is easier to digest. I was drinking chamomile tea but it bothered my belly--I can't do peppermint because I have GERD. Fun stuff!

I have had this full feeling in my left side for a long time--I feel discomfort sleeping on that side too. A colonoscopy and a sonogram on my ovaries didn't show anything abnormal. After your post about the yoga I went out to get a DVD to try so that I could get rid of gas pockets!

I've noticed that all this week, while taking the Equalactin, I've been more constipated and bloated than usual. I haven't been as crampy, though, which helps at work. But my belly is so full of air in the AM that I look like I am five months pregnant!

I don't cheat on the EFI diet--I eliminated all dairy, high fat, red meat...the works. I've been so discouraged that for the past 4 weeks I have felt ill w/ cramps or D. Since taking the Equalactin I've been more "bound up" but I don't know if that is normal or a good thing?

Sorry this note is so long!! I guess I just feel so confused and lost...

--------------------
IBS-D!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things new
      #268550 - 06/09/06 05:50 PM
Wind

MamaCat, it truly sounds like you're doing all the right things! Are you following Heather's diet? Also, are you getting enough IF? Yoga poses can relieve tons of gas/cramping/pressure.

One more thing: some people do not tolerate certain soluble fiber supplements very well. I've had a few disasterous experiences, in the past--that's why I was so leery to try the calcium polycarbophil. Psyllium made me look pregnant--it literally "gummed" up my upper g.i. tract and was rather painful. Benefiber gave me explosively gassy orange D later in the day. Inulin was rather embarrassing. Many people have found Heather's acacia fiber positive. Have you tried that?

Once more--it sounds like you're doing everything right. Perhaps it is the fiber supplement that is wrong for you. Perhaps stopping the Equalactin might show more benefits? I know that it takes those with IBS-C longer to stabilize with Heather's diet and that IF is important. Heck--I know that I feel bloated without enough IF! Note: make sure you follow safe guidelines with IF and have a strong SF base.

Oh, one more thing (& it may not apply)--I know that a fiber overdose (i.e. from food) can constipate me, sometimes.

Best of luck.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: It sounds like you're doing all the right things new
      #268788 - 06/11/06 10:29 AM
MamaCat

Thanks for the feedback Kate! I am following the diet and actually I'm looking forward to the summer vacation (I'm a teacher) so I can really concentrate on it and see what I may be eating that is causing my stomach to be a mess. I haven't yet taken calcium supplements, which I wanted to try also. The Equalactin that I am taking--well, I'm only on the second week and just taking it twice a day. I am trying to give it a good "college try" just to see if it will help with the D. Sometimes it seems like it is helping...I'm not sure!!

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me--it was really helpful and I started using a yoga DVD two days ago as a result

Have a great week!

Jennifer

--------------------
IBS-D!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3366 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review