All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
3 weeks on diet and trouble with introducing new foods.
      #264417 - 05/19/06 04:24 PM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

Hi,
I have had IBS-C and colonic inertia for 30 years. My syptoms are gas, bloating and constipation. I started the IBS diet three weeks ago. The first 1 1/2 weeks I felt the best I have ever felt. I only ate chicken, rice, rice cakes, puffed rice cereal (dry), avacodo and mango. I felt great with very little symptoms.
Then I started adding in string beans which was fine. Then, I added in asparagus which made be bloated and I am still seeing pieces 5 days later in my bowel movements. After the asparagus, I added a potatoe and I am not sure how I felt with that. I also added rice milk and Smart Beat Light non-dairy butter during this week. I just can't tell anymore. Last night, I added strawberries to my banana and rice milk drink and that was the worst. I woke up just bloated and gassy and feel so tired. What should I do? How can I tell what is bothering me, if I only saw a slight difference with some of the foods? How do I backtrack and figure things out? Also, why did foods like the strawberries bother me, if I ate it with the soluable fiber food. Please help. I am so so confused.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well.... new
      #264418 - 05/19/06 04:33 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

first things first...dont panic...although I am not the best person to inform you on this one as Im IBS-D Ive studied the diet for long enough and read enough peoples posts to be offer a bit of advice...though Im sure others will add to this. Firstly..are you writing down what you are eating ie keeping a diary....if not start now. It really helped me get stable...make sure you put down EVERYTHING that you eat and drink to start off with from portion sizes and everything and add the way you feel before during, after, the next day etc...it may seem extremely tedious but this way you can start to identify exactly how you react to foods and when. The portion control thing is also a huge factor...strawberries for example can be a huge no no for me if I have them in large amounts with no soluble fibre...but with a lot of soluble fibre and only a little strawberries Im fine. What Im saying is....the soluble fibre you had it with...did you have more of that than strawberries or vice versa? Generally I would say you need more soluble fibre in ratio to insoluble if that makes sense. This depends from person to person...you have to gradually try out how much works for you and what you can tolerate best. I know for example that there are a few ibs-d people on here whos only way of eating fruit and veg is to have a tiny amount(and Im talking like a tablespoon of brocolli) with their meals...may seem ridiculous but if thats the size they can handle with a meal then its better than having nothing and getting no nutrition. Also...hoe are you preparing foods?? Are you blending things? chopping things finely? Processing them? cooking them well enough?? All these things need trying and testing...and I guarantee it will help you identify some triggers...keep posting if you need any advice...and do it bit by bit....it can be so annoying in the beginning I know...but you'll get there in the end. Good luck...let us know how you get on....and welcome to the boards!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Well.... new
      #264421 - 05/19/06 04:51 PM
ccckkk

Reged: 11/06/03

Thank you for helping me.
As for the strawberry, banana and rice milk smoothie. I put it in the blender and before I drank it, I ate a rice cake.
The string beans I cooked well and cut them small. The asparagus I cut into about 1/2 inch pieces. Should I be putting these things in the blender or food processor? Or should I just cook or steam them and drink the water it produces and not the actual food? Then, again I blended the strawberries and that did not help. Thanks again, for answering me. I really appreciate any help. I have had this problems for so many years and it rules my life. I am 31 years old and cannot remember not having IBS. I am pretty much a homebody and do not socialize because of IBS.

I know how you feel.... new
      #264423 - 05/19/06 05:01 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I let ibs ruin some of my teenage years when it shouldnt...you DO NOT have to put up with feeling the way you do...I promise there are ways....stay positive...I would recomment the hypnotherapy program to you which you can buy on this site...it is very good for the social aspect of dealing with ibs and being able to live a normal life....you shouldnt let it rule your life...you can take control of it I promise you and if you keep posting we'll be here to support you all the way...trust me...just speaking to people who understand is the first step to getting better.

I think if your smoothie was quite a lot and you only had a rice cake before then that wasnt enough...I know I have had problems with smoothies before on an empty stomach....maybe reduce the amount of strawberries you put in....try different amounts....but if your tummy is bad at the moment maybe restrict yourself again for a few days to stabilise and then start adding again...cos if your tummy is already upset it could just be extra sensitive now to things it might not always be.

I would cut the asparagus REALLY finely....much finer than what you said...and yea you could try blending it...and the juice off it would be a great start...but you should be able to encorporate the actual vegetable....maybe its the asparagus...I know I cant handle that. Start with the diary and write everything down...keep us posted over the next couple of days/weeks about whats happening and we'll see if we can help.

In the mean time am sending lots of happy tummy thoughts your way!!!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 628 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 665

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review