All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cinnamon Supplement - possible irritant??
      #264299 - 05/19/06 06:34 AM

Unregistered

During the past couple of months I have lost the stability I had achieved with my ibs.d and am trying to work out why. Unfortunately, there are several candidates. I have had a diuretic added to my bp medications, I have increased my Acacia dose to 20g daily, Cinnamon supplement 1000mg daily (to try and help with my blood glucose levels - diagnosed diabeteic last August). Also since January I have started taking vitamins again - a multi, vit c (stopped that 10 days ago), vit e, garlic, calcium and cq10.

Any advice will be gratefull received.
Many thanks. Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cinnamon Supplement - possible irritant?? new
      #264314 - 05/19/06 08:03 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

You might want to try skipping the cinnamon supplement for a week or two and see how that affects you. If that doesn't make a difference, I would start it up again and try removing another supplement for a week or two, etc.

Also, if you have any new stress or are not getting enough sleep or exercise, you can become less stable. It's not always what you eat! But you can make sure that you're really following the diet (lots of SF, only safe IF, low fat, no triggers) no matter what's going on - it will only increase your stability.

--AC

#264402 - 05/19/06 03:00 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Actually, that's really interesting because I just read about someone having the same problem in a health advice column in the paper a couple weeks ago. This guy had started a cinnamon supplement to lower his blood sugar, and started getting diarrhea. So, if it could happen to a regular person, I would imagine it could worsen your IBS too. I'd try dropping it for a while. Also, cinnamon is a spice, so in large quantities I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same effects as spicy foods on those with IBS-D.

--------------------
Kim

#264456 - 05/20/06 02:58 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for that info Kim. I really am in a place I would rather not be in ibs terms at present!! The other thing I forgot to mention is that I am on Metformin for the diabetes and that is famous for its gastric side effects. However I did not get the d. with them and am now on a 2000mg dose with my evening meal but they are the slow release formula so they should not be the problem. I think I might ditch all my vitamins and leave them until I get stable again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review