All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
matzo ball soup....
      #264188 - 05/18/06 03:00 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I am planning to make this tomorrow! I bought a
matzo ball/soup mix just to get an idea as to what it is supposed to taste like.

I made my mazto balls in 1" size as the box directed but they were huge (golf ball size)! Would it be a big deal if I were to make the balls smaller? I am making it from scratch on Saturday.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: matzo ball soup.... new
      #264190 - 05/18/06 03:08 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

They don't need to be quite so big. It doesn't really matter the size...just not too small or they seem more chewy than fluffy....if that makes sense. Sometimes if I make it for my boys, I make a few small ones because for whatever reason, anything smaller than usual is cool.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Flipada new
      #264191 - 05/18/06 03:16 PM
nomorepooch

the ones I made yesterday had the texture of soggy bread. Of course I really don't know what texture they are supposed to be...I think I was expecting them to be a little more dumpling/gnocchi like.

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

Re: Flipada new
      #264232 - 05/18/06 05:28 PM
Flipada

nope...soggy's what you're looking for. definitely not dumpling type. if you followed a recipe or used a box, i'm sure you got it right. some of that stuff is an aquired taste.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Flipada new
      #264233 - 05/18/06 05:50 PM
nomorepooch

I am glad to know that I got it right then!

I was told by my friend to use club soda instead of water so I bought clun soda today. My friend is having her wisdom teeth out and I thought this might be something she could handle as she is recovering.

Thanks for the info...soon to have small and soggy matzo balls!

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

Re: Club Soda? new
      #264249 - 05/18/06 06:38 PM
Flipada

What did she tell you to use the club soda for? Hmmm, you've got me guessing on that one.

I absolutely love Matzoh balls. So do my kids. I grew up on them. With a Jewish dad, a Christian mom, Greek Orthodox step-dad, and family in the south...I like lots of foods!! Too bad I can't eat that many of them anymore.

--------------------
**Lauren**

#264252 - 05/18/06 06:42 PM
nomorepooch

Here is the recipe...I suppose this thread should have gone in the recipe board. Oh well... I suppose you can use matzo balls in any kind of soup. I am just not sure about the soggy...oh well, I won't know unless I try it!

Here's how you make good matzo balls: Go to the store and buy Manischewitz matzo meal. It has a recipe on the back for matzo balls. It's easy, but here are a few hints: Beat the eggs before you mix them w. the meal and the salt. Instead of water, use club soda--- it makes the matzo balls lighter. If you want to do so, you can use chicken fat instead of vegetable fat in the recipe. You could also use chicken broth instead of club soda--- but I like the club soda. After cooking the matzo balls (you boil them in water) put them in chicken soup.

Here's how you make a good Jewish chicken soup:

Take 1 or 2 whole chickens--- remove the innards. Keep the neck. Put the chickens in cold water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Crud from the chickens will boil up to the surface (brown foam). Skim the water until you have removed all the brown foam--- a fairly lengthy process. Once you have clean boiling water w. chicken in it, add carrots (I like to use baby carrots), parsley, garlic powder, an onion or two cut into quarters, and a parsnip (white carrot). cook the chickens until tender--- meat falling off the bone. Remove the chickens and take the skin off, remove the bones, and return the chicken to the water. Add some bouillion to give it a stronger flavor and to provide the saltiness. I use powdered bouillion but you can use cubes. If you don't add bouillion, the soup will be insipid--- not very flavorful. Boil/simmer for a couple of hours.

Cool and put in the refrig overnight. Skim the fat off the surface the next day. You have nice low calorie. low fat, high protein chicken soup. You can use the fat for the matzo balls, or you can buy chicken fat for the matzo balls, or you can use vegetable oil, which is what I do.

Add the matzo balls to the soup a couple of hours before serving. Simmer so that the matzo balls take on the flavor of the soup.

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

#264274 - 05/19/06 03:01 AM
Flipada

interesting. I've never heard that about Club Soda before. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Sounds like fun... new
      #264287 - 05/19/06 06:14 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

one warning- don't use boxed mixes for yourself unless you can handle MSG... make them from scratch- more eggg, less matsa meal=floater, more meal, less egg= sinker or hard one.. and I make them about 1/2" and cook them right in the soup...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Amie I was hoping you would weigh in... new
      #264288 - 05/19/06 06:19 AM
nomorepooch

I didn't even look for MSG and realized when I blew up like a blow fish...I think that is why I am still nauseated a couple of days later! I did buy the meal and will use that for this soup. I am really looking forward to it...I like to try new things.

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1876 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3830

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review