All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flattened Vill- Please Help!
      #263949 - 05/17/06 03:13 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

hello everyone. I just got my endoscopy reuslts from my Gastro, and he said that my villi were flattend. However, he said I tested negaitive for celiacs. Does anybody know why my villi would be flattened and what it means?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flattened Vill- Please Help! new
      #263955 - 05/17/06 03:55 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Well, when I had mine done my gastro told me that I had flattened villi, but not flat - i.e. between normal and coeliac. He told me this meant either I was likely to go on to develop coeliac (i.e. it showed a predispostition to it) or I had an immediate relation with coeliac. Well, I have a cousin with it, but he said that didn't count, so I'm none the wiser!

Neither do I know how accurate he was...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#264054 - 05/18/06 01:57 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Lyndeigh, I Googled flattened villa and found some info. Seems any inflammation can cause it. Bette

--------------------
(cool)

What I learned about this new
      #264062 - 05/18/06 05:01 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

A radical diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet has been scietifically proven to allow the villi time to heal themselves. My son was on this for 2 years and now can eat wheat and all the other grains just fine. I'd suggest you look this up, granted it is not an easy diet to be on but it is not life long either. I don't bring it up here much becasue this is Heather's site but Luke needed to be on this long enough for his gut to heal, he was so truly sick I was worried he'd end up on a feeding tube. It made all the difference for him. Flattened villi mean you are most likely having (or going to have) malabsorption issues.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#264304 - 05/19/06 07:06 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

But if you have flattened villi, does that mean that you all of your symptoms are not related to ibs, but possibly the flattened villi?
Does this mean that you have cealiac disease and not ibs, so you would have to go on a gluten-free diet? Or do you have both?
I'm wondering if I should get tested for this as well.

#310371 - 07/03/07 03:26 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hi, Ive been on the IBS diet for 6 years now and although it has helped, Ive still be experiecing terrible GI symptoms. Thinking back to the flattened villi, I still cant help but wonder if that means there is more than just IBS. I mean Ive had the celiacs test done on me twice now, and it has both came back negative, but still, I wonder if false negatives are possible and i really do have celiacs. I am really hesitant to go on a gluten free diet, because it is such a staple in my diet and I love bread. Anyone else with flattened villi out there with any suggestions??

#310375 - 07/03/07 04:02 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I am certainly no expert on this but I thought the typical thing would be to do the blood test first and if it turns out negative then the risk isn't big that you have any gluten problems. I thought the only way to know for sure was looking at the bowel villi in the small intestine. I have only had the blood tests done for gluten intolerance myself and they came back negative for me. But it still seems the docs thought that was enough to rule out any gluten problems.

I still think you have nothing to lose from trying a gluten free diet. Anyway, I thought celiac and gluten intolerance were not the exact same thing, I thought celiac was a more serious type of gluten intolerance, but like I said I am no expert.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310416 - 07/04/07 02:23 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

For what it's worth, I have also had 2 celiac tests, and both were negative for celiac and inflammation. But I had really painful arthritis developing over the last 2-3 years (I'm WAY too young for this stuff) and increasing, and I had bakery/sugar cravings daily, mood swings, the lot. So my Dr. told me she had several patients like me who benefitted from gluten-free diets. Try it.

I found the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and started following it, and making my own bread from almond flour. It's the best bread I've ever eaten, easy to make, and gluten and yeast and sugar-free, which means that it does not trigger cravings for more gluten and sugar.

http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes.html (gluten-free recipes)

Even though it's made from nuts, which is a "trigger food", it hasn't worsened my IBS. I immediately lost the muffintop around my middle, which I took as a good sign that an allergen has been omitted. The arthritis pain disappeared and has not returned.

But the IBS-C remained, so now I'm going to try combining the best of both these diets. I ordered Heather's book over a week ago from Amazon, and I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, the fiber and tea alone has resolved my pain and most of my bloat, at least this far.

So-here are the conclusions I've drawn from my experiences:

1) the celiac test is not always sensitive enough to detect a reaction to gluten, as my Dr. has suggested (and by the way it celiac disease and gluten intolerance ARE hereditary-they run in families-this from a rheumatologist!)

2) We IBS folk can have more than one thing going on, and congrats to us for figuring it out to the extent we have

3) I'm convinced that refined sugar and the foods that contain it are extremely poisonous, (more so in some people than in others), especially in large amounts, and are capable of causing and exacerbating inflammation of all types, and overgrowth of bacteria and yeasts (more inflammation, gas and toxicity). I'm beginning to feel like a different person having cut it out, and to deal with my IBS-C/malaise problems using a combination of remedies.

I'm waiting for Heather's books, and looking forward to establishing as simple a routine as possible so I can get my head out of my guts and think about something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

I hope this helps

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1593

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review