All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fructose Sensitive?
      #263631 - 05/16/06 09:02 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I have been stable for a while now -- but I have to admit I was one of those who tended to avoid fruits and veggies to remain safe. As I venture out into the world of those foods -- I keep getting into trouble every time I try to add fruits. I can get away with a tiny amount of cooked fruit (some kinds) but even then -- if I eat it the next day too -- or too much -- I get sick. I can't handle a raw apple (even without the skin) and applesauce is really only ok if it's in recipes... Honey will set me off to near immediate D. Heather's snack mix isn't even safe for me. I start nibbling and I feel my stomach rumbling... and you know what's coming.

I know thay have good vitamins for me... but I am not sure how or if I should add them since my body seems to not agree with them. Should I just keep going with the veggies and ignore fruits?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fructose Sensitive? new
      #263639 - 05/16/06 10:00 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Have you tried juices? 100% juice or do you have a juicer?
Some can handle the juice and not the whole fruit. If it's the fructose, I'm not sure on alternatives.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

The reason why I suspect it's the fructose is... new
      #263669 - 05/16/06 01:00 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

That honey is made up of quite a bit of fructose. I think they say that it is on average about 40% fructose -- then 30% glucose... then there are some other sugars in small amounts -- water...

I was trying to be a bit of a detective. Since nearly all fruits (even those that are soluble fiber) tend to bother me -- and honey bothers me too...

Re: The reason why I suspect it's the fructose is... new
      #264049 - 05/17/06 11:44 PM
bounce17

Reged: 11/27/04
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Here's a pretty good link I found about fructose malabsorbtion:
http://www.foodintol.com/sugar.asp#diff

I think I have this issue as well but not really sure...so after you cut out all fruits and veggies how long did it take before you stabilized? Can you safely eat regular table sugar and other natural sweeteners like rice syrup/molasses/chicory syrup etc.? Just wanting to compare notes! Hope the website info helps...I'm thinking of getting the breath test...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review