All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Milk and Breast Cancer
      #263552 - 05/15/06 06:23 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

I have a question/ quasi-rant! I had my family over for Mother's Day and after finding the soy milk in my fridge (I've dropped all dairy for the last three months after finding Heather's book), they spent a long time sharing info on the "clear" connections between soy milk and breast cancer.

So the rant part is how everyone in my family knows that I am on this IBS regimen and yet they still ask me if I want to have soda, milk, cheese, etc. and if I can "live" on "bland" food (even though I said 10000 times that I don't eat bland food). Their reaction to my soy milk made me frustrated but also concerned--I can't find any direct information between breast cancer and soy milk. I did a search here on the board but didn't see anything specific in reference to that topic.

Do any of you prefer to drink the rice milk instead of the soy? Is the rice considered "safer" for the body?

I'm confused!

--------------------
IBS-D!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Milk and Breast Cancer new
      #263584 - 05/15/06 10:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Half the people who talk about this think soy may cause breast cancer; the other half think soy may prevent breast cancer. The bottom line is that no one knows for sure. To me that says there probably isn't a strong effect either way. The general advice seems to be that if you like soy products, don't stop eating them for fear they'll hurt. If you don't like soy products, don't start eating them in hopes they'll help. In other words, soy is a food, not a medicine or a toxin.

Here's one Website that has a pretty clear explanation of where things now stand, but if you do a Google search on "soy breast cancer" (don't use the quotes) you'll get over 2 million hits so you can read up on it and make your own decision.

I have a history of breast cancer and of thyroid problems. I use rice milk - I don't drink milk or use it on cereal, so I only need it for cooking and there I don't taste a difference between rice milk and soy milk. I do use soy ice cream and soy sour cream because I prefer them to the rice alternatives and don't consume a lot of them.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#263586 - 05/16/06 01:19 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Mamacat, There are no clear conclusions about soy products and cancer. I have breast cancer (estrogen dependant)that has spread twice and I was eating soy nuts and my oncologist said to eat anything I wanted. Like everything in life: moderation. I like the rice milk because it seems to be more easily digested. My husband doesn't like tofu and we choose not to eat those soy products, but not because they are not healthy. Bette

--------------------
(cool)

#263945 - 05/17/06 03:02 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Thank you both for the helpful comments about the soy milk/ breast cancer connection. I don't drink a lot of the soy milk but I am new to Heather's eating plan so I think I'm still a novice in many ways! I've found a lot of conflicting information about the soy-cancer relationship...I guess I will keep drinking my Silk Vanilla!

Jennifer

--------------------
IBS-D!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 579 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review