All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy Milk Brands -- Can I get some input??
      #263149 - 05/12/06 05:07 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

I have tried Silk Vanilla, Silk Original and 8th Continent Fat Free Vanilla. The Silk V is good, but has 3 or so fat grams. I believe the Original is about the same. I tried the 8th C FF Van and it is WAY sweet. Can I get some more input on Reg. vs Fat Free for different brands for you all? I'd like to go Fat Free but can stand too much cane juice.

Thanks!!
Krista

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Milk Brands -- Can I get some input?? new
      #263181 - 05/13/06 05:56 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi, well not sure if I'm going to be of any help cos I'm in he uk I use the supermarkets' own brand unsweetened soya milk I don't know what the fat content is but it tastes nice
also I use alpro soya for substitutes like yogurt , cream and custard
Hope this helps

#263232 - 05/13/06 12:58 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

We don't have much choice here, in a small city. I use Soy Silk reg or vanilla. I've tried Soy Dream and all of the others available here. The Silk is my fav, but yes, I do find it sweet too. The regular isn't bad though I always add Hersey's to it!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#263239 - 05/13/06 01:32 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I only tolerate "So Nice" natural.

It contains: filtered water, organic whole soybeans. I like it because it does not have added salt, sugars, and flavour enhancers such as carrageenan. (80 calories/250ml. serving; 4g fat; 3g carbs; 1g sugars; 7g protein; 1g fiber)

Kate, IBS-D.

#263353 - 05/14/06 03:40 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you tried Silk Vanilla Light? It's really tasty, and only 2 grams of fat in a cupful. Silk Chocolate Light is the same, and is my current fave way to get calcium.

--AC

#263446 - 05/15/06 09:15 AM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

i drink vitasoy light vanilla...its not too sweet but still has the vanilla taste. its low in fat and very low in calories. i use it with cereal, baking, anything. i love it!

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

#263503 - 05/15/06 01:16 PM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

Personally I love the 8th Continent Light Vanilla. It only has 1 gram of fat for 8 oz., so if very low in fat. I think the FF may be sweeter than the light because of what they have to do to make it FF....my suggestion would be to try the light vanilla. The light chocolate is sooooo good too!

Did you guys have to work up to a full cup? new
      #263504 - 05/15/06 01:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Since it's a bean product?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Did you guys have to work up to a full cup? new
      #263553 - 05/15/06 06:24 PM
Wind

Yes, I had to re-familiarize myself with soy milk. (I was a soy formula baby). It took a few weeks of small doses and using it before I actually dared to drink any straight up. I had such nasty previous experiences with drinking soy milk, until I tried the natural stuff--no funny additives, including vitamins, minerals & flavour enhancers. The real, unadulterated stuff. Most mainstream soy milk products will give me an attack.

I make my own almond milk, as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

#263556 - 05/15/06 06:31 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

how on earth do you make your own milk? I'm intrigued...as I cannot find one that is GF and carrageenen free.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#263573 - 05/15/06 09:07 PM
Wind

I purchase my soy milk--SO NICE, natural.

There are tons of almond milk recipes online. It's just pure water and steeped raw almonds. I'll post the recipe on the recipe board. I've made it with hemp, and cashews as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (05/15/06 09:19 PM)

Re: Soy Milk Brands -- Feedback and Working up to a cup new
      #263661 - 05/16/06 12:39 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

I generally do not drink a cup of soy by itself as, yes, it can cause gas for me. I use it primarily in my cold cereals, then drink what's left; which is not usually a cups worth. However!! If I drink about .5c slowly - sipping at it for a few minutes - and add my Benefiber, I usually do ok with MINIMAL gas.

Thank you for the feedback on the diff. Light varieties of soy milk. I will continue to work my way through the brands until I find just the right one. I do like the Silk and may try the Light version next.

Thanks again! Cheers!

Re: Soy Milk Brands & gas new
      #263744 - 05/16/06 07:04 PM
Wind

I know that "gas" is a major issue with soy milk experiences. In my experience (and I'm sure I've tried all brands available in Canada), most of the gas is caused by the additives--sugars and flavour enhancers.

Kate, IBS-D.

#263775 - 05/16/06 07:54 PM
nanajoan

Reged: 05/16/06

Hi,
I'm new to the Board. Soy has never worked for me, so I was thrilled to find rice milk. It is fresher tasting than Soy which can be so heavy and beanish. I use either Nature's Promise brand from Stop and Shop or Rice Dream brand. Both are delicious. I have baked with rice milk (I make Heather's pumpkin apple spice bread all the time for my Sunday school group)and use it in puddings. It's fabulous. Soy has such a soy taste - I just can't stand it. Rice milk tastes more like milk. It's great on cereal too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5354 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2312

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review