All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Please help me find the problem food...if it is food
      #262932 - 05/11/06 07:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been really, really scared of eating any sort of new foods. I usually eat the same things for breakfast and lunch everyday. I told myself I need to try and expand my diet...so I've been adding more foods. Unfortunately, this has been the most painful week of my life! And the BMs are all screwed up......incomplete, painful BMs all day. Messy and yucky.

This is what I've tried so far: sushi (with avocado and raw cucumber (unpeeled seedless...not that much), ground walnuts in my baked appplesauce bread (less than 1/4 cup in the whole loaf of 16 pieces), blueberry smoothies (with a little rice dream which contains a tiny amount of gluten which I don't usually eat, banana and mango added), Trader Joes Blue Corn Chips, dried apricots one day...the pain is still going on a week later so I doubt it's totally the apricots. I also eat GF chocolate brownies which contain chocolate chunks...but people on the boards thought the ingredients were safe...and I have been eating these for a few months now without this severe pain.

Any ideas? Is it any of the above? All of the above? Not the food at all? A combination of anything?

I was so proud about facing the fear and trying to eat more foods...and my reward is the worst pain ever. I'm more afraid than ever to experiment or continue to eat any of these foods.

Is it all in my head...or the food? Or the ginger tea?

Please help, guys! What should I do with my diet? Sidenote (I've also tried to reduce my triphala a bit too...so is that could be something to consider as well).

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help me find the problem food...if it is food new
      #262949 - 05/11/06 07:24 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I'm scared of food too!! But I do have to say, if I were to add in foods, it wouldn't be avocados (sushi is also fatty, depending on what you get... it tends to make me very bloated if i eat too much, although its been a few months since i've had any) or walnuts. Bananas and mangos should be ok. Is your blueberry smoothie just blueberry or does it have other things? I usually make smoothies with bananas and strawberries, some tofu (protein, yum), and oj and it sits ok with my tummy.

hope this helps a little bit.
-becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Re: Please help me find the problem food...if it is food new
      #262958 - 05/11/06 07:56 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Beth,

It may just be a case of too much too soon if you know what I mean. Maybe just trying to incorporate one new food each week. What if you try eating your safe foods and then incorporate one new food and see how that goes for the week. Then if it is ok the next week you can continue eating your safe foods and try another one and see what happens. I think that is the easiest way to tell what's affecting you food wise. I don't have IBS but I do have UC and although I'm stable on meds I still have foods that don't agree with me. I can't comment on the tea b/c I've never tried ginger tea but I herbal tea doesn't agree with me.

Hope this helps.
Jenn

What Jenn said... new
      #262968 - 05/11/06 09:05 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

if you introduce several things at once there is no way you are going to know what may be causing issues.

Dried apricots cause me terrible gas issues...I don't eat them even though I am stable.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Beth - I'm SO proud of you!!!!! new
      #262999 - 05/12/06 05:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think what the others are saying could be true. Too much too soon. I like Jen's idea of one new food a week. You'll probably have to try it several times to see if it is REALLY a no-no for you. I find when I first introduce something, that isn't necessarily the same reaction I'll have eating it again. Sorta like your tummy gets used to something.
Build your confidence. Try the new food of the week in very small quantities after a stable SF. Then each time increase the amount, if you can, depending on your body's reaction. If it didn't go great, try the same amount again, or less. Play with it. Take your time. You have all the time in the world.
Again - I am so proud, sweetie! I know how hard it is to try new things, especially when terrible pain may be the result. Just think of it as an OCD exposure response. Start small, and work away slowly. Build your confidence as you go.
Love and hugs,
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

The sushi I'm eating... new
      #263017 - 05/12/06 07:05 AM
Augie

isn't fattening at all...just rice, seaweed, avocado (about 1/8, and some cucumber). And I thought the nuts would be okay since it was only 1/4 cup spread out over 16 pieces with applesauce/rice flour base.

My blueberry smoothie was, indeed, combined with some mango and banana (both are SF).

--------------------
~ Beth

Which one do you think I should keep to start? new
      #263018 - 05/12/06 07:07 AM
Augie

And after a week, should I remove the new food completely while adding in another?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth - I'm SO proud of you!!!!! new
      #263020 - 05/12/06 07:12 AM
Augie

Quote:

If it didn't go great, try the same amount again, or less.

So, don't decrease the food even if I had bad pains that night? Is it okay to have the "new food" everyday? I ate sushi 3 days in a row. I have the blueberry smoothie every other day. And I ate the bread with tiny amounts of nuts every night for a snack. It was after I was already in pain...so is that still suspect?

Do you see any food I am eating that is a red flag to try last, or not at all?

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Rachel new
      #263022 - 05/12/06 07:15 AM
Augie

Hmmm, I only had the dry fruit one day (5 dried apricots) and the pain was bad for the entire week.

I hate this stupid guessing game. I'm just really tired of it all. I'm tired of fighting and guessing and being afraid of foods and then getting even more problems when I do venture out. But right now, my body is very malnourished from lack of variety I need. Plus, I know it's important to rotate foods so you don't become intolerant of the ones you can eat with less painful consequences.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Rachel new
      #263044 - 05/12/06 08:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I know I couldn't tolerate that much fruit, even if its soluble or not. Maybe you need to add some more "carb" type things, like bakes potato, pasta and more rice. As I mentioned before, too much IF makes my poo's messy and makes me a very stinky, gassy girl!

I think adding one food a week is a great idea. If you aren't any worse for wear, sort to speak, than keep the food and add try adding another one the following week.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review