All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Kate new
      #263264 - 05/13/06 05:44 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

Broccoli, even without Beano, doesn't give me a gas attack, anymore!

Yeah, Kate! That's excellent progress you've made! And you're right about taking baby steps. Good advice as always.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kate new
      #263270 - 05/13/06 06:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's weird, but with enough positive exposure to certain foods, one's own body becomes efficient at digesting it. Broccoli is one example. Legumes can also be challenging, initially.

I think that following Heather's advice about safe fruit/veggie (IF) consumption makes the biggest positive impact. I've stopped using Beano as a crutch without nasty effects. I'm learning to trust my body to "figure it out."

A sense of humour is essential.

However, I must re-iterate, that following Heather's advice about challenging foods and their preparation makes the difference.

Try "just one bite." If you feel like 2 or 3, great--if not, no pressure. (Hehe, my new food for this week is organic kale.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Marci new
      #263272 - 05/13/06 06:49 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Marci, I'm turning into "a gorilla in the mist."

Yes, I think that all the legumes are making the difference. Plant food/vegetable protein is EASILY DIGESTIBLE and full of B vitamins, iron, calcium, anti-oxidants that I believe are more easily accessible to my immuno-suppressed body.

Beans certainly are magickal foods. Seriously, I think it is because the nutrients are so easily absorbable and digestible. Also, and this is "way out there," but my soul had issues with animal foods and they gave me rude tummy aches and heartburn. So, I'm eating with soul and giving my body nutritional information that it can process and quickly assimilate. Most of the stuff I eat you could feed an infant with allergies--just very well food processed.

I've stopped being obsessive about food processing, lately, too. My teeth want to chew & certain foods actually taste much better when I go through the mouth aspect of digestion, i.e. carrots, green beans, etc. If, however, I get tense, it will go in the food processor. I know, if I'm stressed out I'll have a bad gas attack and, uh, I like stinky foods--I think it's a part of being an "Earth Girl."

Yes, the nutrients in plant protein are more easily digestible (and colourful, and interesting!).

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Beth - I'm SO proud of you!!!!! new
      #263303 - 05/14/06 06:07 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I said have the same amount again OR LESS. Beth, YOU are in control of all this, hon. You have to do what you feel is best. Every day, every other day, it's entirely up to you. I was just trying to suggest don't give up the very first time. Re think it, and try again in whatever way you feel is appropriate.
I'm sorry you're losing weight again. Is there something you know you CAN eat with no problem? If so, I would be eating it constantly throughout the day. Give yourself a good, safe SF base and keep it going.
I'm so sorry that you're in such pain, hon. I wish with all my heart I could take it away for you.
Love and hugs, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Thank you Maria! new
      #263352 - 05/14/06 03:38 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Beth, consider taking the El or Metra! There's a bunch of El stations with $1.50 parking, and I swear it's the most stress-free way to travel downtown. Once you've done it once or twice, you will just waltz on board with a book or a crossword puzzle, sit down, and relax for 20-30 minutes.

I go downtown every day on the El, and when I'm reading a great book, my commutes are the best part of the day.

--AC

Re: Thanks Gracie... new
      #263358 - 05/14/06 04:01 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi Beth,

I think I would start off with the smoothie. You have the banana as a good SF base, then add a little of only 1 other fruit. Try it a few times a week and see how you feel. After a couple of weeks, then you might want to add something new, or increase the fruit a little more.

HTH

Did you start out with... new
      #263392 - 05/15/06 06:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...just little amounts of beans (like 1 T) and then increase over that month to 1/2 cup or something like that?

Thanks for all your support. This is such a puzzle...so hard.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: You're welcome, Beth. new
      #263396 - 05/15/06 06:36 AM
Augie

Just to clarify...I don't use the chips as the SF base for apricots...sorry for the misunderstanding. I usually eat the apricots after 1/2 dose Citrucel, 1/2 piece of white rice bread, one whole piece of brown rice bread (with turkey on each), and a serving of cooked zucchini. Maybe that isn't enough SF?

I think your approach to adding new foods (not obsessing over it, just eating what you're in the mood for) has probably helped reduce your anxiety. That is good!

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to eat some banana except in a smoothie. I mean, the chemical components would be the same and there is no skin. How often do you eat the smoothie ? Maybe it only has a little banana in it? Are you sure this is the case? BTW, what's in the Protein Berry Pizazz because it sounds delicious!

I can't wait until nectarines and plums come back in season! Let me know how it goes eating these fresh with the peels and not cooking and paring them! That's what I hope to do again too! I'm still leery about apple peels, though.

I think about posting my foods on the fitness board, but it doesn't seem like the feedback is based on whether the meals are safe. It seems mostly for weight loss/exercise encouragement. Plus, yep, I'm scared of the obsessing again...but then again, I'm more obsessed not knowing and it would be very helpful if people were willing to guide me. I wouldn't feel so alone and in the dark with this guessing game.

thanks again, Maria!

--------------------
~ Beth

I'll have to look into this.
      #263399 - 05/15/06 06:41 AM
Augie

I did initially, but I think it ended up being where I had to drive to the El, transfer to another El, transfer to a bus, then walk. I am not Chicago "savy" at all! I still get lost every single time I go and every single time I try to get home. And the other drivers aren't too sympathetic to a lost driver on Michigan Avenue!

--------------------
~ Beth

But what if the bananas....
      #263400 - 05/15/06 06:42 AM
Augie

...are the problem?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review