All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What did I do wrong?!
      #262719 - 05/10/06 02:17 PM
Ravyn

Reged: 02/06/06
Loc: New Jersey

OK.... a warning to the guys out there....this is a PMS-related question. A warning to the queased....I'll be a little graphic about my poo. That having been said....here we go....

I know my IBS flares up when I have my period, so the past couple of times, I have been very careful about what I eat. I've basically followed the "How To Break The Cycle" guidelines. I usually get my period on a Wednesday or Thursday, so on Tuesday, I started the diet (with being slightly careful beforehand). Here's what I ate:

Breakfast- a bowl of Special K with Rice Dream
Lunch- Oatmeal (I usually eat a flavored one)
Dinner- Plain pasta with chicken (I ordered it plain; I think they may have slightly seasoned it with pepper, but not very much)
Snacks- pretzels or rice cakes

That's all I ate for three days. I was still a bit constipated (as always) and was in the bathroom for three hours (as always). I go a little, then nothing, then some more, etc. I got up and walked around once or twice, and it helped a little. I also used a heating pad-type thing (one you put in the microwave).

Here's the problem....Saturday morning (of course, since I had to be somewhere), I think I set a personal record. I was in the bathroom for FIVE HOURS! I did the same thing as the previous days. Not much happened. Now, I know I was a little excited about where I was going, but I didn't think I was THAT excited! I mean, I didn't feel anxious or worked up. Anyway, at about the three-and-a-half-hour mark, all of a sudden, I had loose stools. It wasn't exactly diarrhea. It piled up nicely in the bottom as opposed to floating around, but it was still loose. I had this for a little while. I still felt uncomfortable for a few hours afterwards. I didn't have any problems, but I felt like I might. I did try to go, but nothing (which usually happens to me after I've had loose stools or full-on diarrhea, sometimes for just that day, sometimes for one or two days, regardless of whether or not I have my period). So.....what happened??!! What did I do wrong??!! HELP!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What did I do wrong?! new
      #262720 - 05/10/06 02:27 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Well, Special K contains dairy (whey). It's enough to trigger an attack in me. Also, what kind of oatmeal are you eating? Which flavor, brand, etc? Some of the flavored instant oatmeals contain dairy or sorbitol.

How was the chicken prepared for your pasta? Was it grilled or sauteed? I know at certain restaurants it's not enough to order something "plain" - I'll have to be more specific: "No butter or dairy, only a little oil."

I tend to have D when I'm PMSing as well, so usually the a day or two before my period starts. You could take 1/2 Imodium as a preventive, but if you're already dealing with constipation that's probably not a good idea.

Possibly nothing new
      #262723 - 05/10/06 02:42 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

regardless of how safe I eat I cannot control my IBS when I have my period, it's always D inclined then and nothing really helps except imodium.

The only possible wrong thing is the seasoning on the chicken or it having been cooked in butter but I reckon the problem is the P not the food. Sorry not to be able to help you more.

--------------------
S.

Re: Possibly nothing new
      #262749 - 05/10/06 06:12 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I agree with Cailin, no matter how safe I eat I am prone to D and IBS problems when I have my period. It could have been something you ate, or it could have just been your hormones playing a trick on you. So sorry, I feel your pain. Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Special K new
      #262750 - 05/10/06 06:32 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Also contains wheat germ and HFCS. Here's the link. Special K

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Possibly nothing new
      #262857 - 05/11/06 11:24 AM
Ravyn

Reged: 02/06/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks folks! I didn't really think about the Special K, but I generally don't have a dairy problem (I do take Lactaid when I have a lot of dairy, just as a precaution), and I also eat it when I don't have my period, and I'm fine. The chicken was grilled, and wasn't at all greasy. I did say "no garlic, no oil. no nothing." It tasted like they paid attention, other than the pepper, which also doesn't usually bother me.

The oatmeal is Quaker Instant (it's easier since I eat it at work). It was either Maple & Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Roll or Cinnamon Bun. I stay away from the Apple & Cinnamon when I have my period. Again, I eat this at other times with no problem.

I forgot to mention that I take Benefiber pills (four twice a day with meals) and powder at night. I do the chewables at night when I don't have my period.

I think it was just my hormones. My gynecologist says she has MAJOR gas when she has her period, which I have also, but that there's not much to do about it. I guess I just have to continue to deal. I just wanted some more opinions. Thanks guys!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1426

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review