All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is it about coffee that makes it such a trigger?
      #262238 - 05/08/06 07:21 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

There are times I can tolerate one cup and I'm fine. (I tend towards IBS-D) and other times it sends me running to the bathroom. I find when I wnat to go, it's a great way to make that happen. I normally don't drink the stuff, stick to herbal teas but sometimes just have to have the "fix".

I know it doesn't matter if it's decaf or not, so is it the acid in it? The bean itself? Just curious.
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is it about coffee that makes it such a trigger? new
      #262242 - 05/08/06 07:30 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Have you read through all Heather's information on the diet link?

Look for coffee under her trigger foods. Trigger foods It explains why foods are triggers.

HTH. The website offers so much information outside of the message board!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#262276 - 05/08/06 08:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

According to Heather, there's an enzyme in it. My guess would be that the less food you have in your stomach, the more it bothers you.

And - nag, nag, nag - I know what you mean about using it when you want to go, but just remember you're working against the whole "soothe the colon" EFI approach.

Sigh. My family's after-Thanksgiving-dinner drink of choice is regular coffee with a shot of Kahlua and a generous dollop of whipped cream - three triggers in one. Too bad we couldn't figure out a way to get egg yolks in there, too.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#262281 - 05/08/06 08:32 AM
Daphne

Reged: 05/08/06

Hi there,

I just posted myself a message about how coffee is beneficial to me. Helps me against bloating and swelling up etc. Had not seen your message though.

Daphne

Coffee is not a trigger for everyone.... new
      #262297 - 05/08/06 10:28 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

most people yes. I drink two cups a day and have no problems of course I use my Stevia-plus which helps to keep things "moving".

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#262365 - 05/08/06 07:26 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

If I have caffeine in any form I am bloated and uncomfortable. I was accidentily given regular tea instead of decaffienated once and I had to call into work. I couldn't even stand sitting down my stomach was so distended and uncomfortable. So to answer your question, for me the caffeine in coffee is the trigger.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Coffee is not a trigger for everyone.... new
      #262384 - 05/09/06 03:14 AM

Unregistered

nomorepooch

Are you saying that the Stevia-Plus makes you to the toilet?
I am presently going through a very rough patch after being very stable for sometime and a few days ago I started using Stevia on my porridge and I would say my ibs.d has been much worse. Could it be the Stevia???
As a recently diagnosed diabetic I thought this would be the answer to sweetening my porridge but now I don't know!!
All comments appreciated.
Judith

#262385 - 05/09/06 03:52 AM
AlyssaKaye2

Reged: 04/14/06

Ah yes, I know...

I'm stable, happily so--still following the diet, fudging a little.

But....I had so much work to get done on Sunday, I thought I would walk to the coffee shop and get tea and a bagel for breakfast and get to work, early early in the morning. Well, "the usual" became a latte and a chocolate crossaint (NO IDEA what I was thinking there....). Yeah. Highly efficient working became "how much work can you get done before your run back to the toilet" and "It's not too weird to take paperwork in a public toilet, is it?"

*sigh*

Like others have said before, I believe Heather says it is an enzyme. I'd love to know the actual physiological mechanism though....Anyone?

Just sympathizing. Coffee is most definitely my strongest and most "immediate" trigger.

Rosie new
      #262396 - 05/09/06 05:38 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I have always been a "C" and for a time a very miserable "C". I started using Stevia-Plus and found that it made me "go".

This was quite by accident as I went on a business trip, none of the food served was safe...I ate it anyway, went to the bathroom 2 or 3 times a day (poo...unheard of for me). I didn't give it much thought until a year later when I went on another trip, ate with wild abandon, used my Stevia-Plus in my tea and again went to the bathroom several times a day.

Not sure that Stevia-Plus would be of benefit to someone with "D" considering the way it helped me. Use the Stevia without the "plus" and see if that helps you.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1229

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review