All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Question of the day...Things you used to be able to eat but no longer can....(m)
      #2622 - 03/12/03 01:56 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

What are some things that you used to be able to eat but no longer can that you really miss eating?

For me it is Long John Silver's Fish & Chicken Platter. I loved Long John Silver's. But I know if I ate it now I'd pay for it in the bathroom for days! I also miss an ice-cold glass of skim milk, hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill in the summer time, etc., etc.

Sometimes I wish I could eat anything without it bothering me like my husband can.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question of the day...Things you used to be able to eat but no longer can....(m) new
      #2623 - 03/12/03 02:01 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I miss real ice cream, no bake jello cheescake, sour cream and onion chips, hotdogs, and I miss the really convient foods. I really miss Red Lobster shrimp scampi and cheese biscuits. Of course all these don't help you lose weight so I am better of. And there are better options now for most of these foods I miss.

Re: Question of the day...Things you used to be able to eat but no longer can....(m) new
      #2626 - 03/12/03 03:06 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I was just saying today that I wish I could go to Jack Astor's and have the garlic loaf with cheese and the parmesan chicken bowtie pasta and then Turtle Cheese cake for dessert!!!!!!!

#2627 - 03/12/03 03:36 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

the thing i miss the most is a hot and spicy taco, with extra cheese lettuce tomato and lots, lots of hot sauce. *sigh* i used to eat 3 of them in one sitting, and now i cant even eat a half without getting sick

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: soy ice creams new
      #2629 - 03/12/03 04:11 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've tried many of the soy ice creams and there are some really great choices out there. Rice Dream has a crystal-y texture I don't care for, but if you can't have soy it's at least a choice. Tofutti puts some ingredients in their ice cream that aren't the healthiest, but that doesn't mean the ice cream doesn't taste good. I like Soy Delicious and I really like WholeSoy Glace, but since both are high in fat, my absolute favorite is WholeSoy Frozen Cultured Soy (think soy frozen yogurt)--it's utterly convincing AND low in fat! The only one I haven't tried is Soy Dream--I'm still waiting for it to go on sale.

Also, Edy's and Haagen-Dazs both make sorbets. Just be careful of Edy's coconut sorbet, it actually contains dairy (which "sorbet" is not supposed to do), and also be careful of eating too much fruit in the form of sorbet, which I've done before.

Just trying to cheer up those who miss ice cream.

#2632 - 03/12/03 05:33 PM
Mike

Reged: 03/05/03
Loc: Canada

BIGMACS at least 2,For me.

#2635 - 03/12/03 05:47 PM
torbetta

I have had the Soy Delisous and it is good. It just doesn't always fit into my budget and the grocery store near me doesn't carry it. I have to drive 45 min. to get it. I have an ice cream maker but it takes a bit of effort to make.

#2639 - 03/12/03 06:07 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Jersey corn, diner coffee, mozzarella sticks, poppers, cheesesteaks, cheesesteak hoagies, bloomin onions, big glass of cold REAL milk, wings, beer, real pepperoni, real cheese, etc, etc!

And to top it off, I think the thing I miss the most is the corn. It sucks being from Jersey & not having Jersey corn! I remember I used to stop at the stand on the way home and pick up a couple of ears, come home, & have that with a side of asparagus for dinner! Those were the days....*sigh*

#2640 - 03/12/03 06:38 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

I miss pizza with the 'lot'. I used to make the most divine home made one and I do make a good IBS one but some days I really crave the other!

Re: Yatala Pies new
      #2644 - 03/12/03 10:51 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

In Birsbane Australia we have this fantastic pie shop called Yatala Pies. They are sooooo delicious. I miss them so much. The pastry is to die for and they have heaps of different fillings then they mash potato and peas to put under the "lid" of your pie. That is probably my most missed item.

Other than that I miss red wine, soft drink, cheesecake and chocolate.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2650 - 03/13/03 01:04 AM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

Oh no, I'm getting hungry now! And I'm craving stuff!!! LOL
Okay, some stuff I can still eat, like pizza. I found, for me, that if I blot it with a napkin (the grease on top), before I eat it, it doesn't bother me too much! Back in January, I was working across the street from my friend who worked at the pizza place, and every other day for lunch, I'd go over there and get pizza! I had no problems with it at all! I bet I would now tho, since I've been eating better. I've noticed that since I've been on Heather's diet, I have problems with foods that I used to NOT have problems with. How odd.

So what I miss the most is: Grilled cheese!!!!! OMG!! I lived on cheese sandwiches!!! I miss REAL milk, Burger King cheeseburgers, I can't think.....lots of stuff. I can't remember right now, so I may as well not worry about it, otherwise I'm gonna start craving it. I already forgot what you all put on your lists...it was making me hungry big time!! Thats not good. If I don't think about it, I'm better off, and even if I DO think about it, I'm better off anyways! That stuff is sooo bad for you!!!!

Soy Delicious is awesome!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! For me, it tastes BETTER than reg. ice cream!!! I heard once (could be wrong, but I highly doubt it) that ppl that have soy in their diets live longer. Also, for ppl that miss sour cream N onion chips, Heather says in her book(s) that we can have Baked chips, like Lays. Lays makes baked sour cream n onion. Not sure if we can have that specific kind...Heather? What do you think???

Anyways, but thats what I miss the most: Grilled cheese with REAL cheese, and CHEESE. I used to eat slices of it for a snack! Oh!! And cheddar cheese!!! I mean, I could have these trigger foods, but then I have to pay the consequences!!!

#2658 - 03/13/03 03:43 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

There are many - but I think the big ones are

-Starbucks ANYTHING
-Buffalo Wings
-Poutine (Canadian speciality: french fries covered in cheese curd then dump lots of beef gravy over top which melts the cheese into a yummy stringy mess - then I squeeze ketchup over that . . . come to think of it, I bet my arteries are grateful I've cut that one out of my diet)
-Coca-Cola (I was such a junkie! That stuff was like liquid gold to my body!) [now its like pouring ex-lax down my throat!]

...but you know, I don't miss this stuff as much I thought I would!

#2675 - 03/13/03 06:50 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

Fish and chips

Flourless choc cake

SIGH!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#2676 - 03/13/03 07:01 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I miss Grilled Cheese, Taco Time, Burger King Poutine, McDonalds Western Omlette Bagel, Cream of Brocolli Cheddar Soup, Harvey's Burger, BBQ'd Kabobs, Steaks.

I also miss sour cream, butter etc.

I miss everything, come to think of it LOL

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#2678 - 03/13/03 07:13 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

The one thing I miss the absolute most is fettucine alfredo. I used to make the best homemade fettucine. It is no wonder I started having sooooooooo many problems. When my husband and I first got married I was making it at least once a week. Then you have leftovers that only I would eat.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#2683 - 03/13/03 07:53 AM
torbetta

check the recipe exchange. Heather posted a link for an alfredo sauce with tofu and I made it the other night and it was so good.

#2695 - 03/13/03 08:24 AM
lovejoy_22

Thanks! I printed the recipe yesterday and am going to try it this weekend.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#2698 - 03/13/03 08:32 AM
torbetta

Let me know what you think of it. I didn't have any soy parm. cheese and it was fine without it. I added shrimp to it. Yum.

#2707 - 03/13/03 10:32 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Zaftig1 - okay Zaftig1--are you Jewish like me? Because Zaftig is a Jewish word meaning "pleasingly plump" (like me, too!!!)

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2709 - 03/13/03 10:42 AM
SharonMello

Oh, Mags, you're bringing back so many memories. I used to live in NJ about 25 years ago and the white corn (Country Gentleman I believe it was called) and especially the tomatoes were TOTALLY RAD or whatever the kids are saying these days. I can't keep up. Now that I live in California, we can get corn on the cob in the summer that comes from down by the Delta and it's pretty darn close to the NJ stuff. The asparagus we get here is pretty good, too. We can have asparagus as long as it's cooked til it's soft and pureed. I had some the other night and made it in the microwave. I thought it was done enough but it wasn't. Boy, did it give me gas. If I cook it in water on the stove til it's soft mushy, it doesn't bother me. But, that's me.

If I ever went back to NJ (haven't been in about 13 years), I would go in the summer (yukky humidity) for the corn and asparagus (not to mention cheesesteak hoagies...Oh, HOW I MISS THIS STUFF). I remember the first year I was in California, I asked my Mom to mail me some tomatoes from her garden...AND SHE DID. She picked them on the green side and shipped 'em out. What a treat. The tomatoes we get here are pretty poor--and that's putting it mildly. I planted an Early Girl last year in a huge crock on my back deck. We had some pretty good tomatoes, too.

Oh well, so much for memories.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2712 - 03/13/03 10:58 AM
biscrandi

Reged: 03/13/03
Loc: Fishers, Indiana

I have IBS and mine has been getting more sensitive. Before I could eat raw veggies. But this week I have done that and have been sick from it. This is a disease or syndrome is driving me crazy! I have had this for 4 years now, but I don't think you EVER get use to it. I am tired of getting my kids one meal at a fast food place and then coming home to have to make a seperate meal just for me. I am feeling I might as well not eat. Then there is nothing to get sick from.
Sorry for the blah blah blah. But it has been a bad week for eating.

#2732 - 03/13/03 12:07 PM
Zaftig1

Yes I'm Jewish, through and through!
And I'm a big healthy girl too...yeah, baby! (as Austin Powers would say

--------------------

#2745 - 03/13/03 01:06 PM
miva

Reged: 03/04/03
Loc: Virginia

I miss Steak&Cheese subs, good NY pizza, buffalo wings,w/real bluecheese dressing, death by chocolate, McDonald's Caramel Sundays and a hearty guiness to wash it all down.

all the best - mike.

#2746 - 03/13/03 01:06 PM
Lana_Marie

I know how you feel Biscrandi!

It bothers me too that my husband can order in dinner from our favorite restuarant, order our favorite dish and then I have to cook for myself.

I haven't been able to find something to tell myself to make it easier to watch him eat all the "good stuff".

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#2760 - 03/13/03 03:39 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Sharon - You are really hilarious, you know that! I love Jersey Tomatoes. There's nothing like a tomato sandwich. I'm not sure if a tomato would bother me, but I sure plan on finding out this summer! But the corn....what more can I say. I think I may try at least a little this summer. Corn & I had a nasty fight last summer though, so I'm not sure....

I do still have asparagus. I had some the other night with dinner. I steam it with lemon juice on the stove till it's really soft. Yummy!

Mags

#2786 - 03/14/03 04:23 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03

I really miss McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese, caffe lattes (caramel from starbucks), flavoured milk drinks and coke, kfc and pizza. Can't half tell I'm on a diet too - miss the 'good' stuff.

I might be a little luckier than some - I'm pretty ok with meat (not pork though).

#2787 - 03/14/03 04:24 AM
tlc

Oh God yes, I forgot about all the lovely creamy pastas ... YOu are making me hungry!

#2788 - 03/14/03 04:25 AM
tlc

I know Yatala pies well! My uncle would bring one to my grandparent's house every Christmas Day!!! WHere in bris are you from?

#2794 - 03/14/03 06:55 AM
SharonMello

Z1 - Welcome to our board!!! Guess I'm the only other Jewish person on this board since no one picked up on your name. When I saw your name,, bells and whitstles went off in my head.

My Mom died in 2001 and I really miss her cooking. In fact the other day I made fried motza and I used egg beaters. It turned out pretty good. My husband (not Jewish) even ate it! It's a good IBS meal, too.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2796 - 03/14/03 07:01 AM
SharonMello

OK, Mags - thx for the compliment! There IS NOTHING better than a Jersey tomato sandwich with Velveeta, mayo on white bread. OMG, I can't believe I'm thinking of this stuff. You guys are B A D!

Okay, here's a good one that I miss...When my Mom would make a pork roast, she'd score the fat on the top, put all kinds of spices and herbs on it and then roast it till it was well done. The fat on the top that was scored was SO crispy and tasty, I just used to stand over the roasting pan and pick the little squares of fat off and eat it. OMG, it was so good. The same with steak. She'd leave some of the fat on the sides, score it and when it was done broiling, that fat was absolutely heaven. It was better than sex!! Really!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2806 - 03/14/03 11:46 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

for me, it's whitespot's chicken burger and chicken and chips at a place called Nando's. Iam still hoping to enjoy eggs one day without any problems. I bought some organic eggs but am still having problrms with it,

#2807 - 03/14/03 11:57 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

for all those who are complaining abouit cooking two meals. yOU might take heart in the fact that what you are cooking for yourself won't cause you problems, I DO sympathize with you all , on the fact about noy being able to eat anything, I have had IBS FOR SEVERAL years now, soI KNOW of what I SPEAK. Also, the meals are not exactly tasteless, the whole basis of the diet. Iam feeding my family some of my meals as well. They are benefiting from them, not suffering BECAUSE of them, some other things to think about.

#2820 - 03/14/03 01:17 PM
Lana_Marie

Actually kinda strange - but my husband has trouble eating what I eat.

He said he has terrible bowel movements (Not painfully just smelly and a funny color) and he has terrible gas.

He has sworn off eating the stuff I cook. LOL.

So we can't have two meals - no matter what kind of convenience it would provide us.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#2821 - 03/14/03 01:19 PM
Lana_Marie

Sex in a roast pan...LOL

I have alike reference when it comes to Banana Jammers from Moxies. Sex in a glass LOL

You are hilarious! I agree!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#2827 - 03/14/03 01:46 PM
Andie

Loc: Western NY

I wish I could eat soy - it seems like such a good substitute but it gives me such cramps! Even ricemilk based things like parmesan "cheese" isn't good because it has casein in it. Why make rice-based dairy substitutes if you're going to put the worst of dairy in them??? I miss so many foods - chocolate, pizza, and being able to use cheese in recipes the most. What happened to us????

#2829 - 03/14/03 01:51 PM
KinOz

Hi, If you've had them before then you are one lucky person! Aren't they terrific?

I live in a suburb called Regents Park which is about 30 minutes south of Brisbane City. What about you?

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2833 - 03/14/03 03:49 PM
mmacrobbie

i honestly miss being able to eat salad. i am a huge veggie fan, and this is one of my worst triggers! working around different cooked veggie salad, but just not the same as a good old fashion fresh greens salad, with raw peppers, etc!

#2852 - 03/15/03 02:25 AM
tlc

Yeah I've had the pies before and they were very tasty - couldn't get through one alone as they were also very filling.

I live near the logan hyperdome - you would probably know it if you live at regents park. I used to teach at park ridge high, which I don't think is too far from there?

#2861 - 03/15/03 06:40 AM
leggs_500

Reged: 03/15/03

Is anyone else gaining weight on Heather's diet?

#2869 - 03/15/03 08:50 AM
SharonMello

Lana Marie - what are Banana Jammers????? You Canajans sure talk funny!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2870 - 03/15/03 08:54 AM
SharonMello

Mmac - I wonder if marinated peppers would bother you. I have a recipe for a Copper Penny Salad that is made with bell peppers, onions and carrots (all raw and sliced) and the marinade is sugar, vinegar and tom sauce that you cook until the sugar is melted. You pour it over the veggies and then refrigerate for 2 days before you eat it. I hate the taste of raw green peppers, but I love 'em like this and they don't seem to bother me.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2873 - 03/15/03 11:08 AM
Zaftig1

Great to meet you! :-) I use the term zaftig the way my dad used to, for the most part...to mean a woman who is voluptuous, curvy, amply-figured, etc. My other handle on the fat acceptance forum is ZaftigGoddessAnita (lol!)

Fried matzo..you know, I'd been staying away from it because I try to avoid anything fried. How do you make it without using a lot of oil? Oil is my number one enemy when it comes to IBS. Do you use PAM? I use that for fry-baking potato latkes in the oven.

--------------------

Re: Question of the day...Things you used to be able to eat but no longer can....(m)Gaining weight new
      #2876 - 03/15/03 12:45 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I find I've not gained weight but am certainly not losing it like so many people seem to be(and I could do with it!!!)
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: Question of the day...Fried Motza new
      #2884 - 03/15/03 04:27 PM
SharonMello

Zaftig - Yes, you're right about the translation. That's exactly what it means. And, that's exactly the way I am too!

Re frying motza - I have pots/pans that don't need any fat to saute, etc. They're from T-Fal called Armaral Ingenio (made in France--hoity-toity!!!) Got 'em a few years ago from a TV ad and I just love them. They conduct heat so well that you only have to put them on med heat for them to cook on high. The inside surface is pebbled and not smooth. Nothing ever sticks to the surface and they're a snap to clean. We decided to get these particular pans because of being able to cook without oil/fat, there's no need to scrub them because nothing ever sticks (my hands are in bad shape and I can't grab things or scrub because of my thumb joints) and the handles snap off allowing youu to be able to put them inside one another without the handles getting in the way.

Anyway, sometimes I do use a little oil when sauteeing but onions, mushrooms will brown without it.I think I used a little margerine with the fried motza but you could probably use spray Pam (butter flavor) and I think it would come out good.

Here's another idea for a snack, tho, you being the Princess and all! At bagel bakeries, sometimes they make bagel chips. What they do is slice day old bagels very thin and bake them so they get crisp like crackers. It's full of soluble fiber and they're really good too. Reminds me of eating potato chips, only no fat and no salt. They make them out of the sweet ones; i.e. raisin, cranberry, strawberry, blueberry, etc. I know, I know, back in our day all we had to choose from was plain and egg. Now, the sky's the limit. My sister visited a few days ago and brought me a load of bagels and some bagel chips. That's what I'm munching on right now. YUM!

Living in California, I miss--SO MUCH--Jewish deli's. When I lived at home in NJ, every Friday evening we'd get in the car and go to the Jewish deli and buy Nova lox, smoked salmon, smoked whitefish (I can still see the golden yellow skin), bagels, barrel pickels and green tomatoes for breakfast on Saturday. Oh, poo, I wanna be 16 again!!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Edited by SharonMello (03/15/03 04:28 PM)

#2999 - 03/16/03 06:34 PM
KinOz

Wow, that's around the corner!!!!

If you live near the Hyperdome you probably know Waterford which is where I teach.

Small world! We should get together for a safe meal sometime!

Kerrie

--------------------

#3010 - 03/17/03 04:53 AM
lovejoy_22

I made the alfredo yesterday and it was really good!!! I am still going to play with the recipe for a little while to get the right consistency for me. I like it a little thicker than most, but it was definitely tasty!! Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#3030 - 03/17/03 12:52 PM
Lana_Marie

Banana Jammers is a wonderful alcoholic drink which consists of: ice cream, kaluha, banana liquor and cherries.

Absolutely wonderful! But a big no no now.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3075 - 03/17/03 07:51 PM
SharonMello

Lana Marie - O--M--G...that's sound just great, but...
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3077 - 03/17/03 08:53 PM
taconno

Reged: 01/30/03

I miss going to a really good breakfast place and ordering eggs loaded with cheese and bacon, and a really good biscuit. I also miss eating what everyone else has instead of special ordering everything and feeling like a pain.

#3087 - 03/18/03 12:01 AM
tlc

You teach at waterford? My friend taught at Windaroo which is around that area and her Mum taught at the preschool there. I teach at Flagstone which is about 20 mins from where you are.

I also live about 10-15 mins from waterford! Maybe we should do the safe meal thing sometime?

So do you teach primary, high, or preschool?

#3155 - 03/18/03 01:18 PM
Zaftig1

I'm in New Jersey myself! Although I moved here from Philly a few months ago. South Jersey to be exact.

Not as many delis right here as there were in Philly, but in Cherry Hill we have some good ones.

Have you ever made potato latkes in the oven using what I call the "fry-bake" method? They come out better than the old fat laden way and taste more potatoey too! I got the idea from "Healthy Jewish Cooking" cookbook, which turns the traditional recipes into low fat versions.

Happy Purim, btw! Made hamantaschen yesterday, as low fat as I could.

--------------------

#3193 - 03/18/03 03:00 PM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

I just bought my first soy ice cream--Vanilla Soy Dream. It has more fat than I'd like, but it tastes quite good. I swirled in a bit of cocoa powder so I could have chocolate. They make a chocolate chip one, but it has even more fat.

#3203 - 03/18/03 03:43 PM
Snow for Sarala

Loc: West Coast, USA

Chag Sameach! Cherry Hill--where exactly in Jersey is that? How did your Hamantaschen go? I totaly ruied my IBS diet eating some of the Shalach Manos I received (I teach kindergarten at a Day School so the kinderlach and I swapped treats--yummy--but painful!)
Hope you had a GREAT Purim Sameach!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Question of the day...Fried Motza..Zat.. new
      #3205 - 03/18/03 03:50 PM
ConcreteAngel

i live right near cherry hill! its a small world afterall

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3267 - 03/19/03 09:08 AM
Zaftig1

My hamataschen came out really great! I had to use regular eggs (had no egg whites)...and low fat margarine...but they came out good. I was surprised at how easy they were to make!

Cherry Hill area is in southern NJ, about 20 mins from Philadelphia.

Take care!

Anita

--------------------

#3268 - 03/19/03 09:08 AM
Zaftig1

I'm not actually IN Cherry Hill, I'm in Blackwood, about 15 mins south. I usually say "near Cherry Hill" because so far NO ONE has known where Blackwood was! (lol)

--------------------

#3278 - 03/19/03 09:45 AM
SharonMello

Ruchie - I don't understand the Yiddisha words! Please in English, por favor!

Cherry Hill is near Philadelphia, across the Delaware River. Since I married a goy, we don't observe Jewish Holidays. In fact, my sister and brother married out of our faith, too. We lived in an area where there were few Jews so that didn't leave us 3 kids much to choose from within our religion. And, my Dad wasn't a very religious man (his Mom died at birth and his Dad brought up all 4 boys with a broom handle!) He wouldn't let my Mom keep a Kosher house, either. Ergo, all religious upbringing went down the tubes. I'm lucky I turned out as good as I did!

It's nice to converse with someone of my own faith, albeit pretty non-existant!

Sharon (Shandela, as my Mom used to call me)

--------------------
Sharon

#3324 - 03/19/03 11:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Shandela! That's a BEAUTIFUL name!!! I LOVE IT! I didn't grow up in a Kosher home myself--although everyoen was Jewish--just not religious. My husband and I are quite frum (observant/Orthodox) even though we didn't grow up that way--and we LOVE it!
I was actually wondering about Cherry Hill in terms of the community there--are there many Shuls?
Thanks so much for writing--and for thinking of me with the kugel!! I haven't been able to eat kugel for months now--it would sure be great to have some!
I hope you had an AMAZING Purim! (Freilichen, btw, means happy)
Thakns again Shandela

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3346 - 03/19/03 01:29 PM
SharonMello

Ruchie - (is that Yiddish for Ruth?) I've been gone from NJ for 25 years so what I knew then about Cherry Hill
Shuls probably doesn't fit today. Besides, we were poor and we went to a little Shul in Gloucester down by the river. The Shul in Haddonfield was too ritzy for us, my Mom said. And, besides we didn't have the money to go there either!

If you want me to list the other Jewish Food recipes in the cookbook, I will. Just let me know. They're okay for WW but probably have to be re-vamped for IBSers.

I'm not much on Jewish words, so bear with me. L'Haim!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3351 - 03/19/03 02:37 PM
ConcreteAngel

lol, good ol' nj where no one has heard of any of the small towns. i live about 15 mins away from cherry hill too

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3363 - 03/19/03 05:08 PM
Snow for Sarala

Shandela (do you mind if I call you that?),

I think Ruchie is a nickname of Rochel--my husband only calls me Ruchie otherwise I'm known as Rochel.

I am DEFINATELY interested in Jewish recipes! Thanks SO much!

L'Chaim to you too! Shall we make a toast? To peace, to peace, and to SHALOM (more peace)! Seriously, I hope there will be peace in this unsettled world soon!

Take care--keep in touch!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3369 - 03/19/03 05:30 PM
SharonMello

Ruchie - No, I don't mind. No one has called me that in years...and I do mean years!

Great Toast. At least you know what I mean from my misspelled Jewish words. My English is much better.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3412 - 03/19/03 11:41 PM
KinOz

Yes we should!

I teach primary school.

Kerrie

--------------------

#3416 - 03/20/03 02:21 AM
tlc

Do you have heather's books? I am interested in getting them, but wanted to know how you got on with aussie equivalent versions of american things mentioned in the book.

#3438 - 03/20/03 07:53 AM
Zaftig1

Marrying a nonJew doesnt have to mean not being observant! My husband is not Jewish either, but he is very what I call Judeo-philic. We observe all Jewish holidays, and our 3 kids even attend an Orthodox Hebrew school (!) We even keep kosher here and are moderately Sabbath observant.

It can be done!

--------------------

#3440 - 03/20/03 07:55 AM
Zaftig1

Cherry Hill is nice...BUT VERY expensive to live in!! Its one reason I live 15 mins away. Not very Jewish where I am but at least I can afford it.

--------------------

Re: Yes! new
      #3538 - 03/20/03 11:46 PM
KinOz

Yes I have them and they're great!

I would definately recommend getting them. I have figured out an aussie equivalent for just about everything and would be happy to help you out.

If you've got specific questions about anything you can always email me at bkgarlick@gil.com.au

Kerrie

--------------------

#3559 - 03/21/03 05:25 AM
tlc

Thanks a lot for that. I will organise to order them (did you order yours through the net or can we get them in regular bookstores?).

Once I read through them, I'll email you if I have some q's about ingredients (I'm sure there will be q's!).

Also - are they meals your husband enjoys or do you find yourself cooking a few different meals for dinner?

#3659 - 03/21/03 02:23 PM
KinOz

I ordered them on the net - they came in about 4 days. My husband eats all the meals and really likes them. The only exception to that is the fact that he sometimes feels like red meat. So once a week I usually cook that for him and I have salmon which he is not a fan of. So that works well for us. I like the Mustard Dill salmon recipe and with that one it is easy for me to just cook hime a steak and serve it with the sauce which he really likes.

Kerrie

--------------------

#3736 - 03/22/03 07:25 AM
SharonMello

Leggs500 - How much have you gained? I'm always trying to lose!!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3749 - 03/22/03 02:23 PM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

I miss Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream, chicken parmigan, macaroni and cheese, being able to go to a restaurant and order anything I want, instead of: baked potato, broiled fish, steam green beans. Oh! let us not forget: Italian custard desserts. Yummy!

Olgis

#3752 - 03/22/03 04:01 PM
tlc

Thanks a lot for that Kerrie! I'll order them in about a week, but I will probably need advice on the aussie brands to get.

Do you know of any good snack brands for IBS?

Re: Question of the day...I'm with you!!! -nt- new
      #3754 - 03/22/03 04:19 PM
SharonMello

--------------------
Sharon

#3788 - 03/22/03 10:05 PM
KinOz

I like parkers mini pretzels, freedom foods corn chips, sa-ka-ta rice crackers, soy life yoghurts, Sok baked potato chips.

I also make heaps of heather's breads and cakes and freeze them in individual portions to take to work.

Kerrie

--------------------

#3790 - 03/22/03 10:35 PM
tlc

Heheh - that's quite funny as I'm already eating the pretzels, sok chips and sakata rice crackers! Must be a stomach instinct eh? What are freedom food corn chips - can you get them at coles?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 47192

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review