All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the board - Scared of soy!
      #261846 - 05/05/06 12:19 PM
nanasez

Reged: 05/05/06

Hi all. I'm new, and am trying to figure out how to get protein without dairy (which I love) or red meat. I'm sick to death of chicken, and don't like fish. I know people use tofu/soy as a meat substitute, but I'm kind of scared of it. Years ago I babysat two different kids who were on soy formulas, and they had the most stinky BMs imaginable! I'm wondering, do people using tofu find that they have such a problem for themselves?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to the board - Scared of soy! new
      #261848 - 05/05/06 12:26 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I'm in the same boat as you. I eat 5-10 pieces of chicken a day and I've got a block of Tofu thats been sitting in the fridge for a week . My cholesterol has always been good but I can only wonder how long that's going to last with all of the chicken that I eat. Turkey is another option but I can't find much of it at the health food store.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Re: New to the board - Scared of soy! new
      #261868 - 05/05/06 02:11 PM
AlyssaKaye2

Reged: 04/14/06

Lol...I've never noticed such a problem. For me, the worst is actually roasted peppers and onions, but I love them dearly so that hasn't stopped me, just have to be more selective about when and where!

As far as soy....it's really not so scary. Not two minutes ago, a friend who I had pick up some soy dream (ice cream) for me (it's far away, you have to take the bus, and they were going) was convinced to try a bite, which became a bowl, which became a room for of people eating bowls of it, each very tenatively before pronouncing that it was in fact delicious.

I used soy milk only in cooking for the longest time, then eventually on my cereal and such, and now just finally this year got brave enough to drive a glass of it, and I was surprised to find that I actually enjoy it! Again, that was progressive....the chocolate (another great place to start!), then vanilla, and even now plain. I wouldn't have dared touch plain before...I used the vanilla for quite some time. Now I've found it sweeter than I need for some things though.

And then there are nice pre-paid meals and things with tofu and other meat substitutes in them. Sometimes that's a good way to try it, nice and disguised.

There are many less intimidating ways to try soy, before you have to stare at that block of tofu on your counter...although I suspect you'll come to like that too!

Don't be scared! new
      #261886 - 05/05/06 05:07 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

It's not that bad! Honest! I use soy milk. And almond tofu in place of cream cheese in cheesecake. Also the plain sometimes in stir-fry. Tofu takes the flavour of what you are preparing it with. I don't just eat it by itself - kinda bland. Depending on what brands you buy you will find differences too. For me, Soy Silk brand milk. All of the others are yucky. But the Soy Dream icecream is good too! Experiment!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Welcome! new
      #261905 - 05/05/06 07:11 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Soy based formulas are different from soy foods you consume as an adult. And it may not have been the formula that caused the odorific BMs. Many a thing can make a baby stinky. I have soy products with nearly all of my meals and, if anything, odors have lessened with them. Give the soy/tofu alts a try. If your only prob is stinky BMs, I'd called that IBS under great control.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1759 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review