All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamin B12 supplement
      #261496 - 05/04/06 08:49 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My endocrinologist wants me to try a Sublingual (dissolves under the tongue) B12 supplement. The ones she likes are from GNC and the "Other Ingredients" are: "Sorbitol, Mannitol, Aspartame, Natural and Artificial Flavors". Needless to say, those are out of the question.

I poked around a little and found some from TwinLabs where the "Other Ingredients" are: "Cellulose, sorbitol, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, silica, cherry flavor, cyanocobalamin, malic acid". Those look somewhat more doable - they have sorbitol but not the other sweeteners and sorbitol is not the first ingredient. (I have no idea what the rest of the stuff in there is.)

I did Search on this and found a couple of posters who say all the sublingual B12 supplements they've seen have sorbitol. So in hopes that's changed since the last posts were made ...

Has anyone found a sublingual B12 supplement that doesn't contain IBS-unsafe ingredients?

TIY.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamin B12 supplement new
      #261536 - 05/04/06 10:49 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

If you don't mind me asking, why does it have to be sublingual? GNC has a regular B12 supplement that is safe, just not sublingual. I've used it in the past (on a new supplement from the fibro doc that has B12 in it as well, so don't want to over do it).

It's Vitamin B12 500, and the ingredients are dextrose, dicalcium phosphate, whole brown rice powder. And 500 mcg of B12, of course. I took it after breakfast every day for a few months and had no problems.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#261553 - 05/04/06 11:45 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I take a regular b12, along with several other vits without issue. I haven't seen under sub lingual ones though.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#261554 - 05/04/06 11:50 AM
Sand

You read my mind - I've got a phone call in to ask her if she has any objection to my trying a swallowable one instead.

The thinking behind the sublingual was that if I have an absorption problem rather than a not consuming enough problem, there's some evidence (I don't know how much or how firm) that the sublingual will be absorbed anyhow. However, we don't actually know why my B12 is running low, so unless someone has found a non-sorbitol sublingual version, I'd rather try my luck with a swallowable one first.

Thanks muchly for the info on a safe version.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#261826 - 05/05/06 10:10 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've tried sublingual B12, only with disasterous results--the sorbitol alone triggered an attack. I currently receive shots, however, in the past took it in pill form without problem. I used the "Jamieson" brand.

Kate, IBS-D.

#261844 - 05/05/06 11:52 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

hmmm...my understanding of B12 is that it needs to be taken under the tongue because it is basically 'killed' when digested through the stomach. When taken under the tongue it can be 'digested' through the blood stream. If that just made sense... I've taken B12 by Solar Ray and not had issues...but that could just be me.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Update on oral B12 supplement new
      #273845 - 07/13/06 09:16 AM
Sand

I've been taking an oral (not sublingual) B12 supplement for 2 months, 500 mcg with breakfast, 500 mcg with dinner. My Vitamin B12 Serum has gone from 111 to 792, so apparently what I had was a "not getting enough" problem rather than a malabsorption problem.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

--------------------

#372150 - 06/04/15 07:15 AM
ceh2268

Reged: 06/04/15

Not sure if this helps or if you or anyone is interested but I recently heard about a new oral prescription alternative to the injections called Eligen B12. I recently read that it works even if you don't have intrinsic factor (so even if you don't have normal gut absorption, which would mean no more shots. Apparently it came out a month or two ago. Has anyone tried it??

Re: Vitamin B12 supplement/Eligen B-12 ingredients new
      #372151 - 06/04/15 12:51 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

It won't copy and paste off Eligen B-12 prescribing info pdf web page ref. below, but ingredients sound fine. Still though, I would rather take all my b vites together as I have learned is best? I have been taking a sublingual b complex from Sprouts grocers, their Sprout's brand with just veg. glycerin, water and natural flavors. I use to take my b vites in a total vitamins better tasting Cellfood multi-vite spray, but it was discontinued recently, too bad because it just had glycerin for a sweetener. web page

Edited by sgcray (06/04/15 01:14 PM)

Re: Vitamin B12 supplement/Multivitamin spray sublingual new
      #372152 - 06/04/15 03:53 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Got me thinking about getting a spray multi-vite again;Would rather buy at my local store though with rest of the groceries. I think I used to get this one years ago. Ingredients sound ok, plus has small amount of some minerals. This site is for IBS folks too and is out of California. Also, BOGO 1/2 price right now:
http://www.crohns.net/page/C/PROD/Pacifica_Sprays/DNA1001

Edited by sgcray (06/04/15 04:03 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7886

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review