All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Reading food labels: I learned my lesson...again!
      #261361 - 05/03/06 02:46 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

All I wanted was one baby dill pickle.

I went to the grocery store today and picked up a small jar of Vlasic Baby Dills. I didn't bother reading the label because I've bought these before, and if I eat one or two with a meal they don't bother me. Well, when I got home I took one bite of the pickle and gagged. It was digustingly sweet and sour and had a very weird chemical taste. I spit out what I had chewed. I looked at the jar. Uh oh. "No sugar added" was stamped on the label. I turned it - and there was the "Splenda" logo. Yep, sucralose was listed on the ingredients list too.

How did I miss this?! But you know, I never thought a sugar substitute would be used in something like pickles. So I just got a gross reminder of why I shouldn't assume traditional food items or condiments are safe. And, now I know that Splenda tastes disgusting. IBS trigger aside - how can anyone eat that stuff?! UGH! My upper lip is still burning and I can't get the taste out of my mouth.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Reading food labels: I learned my lesson...again! new
      #261389 - 05/03/06 04:41 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh man! The places you find sucralose these days! Ew. I'm so sorry Maria - feel better soon!

I can really commiserate. The other day I was feeling the need for cookies, which I never really do, but I was at the grocery store looking at the Arrowroots. I looked over the ingredients and yup, totally safe. Then I glanced over to the no-name version, which was a lot cheaper, so I threw them in my cart. After eating a handful at home, I was feeling a little off, and I looked at the package - there was DAIRY in these ones! Not only that, but there was actually a little warning label saying something like "this product contains wheat and dairy etc..." D'oh!! I've been reading labels for dairy since forever. I can't believe I missed this! Ack. I definitely paid the price. But ah well... learned my lesson that's for sure!

#261403 - 05/03/06 07:02 PM
Jms97

Reged: 01/09/06

yep, I did that a couple weeks ago bought the wrong brand of cream of mushroom soup, man I felt horrible. Now I double check!

#261444 - 05/04/06 06:39 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I just did it last week with a jar of peanut butter. Picked up the cheaper brand, forgot to check label. Then I noticed it said 20% less fat than PEANUT BUTTER!! What the heck did I buy that said PEANUT BUTTER on the label? Peanut Butter spread! What the **** is that? It does have peanuts in it but a whole lot of other junk!!! In the trash....tasted nasty!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Oh, ick! new
      #261454 - 05/04/06 07:05 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think when a product's ingredients change, the manufacturer should be required to put a flashing "We messed with a perfectly good product" warning sign on the label for at least a year.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 901 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review