All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Won't you please help me too???
      #261180 - 05/02/06 06:58 PM
Glitchh

Reged: 05/01/06

Well it's been a little over 24 hours since I made my first post and it's already on page five with no replies despite 44 views. My questions seem no harder than anyone elses who get replies, is this forum some kind of clique where only the in crowd gets help??? I'd appreciate those with experience with this condition sharing anything that might help me, that doesn't seem like I'm asking too much. I'll repeat the post below. Thank you.

This is my first day here. I started life with colic for the first months on the planet and by 7 or 8 had developed IBS, but only at high stress periods or after visiting a Chinese restraunt, and by junior high a more full blown IBS that worsend into by 20's. I've never really tried much to treat it except by avoiding my real trigger foods. Now I think I have a candida overgrowth on top of it. Now where to start treatment? Is this Acacia Tummy stuff the best soluable fiber to start with, will it work well with candida? Or should I try to treat the candida first, and if so do I start the Tummy stuff first or the probiotics?
The most recent change is that the dehydration is much worse than it use to be, even a very small amount of a vitamin or mineral, among other things, will cause noticable feelings of dryness within 20 minutes, lasting until I pass it through. What's with that, 20 minutes?? And I'm 57 and mostly prone to diarrhea, with little constipation of any consequense. Any other recommendations to questions I didn't think of? Thanks all.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Won't you please help me too??? new
      #261182 - 05/02/06 07:08 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I think you'll get some more replies if you answer some basic questions:

Have you read the "IBS Diet & Recipes" section (link to the upper left)? Are you following the IBS diet?

Since you have D, have you tried Imodium? Have you done any searches of the boards for your questions?

We're actually a very friendly and welcoming bunch, but accusations aren't the way to make people feel warm and friendly.

--AC

#261183 - 05/02/06 07:09 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

No this is not a clique. If you want to bring your post/discussion back up to the first page, just reply to your own post and in the subject line write "bump".

I would probably start with the acacia since it's a pre biotic, for a few days so your body can get used to it, then slowly add in the probiotics increasing your dose every 1 or 2 weeks. If you take big doses of probiotics, it may make you gassy, with some cramping. You should notice a difference with the probiotics in 2 or 3 months.

HTH

#261197 - 05/02/06 08:11 PM
Glitchh

Sorry if my desperation for help has made me a little impatient and snappy.

I've read some of the info on this site but haven't seen yet anything that tells me what this D means you are speaking of. I just found this site yesterday and have not started any IBS diet as of yet, I'm just now getting serious about doing something about this problem but now the candida is making this whole gut issue more problematic.

Thanks Gracie for your suggestions.

#261199 - 05/02/06 08:13 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I don't know what to suggest since I am not familiar with Candida. Hoopefully someone who has some experince with it will see and repy to your post. I hope you find the help you need and welcome to the site!!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#261214 - 05/02/06 11:27 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

D= diarhea

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#261221 - 05/03/06 03:14 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

On the first page of the IBS diet board, there is a lot of information for people new to the site. It will help you to understand better what people are talking about. It says, "New Folks, Please read this first...lots of good info"

After you've read through that, it'll be easier for you to be more specific and we'll know more about where you're coming from.

Also...there's another spot at the beginning there too where it tells you what all the abbreviations are.

Welcome!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#261258 - 05/03/06 07:18 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not sure what you mean by a candida overgrowth - and it sounds like you haven't actually been diagnosed with one. If you have a fungus (that's what candida is, right?) in your digestive tract, I would think you need to get that formally diagnosed, treated, and cleared up before you try anything else.

If you want to deal with the IBS, then you need to read about Heather's EFI Diet. You can do that out on the Website (just click on "Home" to the left to get started) or you can read Heather's book, "The First Year - IBS". If you don't want to buy the book, your library probably has it. You should also read ALL the sticky posts (the ones with the little push-pin icons) at the top of the Diet Board posts. They'll explain a lot.

I don't understand what you're saying about dehydration with vitamins or minerals. And not understanding that - or knowing much if anything about candida - is why I did not reply to your post even though demographically you're right up my alley (I'm 52 and IBS-D). As one of the other posters says, without basic information about what you're doing now it's hard to respond. A lot of posters just wander in thinking this is a general IBS Board, so we need really basic information like "Are you on Heather's EFI Diet?" "Are you taking an SFS?" and so on. And if you're going to talk about conditions that are not related to IBS - like intestinal candida and dehydration from vitamins and minerals - we really need more information to even begin to make intelligent suggestions.

Two more pieces of advice since I'm on a roll here. First, as someone else said, bumping is an excellent way to emphasize that you want a reply. Give it 24 hours - as you did - then just put "Bump -nt-" in the subject line of a reply. If you want, you can expand a little on that with "Bump. Please help -nt-". Second, your original subject line was "What a mess". I can certainly sympathize with your feeling that way - I've felt that way a time or two myself - but given the volume of posts a lot of people only read ones they can relate to or help with. So the more focused you can be in your subject line, the more responses you're likely to get. (Although I have to say the subject line in your second post was quite effective.)

I hope some of this helps. The EFI Diet has worked like a charm for me and I hope it works as well for you. I'll be glad to provide any help I can in that regard. Oh, and welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#261382 - 05/03/06 03:55 PM
Glitchh

Thanks much for your advice Sand. I've read several people here and else where mention getting Drs. to take IBS seriously, if you guys think they give IBS no respect try getting them to take candida seriously, it's much worse, you basicly have to diagnose yourself and then find enough info before treating yourself,drugs are basicly ineffective and can be counter productive. The problem with candida is that the diet for it is basicly opposite of that for IBS. I'm positive the reason a lot of people find treating IBS unsuccessful is that they also have candida, it's a modern day plague that the med establishment ignores because the symptoms can be so broad, perhaps even some who have been diagnosed as IBS actually have candida instead. I had IBS decades before the candida set in, now how to treat both??

#261557 - 05/04/06 11:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I had IBS decades before the candida set in, now how to treat both??

I'm not a candida believer myself - I simply refuse to think about fungus in my digestive tract - but assuming you can find foods on the soluble fiber list that fit in with your anti-candida diet, make those the basis of your meals and snacks. So long as your anti-candida diet does not REQUIRE you to eat anything considered a trigger or irritant, you should then be able to meld the two approaches, although your menu may be rather limited.

If you do a Search across all Boards with no time limit, you'll find other posters have brought this up. Perhaps their reports will be helpful.

Good luck with this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 349 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review