All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Estrogenic effect of fennel....I think my body is wacky!!
      #260369 - 04/27/06 08:40 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

After taking 2 of Heather's peppermint caps, I got severe hot flashes and break-through menstral bleeding. I've been doing some research, and found a paper written by a physician on fennell that states: "The compound, p - Anol, is an active estrogenic agent found in fennel and anise. Diethylstilbestrol (DES), which resembles two molecules of p - Anol linked end to end, is fully as potent as the most active gonadal hormone, estradiol. It can be inexpensively synthesized and is highly active when taken orally. In the past it was used for regulation of the menstrual
cycle, in contraceptives, and to prevent premature labor. However, it has been implicated in certain types of cancer (e.g., cervical cancer in daughters of mothers who were given DES during pregnancy) and its use has been superseded by other, presumably less dangerous, compounds"

The peppermint caps are the ONLY thing I can think to attribute this to. My body must walk a fine line hormonally if that is the case. Any input anyone? Apparently, if you are at risk for breast, cervical or any other type of cancers fennel is not your friend. I'd appreciate any input. I'm not taking any more of them.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Estrogenic effect of fennel....I think my body is wacky!! new
      #260372 - 04/27/06 08:45 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I don't have any input for you, but this made me worry. Will taking Heather's Peppermint capsules effect my birth control pills? I take the caps daily!!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#260384 - 04/27/06 10:06 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

About that, I don't know. I had problems with break through bleeding when I tried to take digesive enzymes too, and at that time, I had a chance to ask my gyn, and she said that it lessened the effectiveness. I do know that you can find out a lot about this "estrogenic" effect online - it is established scientifically. I just know I can't tolerate them and wanted to find out any other information I could. This could be important for anyone with an increased chance of female cancers and should be explored.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#260386 - 04/27/06 10:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Interesting. I'm not sure if it will effect bc pills or not but I was taking Heathers Peppermint caps while I was doing all the fertility drugs. I was having regular estrogen checks done to monitor the fertility drugs and my estrogen was always with in the normal range.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Estrogenic effect of fennel (tmi?) new
      #260592 - 04/28/06 06:43 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I don't usually get a period so for me your post was relevant. I'm on an iud with progesterone dosing and I haven't had a regular period in 3 years. Sometimes spotting, thats it. Now all of a sudden I get a period! ARGH!!! I've been on pep caps for aobut 6 weeks now, 2 per day. I'm going to cut back to 1 at dinner until I see the GI next week. I don't like this at all!!! If it is the fennel causing the problem I've gotta find a better solution than it to settle my tummy! I was quite happy without a monthly uninvited guest!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Estrogenic effect of fennel (tmi?) new
      #260609 - 04/29/06 05:32 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I have heard about the estrogenic effect of fennel. I don't take the peppermint caps, but I do drink a couple cups of peppermint/chammomile/fennel tea every day. I think this amount must be too small to have an effect on me. Maybe for those of you who have noticed an effect could switch to peppermint-only capsules. I don't know if Heather sells them, but I know you can find them at health food stores.

--------------------
Kim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4031 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 823

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review