All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
IBS/C New Book
      #260220 - 04/26/06 01:39 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

I dont know who it was but reccomended a great book to me. It's called The New IBS solution by Dr. Mark Pimental from Cedars Sinai in CA. Drs. are now attributed IBS as a bacterial problem and that stress, medications, etc. just exasberate the problem even more. Has anyone else read this great book?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS/C New Book new
      #260251 - 04/26/06 03:40 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I haven't, but you can do a search on "SIBO" (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) for several discussions on the work of Drs. Mark Pimental and Henry C. Lin. I myself will be taking the breath test for SIBO next week.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#260268 - 04/26/06 04:43 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Robin,

I recommended it to you through E-Mail regarding the Xiafaxan you were taking. Are your symptoms any better? I hope your doctor is giving you a breath test. I just took the breath test and will find out soon if I have SIBO.

If I come back positive with SIBO, I think I'll opt for the Visonex diet for a couple of weeks because the last antibiotic I took put me in the ER.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#260284 - 04/26/06 06:11 PM
renee21

Just curious, what is the Visonex diet?

--------------------

#260285 - 04/26/06 06:12 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I just ordered his book called The False Fat Diet. Should be getting it soon...it details an elimination diet.

I have an appt with a new GI in May and I hope to be tested for SIBO and food allergies. I thought I was C, but I'm not. My only symptoms now are horrible and sometimes painful abdominal bloating.

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (04/26/06 06:14 PM)

#260287 - 04/26/06 06:30 PM
LostCode

It's an all liquid diet to rid yourself of the bacteria and you take it for two weeks under the supervision of a doctor. It apparently has everything that you need and could live on it indefinitely if you had to. The success rate is very high according to the book so there is some hope.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#260288 - 04/26/06 06:33 PM
renee21

Oh yeah, I read about that treatment, I just didn't know the name. Thanks!

--------------------

there's a simple breath test... new
      #260296 - 04/26/06 07:00 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...that you can have done to tell you if you have bacterial problems. Mine came back negative...so I know I don't have to waste time or money doing this diet or taking a medication that might even hurt me.

I suggest you have the test done to see if this is even an issue for you.

HTH

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: IBS/C New Book- to Jon new
      #260301 - 04/26/06 07:26 PM
RobinV

O thanks, I deleted your emails so I couldnt getin contact with you. I read the entire book and could definately relate. Well I'm on my second round of the antibotic. I did feel better when I was on it. But the C isnt really any better. From what I read in the book it is probably attributed to what I'm eating, like sugars and fats. I didnt know that sugar feeds into bacteria I thought it was just the fats. My dr. never suggested a breath test, I'm not sure why. I don't think he takes me seriously and he is suppose to be the best gi in the area. I d like to email dr. pimental but I havent found an email address for him.

I have yet to find a doctor who takes this seriously-nt new
      #260303 - 04/26/06 07:29 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I have yet to find a doctor who takes this seriously-nt new
      #260309 - 04/26/06 08:09 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I just saw my doctor today.
I asked him about a bacterial overgrowth study, it is funny because when I told about IBS C he mentioned bacteria.

He told me bacterial overgrowth studies can be incomplete and miss or be vague, but I could get a breathe test.
Do all breathe tests check for SIBO?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#260310 - 04/26/06 08:10 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

It's an all liquid diet to rid yourself of the bacteria and you take it for two weeks under the supervision of a doctor. It apparently has everything that you need and could live on it indefinitely if you had to. The success rate is very high according to the book so there is some hope.

If it's so good how come Heather doesn't mention it in the book?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#260428 - 04/27/06 01:24 PM
LostCode

It's a possible cause for IBS but it hasn't gotten a lot of support from the medical community as of yet. There isn't enough evidence that it works. Most of the doctors I talk to look at me like I'm foolish for mentioning this. The studies are encouraging but I guess only time will tell.

As far as Heather not putting it in her book, I'm not sure, maybe because he's the competition? I also know in Heathers research library there is an article stating that antibiotics can be harmful to people with IBS which I can attest to first hand. If this really is the cure, I doubt Heather would be too upset though.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Re: IBS/C New Book- to Jon new
      #260431 - 04/27/06 01:32 PM
LostCode

Robin,
Thanks for the update. Yeah, you're doctor definitely should've given you a breath test. Now you're never going to know how much bacteria you had in their to begin with. Well, if it makes you better, I doubt that you'll care too much.

It's encouraging to hear that you were better when you were on it. Maybe the second round of Xiafaxan will knock the bacteria out. I'm rather anxious to see how my breath test turned out.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#260464 - 04/27/06 04:03 PM
RobinV

Jon, when I finish with this round I will contact the dr.
The past 2 days my stomach has been really irritated and in pain. Not sure if it was from the laxative supp. but I was desparate the other nite. Then I did some mirilax and I think that might have irritated me. There was no mention of miralax in the book at all. My dr. feels I havent found the right combination yet to keep everything moving . I still believe it is bacteria related. Now the other drug that was mentioned how is that different from the X? Well, when I go back to the dr. I will be taking this book with me.

#260465 - 04/27/06 04:12 PM
LostCode

That's a good idea. I'm sorry to hear that your stomach is in such pain. :crazy: It's too bad your doctor hasn't given you a breath test at all. If you improved after your first 10 days by less than 70% then Mr. Pimentel recommends that you go on the Visonex diet for 14 days. It sounds like you would've been in that category.

I think the other drug(Neomyocin) is pretty similar to Xiafaxan but 5% of it goes throughout your entire body instead of staying in the small instestine like Xiafaxan does.

I hope you're feeling better. Good luck and keep us posted. I'll try e mailing you in a few days to see how you're doing.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#260494 - 04/27/06 08:38 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I haven't, but you can do a search on "SIBO" (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) for several discussions on the work of Drs. Mark Pimental and Henry C. Lin. I myself will be taking the breath test for SIBO next week.

How exactly can you be tested for SIBO, is it just one breathe test?
If I get a breathe test for bacteria would it cover SIBO automatically?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

breath test new
      #260498 - 04/27/06 09:00 PM
renee21

My understanding of the breath test is that you drink a liquid containing lactulose or sometimes glucose. As it leaves your stomach and enters your small intestine, the bacteria in your small intestine will act on it, producing hydrogen. So the test involves breathing into some device that measures the amount of hydrogen in your breath - and hence the amount of bacteria in your small intestine. I think that you have to give several breath samples over the course of a few hours as the liquid passes from your stomach to intestines. And yes, since this test is measuring the amount of bacteria in your gut, it is a way to determine wether you have a Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, a.k.a. SIBO. We all have some bacteria in our small intestines, but I think it's the AMOUNT that's the crucial thing in determining SIBO. Please someone correct me if any of this is wrong.

--------------------

Searches, Websites, and Cautions new
      #260537 - 04/28/06 09:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First, in the interests of full disclosure, I haven't read the book. I browsed through what was available on Amazon and I am curious about what Dr. Pimentel's diet and alternative treatment recommendations are.

I would strongly suggest you do some Board searches on this topic. Do these across all Boards with no time limit. You will find information on the Research Library Board, but some of this has also come up on the Diet Board and ShawnEric, in particular, has posted a lot of information. In addition, you'll find posts by BadlyDrawnBoy, who underwent the Cedars-Sinai SIBO treatment.

Do two different Searches, one for "SIBO" and one for "small overgrowth" (don't use the quotes in either Search.

You might also want to do a Search for "Align" (again, no quotes). This is a probiotic that seems to have some decent clinical trials behind it. (I have not tried it.)

There are Websites that explain what SIBO is, how it causes symptoms, what tests are available to diagnose it, and what treatments can be tried. If you do a Google search on "small bacteria" (don't use the quotes), you'll find a lot of them. Two I found particularly helpful were:

MedicineNet - This article is about 6 months old. It has a full clear explanation of SIBO symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. In particular, it has what seems to be a full discussion of how SIBO can be diagnosed, including how the breath test is done.

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/bacteria2.html - This is a review of the Cedars-Sinai research and includes a link to the original Cedars Sinai article. This is interesting because I thought the Cedars-Sinai research was a new, random, double-blind study. It isn't - the population tested was referred because they probably had SIBO and the number of patients followed up on was small. Unless Cedars Sinai has done further testing prior to the book publication, all the cautions the reviewer raises about the Journal article would apply to the book, also.

At the end of this review, the reviewer talks about people with SIBO not really having IBS because IBS means the doctor has excluded all other diagnoses. I think this is an excellent point - I've always believed IBS is really a "bundle" of conditions and that as more of them are identified, the IBS bundle will get smaller.

However, this distinction has little practical significance for patients. If SIBO does turn out to be the cause of symptoms for some people diagnosed with IBS, it would simply mean that those people have been misdiagnosed and that there is one more test - the SIBO test - that should be done before an IBS diagnosis is finalized. (Interestingly, I ran across one Web article that implied SIBO was a result of IBS rather than the cause of it. This says to me that we desperately need long-term follow-up studies of people whose IBS has been "cured" by SIBO treatment.)

If I were not doing well on the EFI Diet, I would definitely be talking to my doctor about getting a SIBO test. However, I would be extremely cautious about undergoing antibiotic treatment and would probably try probiotics alone first.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Searches, Websites, and Cautions new
      #273038 - 07/07/06 10:39 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks for the links and advice.

I read up and have questions the reading brought to mind perhaps you or somebody can answer one thanks.

1) I took the Hydrogen breathe test which came back positive, is this the SIBO test? Does this mean I have SIBO, and can I have SIBO and IBS, and if so is there a way to proove it?

2) What diet should I go on? I have been on Heather's diet for a year, and have noticed a moderate, but by no means magnifcent change, do I need an all liquid diet? I am IBS c with bloating, trapped gas, when I stopped taking the probiotic I also had d as well.

3) How long do you take the medication, can it be daily or just for a short while?

4) What is the timeframe for treatement, how likely is it to produce, and once done can you eat before IBS appeared?

5) I also tested positive for Lactose intolerance, how does this relate to SIBO, and does this mean if the bacteria is treated I can once again consume it?

6) While I am on medication or after should I be on a probiotic?

7) How high a dose is needed for the medication?

8) I did not see anything written on SIBO causing it to be difficult to have fats, is this true?

9) How do you get this bacterial overgrowth?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Searches, Websites, and Cautions - ShawnEric? new
      #273177 - 07/09/06 09:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't know the answers to most of your questions. My impression - and it is only an impression - is that the diagnosis and treatment of SIBO is new enough that there may not be standard answers to your questions. I've put ShawnEric's name in the subject line - perhaps he has more specific information.

Since I believe IBS and SIBO are two different conditions, it would be theoretically possible for you to have both. Seems unfair, though, doesn't it?

Lactose intolerance is something different - it means you lack the enzyme to digest lactose. (web page) I do not think there is any cure for it, but you can take a product like Lactaid to provide the digestion for you. (Please note that taking Lactaid is not sufficent to allow IBSers to consume dairy, because the proteins in dairy are also difficult for IBSers to handle.)

My impression is that one of the ways people think you may get SIBO is by taking antibiotics - they disrupt the balance of bacteria in your gut.

Please discuss all this with your doctor. And please be sure to Search these Boards for BadlyDrawnBoy's experience. He did not do very well and I would want my doctor to reassure me I would do better.

Have you checked any of the other IBS support Boards to see if people there have information about SIBO? The only one I can think of right now is IBSGroup.org - they seem to have a lively Board community. I can't speak to their accuracy - I rarely read them.

Last, but not least, I want to restate my previous caveat: if and only if I was not getting relief from the EFI Diet plus Acacia, I would be in my doctor's office asking for a SIBO test. But I would be very cautious about pursuing aggressive antibiotic treatment for it unless I understood far, far more about it than I currently do. I would definitely try just probiotics first. (I know you've tried the EFI Diet and tried probiotics, Naturapanic, so this is more for anyone else who stumbles across this post.)

Good luck with all of this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review