All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: How did you get IBS? POLL new
      #260229 - 04/26/06 02:11 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you do a search, you'll find this poll has been done before on this message board. As I recall, there were lots of interesting responses.

Based on what I read the last time it was done, you need to add the following key categories:

- Stomach flu/virus
- Dieting/Diet Pills
- Hereditary factors
- Born that way

There may be more, I just can't think of them now!

I was born with IBS, or else I developed it soon after birth. I was C-predominant until I was about 30 than I became an A and then shortly after I became D-predominant.

I may be the longest-serving member of the IBS elite on this board because I've now had IBS for a grand total of 48 years! (In fact, that reminds me ... I had better update my profile because I recently had a birthday!)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Stress related, started as child (both the stresses and the IBS). I'm a spasming C. nt new
      #260231 - 04/26/06 02:21 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#260235 - 04/26/06 02:46 PM
nanashr

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Ohio

I have always had stomach problems growing up, but in I had 5 very stressful years dealing with a sudden divorce of my parents and my dad being extremely depressed and at times suicidal. When my dad finally came out of the depression I had some what of a nervous break-down having panic attacks and that's when my IBS-D started. The panic attacks are gone, but the IBS stuck with me.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy - IBS-D

Post-infective IBS.... new
      #260237 - 04/26/06 02:50 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

thats what the doctor says...had serious gastroenteritus and have never recovered...or more my bowels have never been the same since!

--------------------
Natalie

#260258 - 04/26/06 04:03 PM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

IBS-d for me

Mine started when I was finishing up a 2nd cycle of steroids. Hindsight is always 20/20 because knowing what would have happened, never would have done them.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

Re: Beth, What's the difference between Anorexia and Bulimia....and can you.. new
      #260266 - 04/26/06 04:38 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

get both at the same time? -Bob

You know, I don't know if they necessarily diagnose someone as having both Anorexia and Bulimia at the same time, I think they sometimes just lump the bulimia in and call it "Anorexia- Purging type", but either way. I had anorexia and then bulimia(they frequently go hand in hand). As you can see from the responces, eating disorders really mess up your digestive system The people who have them do want to be underweight usually, but the real reasons behind it is that it's a way to cope with things you're unable to deal with. Obviously a bad way to cope though!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Beth, What's the difference between Anorexia and Bulimia....and can you.. new
      #260286 - 04/26/06 06:27 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think it helps to think of the anorexia/bulimia split like IBS-C and -D: it's a very basic way of categorizing. Not everyone with an ED will fall neatly into one category, but basically, anorexics restrict calories, while bulimics will ingest calories - and may ingest a huge amount in a small period of time, called a "binge" - and then "purge" those unwanted calories through induced vomiting, zealous exercise, or laxative use.

I have also now heard of a third category - "bulimarexia'. This might be equivalent to the IBS-A category! It's where a person exhibits symptoms of both anorexia and bulimia at the same time. So, for example, someone who eats extremely little or nothing at all for several days, then breaks the fast with a large binge of several thousand calories, which is subsequently purged.

All of these disorders are, of course, about far more than attempts to control one's weight. They are maladaptive mechanisms for coping with life, much like addictions. The classic expression about EDs is they begin as a means of feeling in control, and they end up controlling you. At least, that's my experience of it.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#260298 - 04/26/06 07:11 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I don't know for sure but in addition to being high-stress most of my life, I got an intestinal infection while living in Mexico. I was very sick...lost 12 lbs. (that I didn't need to lose at the time). They put me on meds and I started vomiting. Had it going from both ends! Finally got some other meds but I remember really liking spicy foods before that. Can't handle them now. This is only my guess....

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#260361 - 04/27/06 08:13 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I first recognized that I had IBS-C was right after my midterms freshman year (my first real big tests). Then after midterms, I got worse and had to see a doctor. I have been far from the same since then. So...yeah.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Stress + pneumonia when I was 6 (i'm a D) -nt- new
      #260376 - 04/27/06 08:53 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 718 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21203

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review