All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Any advice for tension headaches?
      #258941 - 04/19/06 10:57 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For the past couple of months I have been getting more and more headaches. Basically now I wake up with it and it lasts all day, every single day. It is not a migraine. It feels like tension in my temples and a dull ache all over the crown of my head. Tylenol and the like seem to do nothing for it. I drink TONS of liquids and can't think of any other obvious causes.

I went to my doctor yesterday. She said these are tension headaches, and not easily treated by medication (hmm, now where have I heard that before..) She recommended a big cup of coffee (!!!) with 3 advils. Um, hello, I have IBS, remember? She also said these headaches are best dealt with through non-drug means -ie. massage, chiropractor, using a buckwheat pillow on my shoulders.. I can't afford the first two right now. Will try the pillow toay.

Can anyone advice of something that might give me some relief? Honestly, the headaches are getting to the point where the IBS seems almost secondary. I said almost.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any advice for tension headaches? new
      #258946 - 04/19/06 11:07 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

A big cup of coffee and how about a couple of shots of Jack Daniels while you're at it! I was at the GI doctor the other day and he told me to start eating anything I want. lol....doctors just don't have a clue with regards to IBS.

What does your diet look like and are you IBS-C or IBS-D?

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#258953 - 04/19/06 11:30 AM
renee21

I'm IBS-C... I guess. I've never really identified with any of the categories. I am more IBS-B - bloating, gas and cramping is my daily deal.
I am following Heather's EFI diet. I take a SFS, eat SF with my IF, no red meat, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, etc. Also I eat wheat-free.

--------------------

#258960 - 04/19/06 11:37 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I've got the exact same thing that you have. Can you list the foods that you eat?

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#258970 - 04/19/06 12:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've had these a lot. Tylenol never helped me either and I definitely can't take Ibuprofen or drink coffee because of IBS. Plus, I would be concerned that withdrawal from caffeine would just cause more headaches and using Ibuprofen too often may result in rebound headaches.

Really hot, steamy showers have provided the best relief for me, especially when the tension headaches come with a stiff neck and shoulders. I'll also have a cup of strong chamomile tea (two bags instead of one).

HTH and that you're feeling better soon.

#258988 - 04/19/06 01:35 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

How much water do you drink? I know I was really skeptical about how drinking more water would really help. It wasn't until my husband challenged me. Within days, my headaches (tension) were going away. I was amazed. That's tapered off now and my headaches are coming back. I just don't like to drink water and I always forget (I don't get thirsty).

But give it a try...seriously, up the intake. You may just be dehydrated. I'm sure I was for years.

Good luck!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#259011 - 04/19/06 02:59 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Maybe it's a sinus infection that moved to the back of your head...? I'm just getting over one and I had these very painful annoying headaches for months that just wouldn't got away (I had them near my forehead and the back of my head), no matter what I took. I found that steaming my head (literally) helps with the headaches that I got. I just boil some water in a pot and put a towel over my head (to keep the steam in longer) and over the pot and just breath in the steam for about 10-15 minutes. I know it sounds weird, but it really helped me! I had to do it a couple of times to see any significant difference, though. Hope this helps!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#259056 - 04/19/06 07:19 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Renee, I get both tension and migraines. Sometimes, not always, inhaling rosemary oil, available at some HFS, helps me. I sit and inhale it, pure, for a half hour or so. It help shrink the vessels in your sinuses and face which are causing the throbbing pain. I've also soaked my feet in a hot bath 15 mintues or so, then so lie down with an ice pack on my forehead and snooze for a couple of hours. Depending on the day one or the other helps me, but like I said, not always. Good luck, headaches are AWEFUL, especially on top of IBS!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

The foods I eat.... new
      #259075 - 04/19/06 09:32 PM
renee21

Honestly, I don't think the headaches are food-related, but here's the basic diet:
Grains: oats, rice products, quinoa
Fruit: bananas, mangos, papayas, avocados, berries, figs, dates, dried cranberries, applesauce
Vegs: Squashes, yams, potatoes, leafy greens - arugula, spinach, kale, chard - carrots, artichokes, mushrooms, asparagus, sprouts, beets...
Protein: egg whites, fish (salmon, halibut), chicken (white meat), tofu, soy milk, soy yoghurt, almonds, almond butter
Other: ground-up flax and pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, maple syrup, honey, dijon mustard, vinegars, olive oil, flax oil, yolk-less light mayo, bragg's soy sauce...
Teas: fennel, peppermint, ginger
Supplements: SFS (recently switched from acacia to FibreSmart), calcium citrate, fish oil capsules, a multivitamin, valerian, st. john's wort, artichoke extract
And last but not least: a bit of dark chocolate every day!

--------------------

Thanks for your feedback, everyone!
      #259076 - 04/19/06 09:36 PM
renee21

You've given me food for thought and some things to try, i.e. steaming, hot showers, cool compresses. I haven't really tried any temperature-based therapy but it makes sense. And the rosemary oil, too, sounds interesting.

I will try to drink more fluid but I feel like I drink A TON of tea everday already. In fact, it's getting to be a problem as I drink so much in the evenings that I'm up once or twice in the night to go to the bathroom.

Thanks again!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 44369

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review