Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ab CT Scan - Contrast junk - SCARED!!
      #258831 - 04/19/06 12:37 AM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Hey guys,

I'm an IBS-C'er (we think...test will finalize Dx) & Dr. prescribed me an Abdominal/Pelvic CT Scan. I've already had every other test they could do - this one is it - and what a test to end on. I have some a fear about this test that hopefully someone(s) can help me with.

I'm REALLY nervous about that contrast solution that they will make me take. I had a Small Bowel Follow Thru & had the DISTINCT pleasure (sarcasm!) of sipping a Barium smoothie. Lovely. Got one 16oz. cup down with little issue & that was enough, thankfully. Problem was, aftereffects of Barium was supposed to be constipation - but I got D (white!!!! how fun) and cramping about 1.5 hrs after the test was done. It eventually flipped back to C same day & continued (expected) a while. Did enjoy the white poop tho. Very unique.

Here's my issue - I have to ingest TONS more contrast solution for the CT scan. SIX CUPS of that crap. Normally they give iodine, but I got them to allow me the Redi-Cat Barium smoothie stuff again if I want it that day. I'd heard horror stories about the iodine's affects on people who were NORMAL GI tract folks,, thus my choice for barium again. I'm scared of the after-affects tho. I don't want to have this large amount of contrast to trigger another all-out terrible attack. If I had cramping/D with ONE cup of barium, what the h** will SIX do to me???!

What have been your experiences with the Ab CT & the contrast solutions? I have an extreme phobia to throwing up (I'm weird), and the D thing also freaks me out (too similar to the stomach bug, which I'm terrified of - again, I need professional help I think). Thus, I'm really not looking forward to this procedure, as simple as I know it is.

Can I get some input here? A quorum? Majority wins - more votes for Barium, I go Barium. More for iodine, I'll give that a try. Cast your vote!

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ab CT Scan - Contrast junk - SCARED!! new
      #258858 - 04/19/06 05:58 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Wow, I'm sorry this is scaring you so much. Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience with either of those solutions,so I can't offer you any advice. But, I can tell you you are not alone with the vomit/diarrhea phobia thing. I have that fear as well. You are lucky you're IBS-C! I'm more IBS-D and get sooo nervous when i have an attack because i'm always afraid I will throw up, even though it has never happened. I had food poisoning once and I had very bad D followed by vomiting. I keep reliving that night and dreading that it will happen again. The only thing you can really do is try to tell yourself that you are fine and nothing is going to happen. It is tough though, I know.

--------------------
Kim

I had a CT scan last Summer and drank two bottles of that horrid (m) new
      #258860 - 04/19/06 06:05 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

stuff. I already had severe D and the contrast made it much worse and I didn't think I'd get through the scan w/o jumping off and going to the bathroom. Is there anyway you can just get the IV contrast w/o taking the barium? I know they sometimes want both to get optimum pictures. I type radiology studies for work and I know that sometimes studies just with IV contrast are very effective.

I don't know if everyone has the same reactions to barium each time they take it. I might have had such a strong reaction b/c I was already D.

I'd discuss it with your doctor and see what he says. I had to chug that stuff to get it down. I found the slower I drank, the worse it was. ACK!

Good luck!
Sandy

Let me clarify again after reading your post again (m) new
      #258863 - 04/19/06 06:10 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

when you say iodine do you mean the IV contrast? I had no reaction to that at all. I know some are allergic to the contrast and it makes them itch or break out in hives. If you have no known allergies, I'd give it a try. I had to have both the IV and oral but like I mentioned in the other post, maybe you can get by with just the IV.

Sandy

Re: Ab CT Scan - Contrast junk - SCARED!! new
      #259014 - 04/19/06 03:18 PM
crohns101

Reged: 04/14/06

i spent about 15 days in the hospital last year when they were trying to diagnose me with crohn's.....i had about 5 CT scans in a month.....the first time i had the barium...i was having trouble keeping anything down so they gave me what they called a quick prep.....they mix a powder with gatorade....they always brought it with orange, but after i got to know the techs they let me bring my own flavor to mix....you drink it the morning of your CT scan....it's so much better....some say it's not the most thorough prep, but i think it's best for people with conditions like ours...good luck

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2661 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review