All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Protein Shakes? To Do or Not To Do?
      #258734 - 04/18/06 01:02 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Has anyone had success with gaining weight from Protein Shakes? I'm thinking about either trying soy ones or rice ones (don't know if there are other safe ones besides those). Does anyone have any suggestions they could lend me? Thanks!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein Shakes? To Do or Not To Do? new
      #258750 - 04/18/06 02:25 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Ha. I'm trying to lose weight with protein shakes. I'm trying to cut down on carbs (not because I subscribe to all the Atkins nonsense, but because I have no self-control when it comes to carbs, and protein is more filling). Anyway I use Naturade Veg Protein and I buy it at Wholefoods. It's about 15 bucks a can. I have no problems with it. I usually make a shake with ice, water, the protein powder, a few teaspoons of acacia, some instant espresso (bad girl, I know), some cocoa powder, and splenda (I know, bad again, but I'm super stable so it's been okay). Since you're trying to gain weight you could make the smoothies with fruit juice, sugar, even peanut butter. It could be more of lunchtime shake with avocado and banana. Mmmm. Wish I were trying to gain. Sigh. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#258752 - 04/18/06 02:49 PM
Life.Is.Random

Thanks! I'm sort of stable now, but I still don't have much of an appetite yet. I feel full all the time, too. Thanks for the info, though! I appreciate it!!!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C

#258849 - 04/19/06 04:41 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I was trying to gain wait to, at one point. I found that the carbs of this IBS diet have helped me gain 5 lbs! I drink Boost, which I know isn't good for everyone, but I'm okay with it. It helps give me energy I need. I'd try the protein shakes, can't hurt any.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#259030 - 04/19/06 04:13 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Protein shakes can be really good for gaining weight for some because you can kind of "trick" your brain into drinking a lot more calories than you could if you were eating them. Like Amanda said, throw as much as you can into those shakes - fruit, nuts and nutbutters, etc.

Just be sure to stay away from dairy (whey) protein powders (as I'm sure you know)... and stay away from those prepackaged "weight gainer" drinks - most of them are just carbs and chemicals and yucky stuff, and most of them have dairy anyway. I've used soy protein powders in the past without any problems

#259046 - 04/19/06 06:34 PM
Life.Is.Random

Thanks for all of your suggestions!!! I will definitely try all them!!!!!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review