All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is this for real? I keep asking myself
      #258718 - 04/18/06 12:01 PM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

I feel like I'm going crazy here... I was diagnosed with IBS D C last year. I do good for a while. But now I'm back having IBS attacks - as I call them. It makes me question myself all the time. I try to tell myself to get over it... but I know it's not going to happen because that's not even a logical response. Every time I have a bm, I "feel" like vomitting.. all I do is gag and cough...my eyes water and nose runs as I'm hovered over the waste basket...

I'm just angry right now..

--Val

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this for real? I keep asking myself new
      #258724 - 04/18/06 12:17 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

sorry to hear your having such a bad time. Are you on a SFS? have you read the info on this board? alot of us get nasea, some vomiting too. do a search, maybe you can find out more. hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#258784 - 04/18/06 05:51 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Are you following Heather's diet? (This means the general diet, not the short-term What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything one.) Are you getting any exercise? Have you tried any of the herbal teas recommended here? A SFS? How about the hypno CDs?

Your symptoms are very common - I've had 'em. Take a look around the site and start trying some of the things discussed here. For a lot of us, they've worked miracles!

--AC

#258788 - 04/18/06 05:57 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I tell myself all the time that I can just suck it up & live a normal life... like I can will my body into functioning. And I actually believe myself sometimes. It does make you feel crazy. Its an unsolvable puzzle...everyday it seems.

#258795 - 04/18/06 07:06 PM
Valerie A.

I've been following Heather's Break the Cycle -- plain pasta, potatoes, honeycomb..and lots of water, since this past Friday.. It seems to bother me more when I'm at work. I take psyllium fiber, nexium, zoloft, and welbutrin. I eliminated the Caltrate D pill.. thinking that may be a trigger... I ordered Heather's FS and fennel tea today.. People at work tell me to think positively..not to think about my tummy aches.. I just found the hypno cd's on here today.. ohhh.. I do water aerobics 2xs a week.. Next my work schedule will change so I can go to the Y in the mornings before work.. I've been going after work.. I'm also trying to use my faith and prayer. I journal all the time.. my family, co-workers, and friends who are trying to be supportive.. don't really understand I just can't suck it up... I'm also coming to terms with it's really something I'll be living with for the rest of my life - most likely..
--Val

#258815 - 04/18/06 08:46 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Val stay on the diet, not just the "break the cycle" part but all of it. Your friends do not have a clue what having IBS is like unless they have it. It isn't their fault, they just don't know. Until I found Heather's web site I felt totally helpless and hopeless. Your symptoms will improve if you do what she says to the T...Good luck and hang in, it does work give it time.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

"suck it up" vs. acceptance new
      #258894 - 04/19/06 08:37 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've found (and maybe this is just me!) that's there's a world of difference between "just suck it up" and "accept IBS as part of me". "Sucking it up" worked just fine until I would have an attack, and then not only was I sick from the IBS, but I was angry at myself for not just dealing with it. It's not a pretty combination when your IBS is anxiety and stress triggered!

After hanging out here and doing the diet and yoga and hypno and teas and all that jazz, I'm at a different point which looks a lot like what I was trying to do when I told myself to "suck it up". My attacks are fewer and milder, and I go back to my normal diet within hours instead of weeks. The difference is that I accept that I have IBS. Because I have IBS, I eat differently. Because I have IBS, I manage my stress instead of trying (and failing) to blow it off. And because I have IBS, I don't freak out when I have an attack - I just do all the things I know I need to do to get over it as smoothly and comfortably as possible. The result, amazingly enough, is that I look a lot like those "normal" people who poop every day and go back to eating their regular food right after a D attack. (In the past, I ate nothing but bread and flat Coke for a week after any sort of attack!)

It may seem like a subtle point, but it was an important one for me. Being a perfectionist with my belly only brought me a cranky and rebellious belly. Accepting my sensitive gut (along with my too-short legs, prematurely gray hair, and other bodily imperfections) brings a lot more peace, both in the bathroom and in the rest of my life.

--AC, philsophical this am

Re: "suck it up" vs. acceptance new
      #258906 - 04/19/06 09:22 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

AC I love your post. What a great way to live this crazy life with IBS!
Thanks.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Re: "suck it up" vs. acceptance new
      #258932 - 04/19/06 09:59 AM
Valerie A.

I get very anxious whenever I have to go poop. I'm so afraid I'll get sick.

Thank you so much for your post. I've been really encouraged by everyone's support and ideas. Thanks soo soo much...

Today I brought my cross-stitching with me to work on during my lunch break. It felt good to get away from my desk and relax with that. I have to find a more private spot though...

God Bless..
Val

I agree, excellent post AC! new
      #259028 - 04/19/06 04:05 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

It may seem like a subtle point, but it was an important one for me.

It was definitely an important point for me too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review