All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Yes, I have asked new
      #258976 - 04/19/06 12:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...and he keeps saying no...or later. My last GI told me the same thing.

Neither of them believe in the philosophy of this diet (No offense to Heather...their words not mine)! They both think that any food can be a trigger...and that one food may not necessarily cause a problem everytime. It's "the act" of eating...not the food.

I have no clue what one single trigger food is for me. I see no pattern to my pain level and C and my food selection. Do you know your triggers? How did you do it???

The Citrucel labeled Juice Smoothie or Clear has no flavor...no orange, so it should be okay for you.

I'm not sold on the SFS because I have read lots or testimonials from other IBSers and from my doctors and from books that advise that for some, SFS makes the symptoms worse. Especially the bloat, cramps, gas, and pain. IBS-C people rated it pretty low for effectiveness. My doctor doesn't recommend it either. Says it is increasing my already bad gas/bloat. Who knows. I hate that we are all different. Makes this so hard to figure out.

I thought you were taking Citrucel 5x a day? How many caplets do you take a day? I'm at one scoop in AM and 2 caplets before lunch and then dinner for a total of 4 grams fiber. I just use it as a little cushion but don't expect it's helping BM frequency....thus, the Miralax I'm on!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yes, I have asked new
      #259103 - 04/20/06 05:48 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Man, that's something. It's almost like they're unwilling to help you. So, what do they suggest? Have you tried maybe eating veggies & say, bread for a few days? I find the more veggies I eat, the easier time I have going. But you will need to have some buffer like bread.
As for my finding my trigger foods, some just came by mistakes. I find that citrus doesn't sit well with me. Milk is a no- no for sure, I'm allergic to soy, which I found out by drinking some & later breaking into a rash. I'm even scared to try almond milk. And lately, my pretzels are giving me slight cramps! I'm backing off them & that stinks, cuz I've always LOVED pretzels! I'm finding wheat is funny with me too. Once I feel sme cramping coming on, I'm done with that food! It's a long process.
I take 8-10 capsels a day of Citrecell. I go to my new GI today, so I'm going to ask him to run some tests for allergies & see if shouldn't switch to a powder SFS.
I hope you find what the problem is & someone who is willing to help you. ((HUGS)).

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: Yes, I have asked new
      #259140 - 04/20/06 07:24 AM
Augie

They suggest I eat whatever I want and to see a psychologist.

I'm not eating gluten so, I guess I could try GF bread and veggies. How many veggies do you eat in a day? What kinds? And you eat white bread only, right?

Have you been tested for celiac or gluten intolerance? You say you have a hard time with wheat and pretzels. Or is that only whole wheat? I'm like you...if I read bad things about a food, or have one bad experience with the food, I am hesitant to eat it again. But when you have pain everyday, it gets you into nutritional trouble.

Let me know how it goes with you doc...Good luck...hope he/she listens. I'm curious to see how he is going to react to the food allergy request. Most of the literature I've read says that IBS people have intolerances...not true allergies...so I've been reluctant to spend more money on tests that may not help. But hey, at least we would have peace of mind about the true allergy. But that still leaves the possibility of an intolerance.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: veggies new
      #259151 - 04/20/06 07:52 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Well, today I have eaten:

1 english muffin (light, multi-grain) 8grms of fiber, with All fruit spread.
Applesauce (warm) with milled flaxseed

Peppermint tea

Strawberry Boost

4 peanut butter & cheese crackers, & 5 strawberries...we'll see how well that goes over with the tummy.

I'll have a 1/2 apple later too.

For lunch I have:

2 sm. pc of chicken,
well cooked greenbeans & peas
white rice
chick peas w/ itailian dressing

Yestday I ate: (fruits & veggies)
1/2 apple,
chick peas,
mashed potatoes,
carrots,
green beans

I ate other things too, but that was it for veggies & such.
Yeah, I would only eat French, or sourdough bread if I were you. They're safe.
I haven't been tested for gluten or celiac yet. I hope to though.
No, I've been having a hard time with regular pretzels I think too. Either that, or my tummy is rebelling from having the same thing for toooo long.?
We'll see. I'll let you know how the GI appt goes!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Clynn...what the doc say... new
      #260130 - 04/26/06 06:55 AM
Augie

...about Triphala? Is it safe long term? How much per day?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Clynn...what the doc say... new
      #260131 - 04/26/06 06:58 AM
clynn

Reged: 04/18/06

My appt. is on May 16th, so unfortunately we have to wait and see... I will be sure to let you all know...oh i hope its good news! ...its a pants unbuttoned day here again ugggg!!!!!

Re: Do a search on triphala new
      #261809 - 05/05/06 09:01 AM
jewels

Reged: 05/03/06
Loc: southern California

hi there! I have taken triphala and had good results.....never became dependent. The brand I was taking (found them in a health food type of store) were very large pills and thus require LOTS of water to wash them down. I felt a little bloated with all that water and definitly notice a straw like consistency in my poop ;o). Felt good though! Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11987

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review