All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone Heard of Super Cleanse?? It's been a miracle for me--is it safe?
      #258609 - 04/18/06 06:29 AM
clynn

Reged: 04/18/06

I have been IBS-C for 7 years now and have not been diciplined enough to stick to the diet as i should. I've read a lot about different colon cleansers and when to whole foods about a week ago and picked one at random. it is called 'Super Cleanse' i took the pills at night like it said, and seriously each day since i have had a BM. I have no bloating and feel normal for the first time in years!!!!!!!!!! i am wondering if anyone else has tried this and also wondering if there is any danger in taking this. it says its 'all natural'. It contains a lot of different roots (something like ?casaba? is the main one)and licorice ?extract? ---don't have the bottle with me now to list, sorry!!

Will my bowels get dependant on this? Is it unhealthy to take?

I don't want to give it up, i FINALLY feel normal. any experiences from any of you with this?

Thank you so very much for any info!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone Heard of Super Cleanse?? It's been a miracle for me--is it safe? new
      #258617 - 04/18/06 06:59 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Where did you get it?? I'm very interested in trying it for myself. How long ago did you take it?? Did you get it online, or at a healthfood store or something? Is it a laxative?

#258629 - 04/18/06 07:09 AM
clynn

I got it at whole foods market (a grocery store that sells a lot of different herbal remedies also). It was $16 a bottle for 100 capsules. I am amazed by how it has essentially made me normal. But like i said in my post I am also scared that it is something my colon will get dependant on...

I have just started decreasing the dosage and am trying to see if it still works.

I just googled it, here is one sight that carries it:
http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/70209
could anyone tell me if they know if any of the ingrediants are harmful?

Please do a search on cleanses... new
      #258630 - 04/18/06 07:09 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...and read the boards (not just the message board). Cleanses have been brought up so often...and all of them say it is not good! Including the "natural? ingredients in yours. Here's one article on the effects of these ingredients. web page

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yes, you will become dependent on it... new
      #258632 - 04/18/06 07:12 AM
Augie

...it causes cathartic colon and you will need more and more to keep going. Please don't mess up yours system more with these. They just cause the bowels to stop functioning.

--------------------
~ Beth

#258634 - 04/18/06 07:13 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I was on someting called Super Colon Cleanse for a while, & I felt the same way! It was great & All natural too. But I read on these boards that we shouldn't take them, can't remember why. Anyway, I got off it,after 2yrs. & got on a SFS. Do a search on it, I'm sure it'll tell you why these are cosidered unsafe.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

I thought it was too good to be true...UGGGGG new
      #258639 - 04/18/06 07:19 AM
clynn

So disappointed... its been so good to feel 'normal'...sigh.....

Would even taking it say once a week to promote one BM per week be harmful? I would assume yes but grasping at straws here...

thanks for all of your input!!!

I know, it's so disappointing... new
      #258655 - 04/18/06 08:05 AM
Augie

...and so tempting to keep taking something that is immediately helping you!

I have a bottle of Cascara Sagrada in my cabinet (bought before I read the info on the boards)...and I still haven't thrown it out. I haven't taken one in probably a year....but keep holding onto the bottle.

I honestly don't know if taking it once in a while would be okay. I've heard some say yes and some say no.

Have you tried Miralax? It's a safe, prescription osmotic laxative that you can take for life. I am currently having to resort to that...but it does help keep me going when nothing else "safe" will. It does cause gas and bloating though. For me at least....but so does everything safe.

I would be curious to hear what others have to say about taking it once a week or so. Is that how little you go? Only once a week? Do you have IBS or plain constipation?

--------------------
~ Beth

Kiwi? new
      #258656 - 04/18/06 08:06 AM
Augie

what dose of SFS are you up to? Or have you stabalized on? Still taking Citrucel caplets?

--------------------
~ Beth

Safe to take once a week? new
      #258662 - 04/18/06 08:13 AM
clynn

Yes it is so disappointing!! I have IBS-C, I get extrememly bloated and usually have a BM once a week...thats why i was so exstatic about this stuff, right now i sit here and i have no pain.. sigh...

i usually can't go all week and then when i do it is one day when i go like 3 times because there is so much in there! i quit smoking awhile a go and thats made it even harder to go, the smoking actually used to help make things move. Now, i am avoiding lung cancer, but looks like if i take super cleanse i am heading toward colon cancer.... sigh again....

i haven't been to my gastro since diagnosis, i should go and ask about the miralax...

unless of course it is okay to take the super cleanse once a week or so....

Re: Kiwi? new
      #258667 - 04/18/06 08:22 AM
Kiwii

I'm up to 5x day, & not stable anymore. I'm having trouble going again. My BF & I were out Sunday morning at breakfast, & I wasn't feeling well, & started crying right at the table. I'm trying to keep my mind about this. Maybe it's time to try a new SFS, like powder? I go to see my new GI on Thurs., so I'm trying not to panic. I know I'm doing alot of things right, so I think I will ask him to test me for food allergies, & I printed out that list that says we should get certain things ruled out before going with an IBS diagnosis. I may have to start from squre 1 again, but ti will be worth it.
How ae you doing? Sounds like you're still hurting. Any doc appts coming up?

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Sorry to hear this new
      #258675 - 04/18/06 08:33 AM
Augie

Make me wonder if some people just always will have problems.

It couldn't hurt to try a powder. In one of Heather's books she wrote that powders tend to work better, for some reason. Or, increase the amount of caplets you take at one time. How many do you take at once? If you are only taking 2, then you are still only at 5 grams fiber.

It's weird that this worked for you right after the cleanse (when I would think your body would be less reactive to it...and more dependent on the cleanse).

Yep, I'm still hurting bad. No doc appointments scheduled either. All they say anyway is to see a shrink and eat what I want. Oh, and to take my Miralax.

I'm just about done wasting my time and money on this advice I get from 4 different GIs now, over the years.

--------------------
~ Beth

#258679 - 04/18/06 08:46 AM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

Clynn, I tried this also and it worked great in the beginning for but then it stopped. My dr. doesnt recc. any colon cleansers and I have tried many and they do not work. I m sorry to say I havent found the magic formula yet.

Re: I know, it's so disappointing... new
      #258687 - 04/18/06 09:26 AM
Alli

Same with me, Augie. No matter what I eat I still get bloated. Sometimes in the mornings I wake up witout any bloating, but when I eat a peice of safe bread or something, it comes right back. Extremely frusterating.

Re: Augie, so... new
      #258689 - 04/18/06 09:28 AM
Kiwii

what did your results say from your colonoscopy? Have you had any food allergy testing done? There's got to be something amiss here. I'm frustrated for you.
Yeah it is strange that it worked right after the cleanse, but is slowly decreasing it's effeciency now. I know powders work well for me, so maybe I'll give Heathers a shot.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

what to try first new
      #258698 - 04/18/06 10:13 AM
tjcanaba

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: nm

I really enjoy all of your postings. What do you think I should try first? I am IBS, at first it was IBS-D and after I started taking fiber supplements, such as benefiber and fiberchoice-It seems to be IBS-C mainly, with still a strong urgency feeling. I just hate the feeling. HELP with ideas! Thanks,, Tony

#258706 - 04/18/06 11:12 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Quote:

Same with me, Augie. No matter what I eat I still get bloated. Sometimes in the mornings I wake up witout any bloating, but when I eat a peice of safe bread or something, it comes right back. Extremely frusterating.

This describes me to a "T". I want to rip my intestines out!My current GI has me on Zelnorm for life. I want a second opinion and more tests, so I made an appointment with another GI for May 11.

Feeling hopeful.

--------------------
~jules

Re: Safe to take once a week? new
      #258730 - 04/18/06 12:41 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Have you tried flaxseed oil capsules or flaxseed meal? I take the capsules and they work wonders on my constipation. If you do try it, I'd be careful on how many you take, because the fat content could bother your stomach. Hope this helps!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#258731 - 04/18/06 12:49 PM
clynn

Yeah, I have tried the flax seed, use it still everyday but no results really. Thank you though, I am ALWAYS open to try new ANY things!!

#258732 - 04/18/06 12:51 PM
Life.Is.Random

Geez...this is exactly how I feel at least once a week!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C

#258733 - 04/18/06 12:57 PM
Life.Is.Random

Have you ever heard of "Triphala"? It's this Indian herbal rememedy that helps with getting the digestive system functioning again, and it's SUPPOSEDLY non-addictive. Even though colon-cleansers aren't recommended, I'm thinking about trying it, because it's actually helpful and good for the digestive tract. And it could supposedly be used for life...

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C

Triphala 'laxative' new
      #258736 - 04/18/06 01:34 PM
clynn

I found this:
http://www.planetherbs.com/articles/triphala.html
interesting. let me know how it works for you, i may have to try it. supposedly its not addictive for the colon...i will do some more research... thanks!!!!!!

ps made an appt. with my Dr. today, i will ask about it when i go!

Re: Triphala 'laxative' new
      #258746 - 04/18/06 02:10 PM
Life.Is.Random

If you don't mind, could you tell me what your doctor thinks of "Triphala"? I haven't seen my doctor in ages, because he's been so busy... Oh well. Good Luck!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C

Re: Triphala 'laxative' new
      #258787 - 04/18/06 05:55 PM
Alli

Yes, please update us! Please make a post about it or something. I would love to find a product to help me find/maintain stability. I hope it will work. It seems to be a laxative, but it states that it is not dependant as it does not effect the liver or gall bladder? ie: a 'healthier' approach to laxatives.

#258789 - 04/18/06 06:00 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Its main ingredient is cascara sagrada... i've heard this is VERY addictive to your bowels & can be very damaging. I used to use that cleanse (boy did my a*s reek!!) ... and I'm sure I used it for too long. I think in the long run it hurt me. I don't recommend it.

Do a search on triphala new
      #258790 - 04/18/06 06:24 PM
Augie

It's been discussed a lot. Some people on the board are currently taking it.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Augie, so... new
      #258859 - 04/19/06 05:59 AM
Augie

My last colonoscopy was done over 5 years ago...but it was normal. I think I should have an updated one as my symptoms have changed, but my doc disagrees.

I have had no food allergy testing done. Again, none of my doctors believe that IBS has anything to do with food selection. They think it is just the reaction of the body to any food that is haywire. I am so confused.

If you like citrucel...you can buy that in the powder form. I am currently using the "clear" form which is now labeled "fruit smoothie" I think....but it's the same ingredients. They changed the name to promote it as a powder to add to juice because it has no taste...although it does taste (good) to me. I don't take that much though. I also take the caplets...to avoid some of the extra sugar. I only take 4 grams fiber worth total for the day. I'm afraid any more will just bloat me up and give me more gas. I'm not so "sold" on SFS for everyone...especially the bloaters and gassy guses. Too bad...because I could use the fiber and the SF cushion.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Do a search on triphala new
      #258868 - 04/19/06 06:25 AM
clynn

I did a search and nothing came up...

I will definitely post here what my dr. says about triphala. My appt. isn't until May16th but I will be sure to post any news!...oh,i miss my super cleanse already, didn't take them last night and back to bloated and pants unbuttoned...bla!

Are you changing the date range? new
      #258875 - 04/19/06 06:46 AM
Augie

...from the past month to "all posts"? I just did a search this way and came up with heaps of posts. Here's one that may help. Triphala

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: that's something else... new
      #258883 - 04/19/06 08:03 AM
Kiwii

Have you asked him to do another colonoscopy, since your symptoms have changed? You need to convince him. Something is wrong, & you're the paiteint, so they need to do something! Have you showed him the book from Heather, or your food diary? Do you know any of your triggers? Tell them, they need to know, even if you have to be forceful about it. They're just people, who, though educated, may not know.

I didn't know they had a clear flavor of Citricell. I thought they did, but could never find it. Thanx, I'll be looking for that! I hate to go back to a powder, but if it works...I'm just scared it'll upset my tummy again. I think it was the orange flavor that did it, so maybe this will be better! I'll try it!
So, why aren't you sold on the SFS thing? How many times do you take citricell? I used to take it 2x a day.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Yes, I have asked new
      #258976 - 04/19/06 12:47 PM
Augie

...and he keeps saying no...or later. My last GI told me the same thing.

Neither of them believe in the philosophy of this diet (No offense to Heather...their words not mine)! They both think that any food can be a trigger...and that one food may not necessarily cause a problem everytime. It's "the act" of eating...not the food.

I have no clue what one single trigger food is for me. I see no pattern to my pain level and C and my food selection. Do you know your triggers? How did you do it???

The Citrucel labeled Juice Smoothie or Clear has no flavor...no orange, so it should be okay for you.

I'm not sold on the SFS because I have read lots or testimonials from other IBSers and from my doctors and from books that advise that for some, SFS makes the symptoms worse. Especially the bloat, cramps, gas, and pain. IBS-C people rated it pretty low for effectiveness. My doctor doesn't recommend it either. Says it is increasing my already bad gas/bloat. Who knows. I hate that we are all different. Makes this so hard to figure out.

I thought you were taking Citrucel 5x a day? How many caplets do you take a day? I'm at one scoop in AM and 2 caplets before lunch and then dinner for a total of 4 grams fiber. I just use it as a little cushion but don't expect it's helping BM frequency....thus, the Miralax I'm on!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Yes, I have asked new
      #259103 - 04/20/06 05:48 AM
Kiwii

Man, that's something. It's almost like they're unwilling to help you. So, what do they suggest? Have you tried maybe eating veggies & say, bread for a few days? I find the more veggies I eat, the easier time I have going. But you will need to have some buffer like bread.
As for my finding my trigger foods, some just came by mistakes. I find that citrus doesn't sit well with me. Milk is a no- no for sure, I'm allergic to soy, which I found out by drinking some & later breaking into a rash. I'm even scared to try almond milk. And lately, my pretzels are giving me slight cramps! I'm backing off them & that stinks, cuz I've always LOVED pretzels! I'm finding wheat is funny with me too. Once I feel sme cramping coming on, I'm done with that food! It's a long process.
I take 8-10 capsels a day of Citrecell. I go to my new GI today, so I'm going to ask him to run some tests for allergies & see if shouldn't switch to a powder SFS.
I hope you find what the problem is & someone who is willing to help you. ((HUGS)).

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: Yes, I have asked new
      #259140 - 04/20/06 07:24 AM
Augie

They suggest I eat whatever I want and to see a psychologist.

I'm not eating gluten so, I guess I could try GF bread and veggies. How many veggies do you eat in a day? What kinds? And you eat white bread only, right?

Have you been tested for celiac or gluten intolerance? You say you have a hard time with wheat and pretzels. Or is that only whole wheat? I'm like you...if I read bad things about a food, or have one bad experience with the food, I am hesitant to eat it again. But when you have pain everyday, it gets you into nutritional trouble.

Let me know how it goes with you doc...Good luck...hope he/she listens. I'm curious to see how he is going to react to the food allergy request. Most of the literature I've read says that IBS people have intolerances...not true allergies...so I've been reluctant to spend more money on tests that may not help. But hey, at least we would have peace of mind about the true allergy. But that still leaves the possibility of an intolerance.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: veggies new
      #259151 - 04/20/06 07:52 AM
Kiwii

Well, today I have eaten:

1 english muffin (light, multi-grain) 8grms of fiber, with All fruit spread.
Applesauce (warm) with milled flaxseed

Peppermint tea

Strawberry Boost

4 peanut butter & cheese crackers, & 5 strawberries...we'll see how well that goes over with the tummy.

I'll have a 1/2 apple later too.

For lunch I have:

2 sm. pc of chicken,
well cooked greenbeans & peas
white rice
chick peas w/ itailian dressing

Yestday I ate: (fruits & veggies)
1/2 apple,
chick peas,
mashed potatoes,
carrots,
green beans

I ate other things too, but that was it for veggies & such.
Yeah, I would only eat French, or sourdough bread if I were you. They're safe.
I haven't been tested for gluten or celiac yet. I hope to though.
No, I've been having a hard time with regular pretzels I think too. Either that, or my tummy is rebelling from having the same thing for toooo long.?
We'll see. I'll let you know how the GI appt goes!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Clynn...what the doc say... new
      #260130 - 04/26/06 06:55 AM
Augie

...about Triphala? Is it safe long term? How much per day?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Clynn...what the doc say... new
      #260131 - 04/26/06 06:58 AM
clynn

My appt. is on May 16th, so unfortunately we have to wait and see... I will be sure to let you all know...oh i hope its good news! ...its a pants unbuttoned day here again ugggg!!!!!

Re: Do a search on triphala new
      #261809 - 05/05/06 09:01 AM
jewels

Reged: 05/03/06
Loc: southern California

hi there! I have taken triphala and had good results.....never became dependent. The brand I was taking (found them in a health food type of store) were very large pills and thus require LOTS of water to wash them down. I felt a little bloated with all that water and definitly notice a straw like consistency in my poop ;o). Felt good though! Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review