All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Major Flare
      #258266 - 04/14/06 10:20 PM
AlyssaKaye2

Reged: 04/14/06

Well, it's been awhile since I've been here on the boards....I suppose that's a good sign though, because I've been doing really well. Definitely what I could consider stable. Still some Immodium here and there in situations that things might be bad to go awry, but mostly just Heather's wonderful diet. I've even gotten to the point where I could easily get away with "in good faith" cheating...the kind like ordering a turkey sandwhich or a chicken salad wrap or grilled chicken or something, without asking near as many questions...the kind where it was "probably safe" but might have had traces of milk/ egg yolk/ been a little too high in fat, etc. Things I never ever could have tolerated before, but basically still following the principles and such. I've certainly not gone out and had a cheeseburger and milkshake thought! Yikes--not even the slightest desire for those things anymore.

But, lately, the D is back, this time with bad nausea (but similar to the "impending feeling of doom" nausea that comes with D, more than the carsick kind of nausea, if that makes sense). And my happily balanced diet (plenty of food, lots of stir fry, grilled chicken and veggies, bread, rice, cooked fruits (and a few raw sometimes!) all that) has been drastically reduced in a desperate attempt to get things back under control. Now, in a normal day, I might eat a small bowl of oatmeal, and a small bowl of scrambled egg beaters with turkey. That seems to sit fine, but anymore more food (even more of those foods) or many other foods, and I'm spending the day in the bathroom. Sometimes a bit of tuna (no mayo or anything) or a Luna bar is alright too, so long as I haven't had much else. I'm baffled.

Tonight, for dinner I had microwave organic tofu Pad Thai (I hadn't had this particular brand before, but according to the box, it meets all the rules to the letter, perfect ingredients, no triggers, a small amount of veggies cooked, lots of noodles....Asian food has always been my happy safety net) and an ABC double chocolate decadent cookie (insert plug here for ABC: Alternative Baking Company, all kinds of delicious cookies with no dairy, eggs, HFCS, or trans-fats, ever) which I've had many times before. I was so sick I couldn't leave the bathroom.

I'm just baffled. I know my diet hasn't exactly reduced to the "what you can eat when you can't eat anything" type diet, but it wasn't intentionally, just where I ended up. At the beginning on the diet, I ate mostly pretzels and applesauce and babyfood, and even those lack appeal now. Just smelling food is enough to turn my stomach. I thought maybe it was just a stomach bug, but it's gone on for weeks, and the feeling of D is just too familiar for me to be in denial any longer.

I know I need variety in my diet, and I know I need to a way to be eating more food, but I'm just at a loss. I feel like I'm sucked back into a downward cycle....

Any words of wisdom out there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

See a doctor (m) new
      #258290 - 04/15/06 08:10 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I believe any change in symptoms that persists for more than a brief period should be checked out just to be cautious. If the doctor says everything looks okay, consider that you may have picked up a virus or bacteria and, even though the illness is gone, it has destabilized your system. I would then go back to the Break The Cycle diet for 2 or 3 days and see if that helps. (Sidenote: oatmeal really doesn't work for me most of the time - it's got a fair amount of IF in it.) Also, if there's any chance of it, ask your doctor to check whether you're pregnant.

Also, remember you can always try Imodium, Donnatol, and, if the doctor is willing, Tylenol with Codeine will absolutely shut down diarrhea for me and eliminate any painful cramps. (Insert usual caution about narcotics here.) Unfortunately, if you're sensitive to codeine, it might make the nausea worse, so approach with caution. (Luckily, I don't get nausea even during very bad D attacks, so that's not a concern for me.)

And, by the way? I absolutely love your "in good faith cheating" phrase. It's exactly what I do when I'm stable, but I never knew what to call it. Now I do - thanks!

HTH. Take care and feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: See a doctor (m) new
      #258479 - 04/17/06 06:41 AM
AlyssaKaye2

Reged: 04/14/06

Thanks so much....I think it must really just be something that just completely destabilized everything. I think I was taking for granted how very stable I was! <Insert neon sign that says "Yes, silly, you still have IBS-D" here> lol.

I was looking at the calendar to schedule the doctor's appointment, and realized that I think this all started about the same time as I had a major allergic reaction, and started a bunch of new drugs all at once. Mostly steriods and antihistamines, none seem to have listed any particular GI side-effects (anyone else have any experience with this?), but they are all at such high dosages that it could be just the general system upheaval, I suppose. Also, the combination of medications has prevented me from sleeping more than an hour or two a night, so I'm sure at this point, that it a factor contributing to my inability to get restabilized. Gah. As well, being alive and breathing is always a plus, I suppose that might just temporarily have to take priority over a life away from the toilet, and I'll just have to do what I can to keep some food *in* for the meantime!

So, I'm sitting here with my little cup of applesauce, pondering the rest of the food for the day, and a definite trip to the store. If I'm going to back away from my beloved oatmeal for a little while, I know Cream of Rice is a safe option, but does anyone actually *like* it? Most my friends here eat it with cheese/ bacon/ eggs other weird things in it....what are the other options? Is it edible with some cinnamon and brown sugar or something more like oatmeal? Also, I love arrowroot cookies, but I remember from last time that the gerber brand has some trigger in them (milk, I think?). Anyone know of a good generic brand? (I'm on the east coast).

Thanks so much....it's nice to know that the board is still here and supportive...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 600

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review