All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
candida
      #258243 - 04/14/06 07:07 PM
JeanneP

Reged: 04/14/06

I have been to a naturopath and was told I have yeast overgrowth in my intestines. I suffer from constipation and bloating and gas. The IBS diet contradicts the yeast free diet. Does anyone know what to do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: candida new
      #258244 - 04/14/06 07:30 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hello, I have that problem too. Probiotics have helped me a lot with the candidas and IBS.

Now to answer your question, instead of eating breads, you have to find low glycemic SF foods for example quinoa, 1 or 2 new potatoes only because they have less starch, barley, yams, turnips, small portion of basmati rice, avocado, and a small portion of pasta is okay too, I'd say about 1/2 cup. There's probably more, but that's what I can think of right now.
I found The G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop, and some of Dr. Perricone's books helpful in identifying low glycemic foods. Also remember that you have to have Insoluble Fibre in your diet such as fruits and vegetables; however, you may have to peel some of the fruits ie. apples, so your tummy can tollerate it, or have them in fruit smoothies. Your vegetables need to be more well cooked, mashed or purred so they can be digested more easily.

I hope this info helps.

#258249 - 04/14/06 07:55 PM
JeanneP

Reged: 04/14/06

Thanks for the reply. I am so confused at this point I don't know what to eat. I think I may have felt better when I was on the anti-candida diet. I am taking a probiotic, doesn't seem to make any difference.

#258253 - 04/14/06 08:03 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm also on that diet. It's not easy but little by little it helps. I take 6 probiotics/day. NO sugar, 1 serving/day fruit (I eat baby food fruit!), among many other things. Ask away!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#258263 - 04/14/06 09:15 PM
Gracie

If you felt better eating the anti-candida diet then continue following it. Perhaps after getting the candida under control if you're still having issues with IBS you can try out Heather's diet with the low glycemic SF foods.

Probiotics usually take about 3 months for someone to see a difference. How long have you been taking them?

#258269 - 04/15/06 05:11 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I went to a holistic dr. who told me I had candida as well. I tried taking some anti-fungal supplement he prescribed as well as following (somewhat loosely) the candida diet. I didn't feel any better and the diet was very restrictive. When I didn't see any results, the dr. sent me to a gastroenterologist, who ran a test for celiac and diagnosed IBS. I think the whole candida thing is probably bunk. It's not widely accepted as real in the medical community. If you look at the diagnosis criteria, almost everyone could suffer from this disease. I think it is just another thing to add to the anxiety us IBSers already have to deal with.

--------------------
Kim

#258286 - 04/15/06 07:16 AM
Gracie

Recently doctors have been telling patients to use probiotics especially after taking a round of antibiotics because they know that it negatively affects the flora in your gut. Not very long ago Nelly's doctor (MD) put her on one month of diflucan because of her problem with yeast in her system so it does exist.
Everyone may not be suseptable to developing this problem but some are so I wouldn't tell people it is bunk. Yes, this is your opinion but it doesn't make it true, and for someone who is struggling with it and trying to get better it may discourage them.

#258300 - 04/15/06 08:55 AM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

I was diagnosed with candida a couple of years ago and he put me on some anti fungal tablets and Inulin. Well lets just say I never finished the course because within 2 days my IBS D was probably the worst its ever been. Personally I'd just keep up the probiotics and try not to have excessive amounts of sugar or yeast. To be fair think you'll find your own way, you'll soon see what works for you and what doesnt. Good luck x

#258389 - 04/15/06 11:28 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

How did the naturopath diagnose the yeast overgrowth? You cannot know whether you have a yeast overgrowth unless you have certain medical tests done to determine this. Unless he/she did these tests, I'd be hesitant to accept this as the cause of your intestinal problems.

My two cents... new
      #258390 - 04/15/06 11:32 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I had a similar experience with a nutritionist. In response to Gracie's comment, I don't think Kim was trying to belittle the possibility of yeast overgrowth. It's just very very common in these naturopath/alternative medicine communities to easily dismiss our IBS problems as something that is due to yeast and not to a functional problem, which we know it is. I can't tell you how many people I know who have had the same thing told to them.

Yeast overgrowht can happen and can be systemic, but it is pretty rare. Plus, it is usually induced by long-term antibiotic use, which is probably what happened to Nelly.

All Kim, and myself, are saying is be wary of such "easy" diagnoses. It's best to see a GI and be tested for this rather than alter your diet so radically when it may only make things worse.

Re: My two cents... new
      #258394 - 04/16/06 07:05 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Thanks Amanda! That is what I was saying. It is very discouraging to stress yourself out over a very restrictive diet, and not see any results. I just didn't want someone else to go through that unnecessarily. Also, in my case, I had not been on antibiotics in years, and had no other symptoms of yeast. I've never had a yeast infection, I didn't have joint pain which is supposed to be common, I don't eat a diet high in refined sugar...so, I felt this diagnosis was rushed.

--------------------
Kim

Re: My two cents... new
      #258402 - 04/16/06 08:43 AM
Gracie

Yes you do need to be tested. You shouldn't just take someone's word for it be it doctor or naturopath.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review